Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

"We don't need those fans anyway!"

Let's see where Maddox Fleming and the other 04 MN prospects choose to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Regulators15 View Post
      A lot of people were genuinely upset about the conference transition and how the administration has handled it, and I think this shows in a number of ways publicly.
      The administration had no say in the matter when the Big Ten presidents voted on starting up a Big Ten conference. They couldn't have handled it different but moreover we need to move on from the glory days. Right now winnng will cure the attendance problem at 3M and going deep into the NCAA's.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        The administration had no say in the matter when the Big Ten presidents voted on starting up a Big Ten conference. They couldn't have handled it different but moreover we need to move on from the glory days. Right now winnng will cure the attendance problem at 3M and going deep into the NCAA's.
        More information on the Big Ten Hockey Conference....
        As I recall, there was no decision to make on the part of the presidents because it is written into Big Ten by-laws that if 6 schools have a team in a particular sport, then the Big Ten will sponsor a conference in that sport, and all members are required to play in the Big Ten Conference for that sport. So, as soon as PSU started, it was mandated.

What I don't recall is how the U of M administration handled that information when the B10 hockey conference was started. Surely it was a difficult situation at best. They likely wanted to say , "Hey, we all know that the WCHA is the best thing that has ever been in college hockey, and that the Final Five in St Paul is the greatest college hockey tourney of all. So, we just hate this, and if we had another choice, we would take the other choice. But, the Big Ten mandates this change. So, please bear with us. We as a program don't like losing UND and so many other schools from our schedule either...."
        But, they can't really say that, because they can't through the B10 under the bus. So, likely, the message would get muddled...."We are excited about this change. The Big Ten is a great conference and we are happy there is now going to be hockey. Even though we will miss what was before, this is a great opportunity...." yada yada yada....

That would have been a tough spot for the administration for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
          Probably correct that the move to the B1G was inevitable. The decision was announced in 2011, in the three seasons leading up to that, the Gophers had been in a pretty serious downturn--I have to think this impacted the decision for a fresh look. That said, I am not sure some of the representations made by people like Joel Maturi helped out, e.g. statements that some of the classic rivalries would continue, even I think most in the athletic department knew that modern scheduling challenges made that impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
            As I recall, there was no decision to make on the part of the presidents because it is written into Big Ten by-laws that if 6 schools have a team in a particular sport, then the Big Ten will sponsor a conference in that sport, and all members are required to play in the Big Ten Conference for that sport. So, as soon as PSU started, it was mandated.

What I don't recall is how the U of M administration handled that information when the B10 hockey conference was started. Surely it was a difficult situation at best. They likely wanted to say , "Hey, we all know that the WCHA is the best thing that has ever been in college hockey, and that the Final Five in St Paul is the greatest college hockey tourney of all. So, we just hate this, and if we had another choice, we would take the other choice. But, the Big Ten mandates this change. So, please bear with us. We as a program don't like losing UND and so many other schools from our schedule either...."
            But, they can't really say that, because they can't through the B10 under the bus. So, likely, the message would get muddled...."We are excited about this change. The Big Ten is a great conference and we are happy there is now going to be hockey. Even though we will miss what was before, this is a great opportunity...." yada yada yada....

Here was the initial statement at the time: https://gophersports.com/news/2011/3...Ten_Sport.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post

I’m pretty sure it’s not required as soon as six start. It’s six plus someone has to call a vote.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I think it's pretty well known Lucia didn't love the idea (rightfully so).

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  I think it's pretty well known Lucia didn't love the idea (rightfully so).
                  The only person who was thrilled with this idea was goofball Larry in the Club Hockey Forum. He was always talking about that this was going to happen. Totally obnoxious to be honest.
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

With way too many forwards lined up, Strobel will clearly replace someone (Braccini, Huglen (injury)) and it will be interesting to see what Pinioniemi and Warner do next season. Warner hasn't looked amazing when I've seen him. I know the Mittelstadts were a package deal but idk if the older one is going to contribute all that much at the college level. It would be nice to replace another one of the 01 undrafted guys with an instant contributor.

Comment

Good news for the Gophers. The semi game will be played before zero fans in an effort to curb the spread of tVirus. With the attendance at Mariucci down for the games last weekend, the Gophers should feel right at home.

The semifinal game will be played Saturday at 6 p.m. in University Park, Pennsylvania, and all fans who purchased tickets will be provided refunds. Fans are not be allowed at any Penn State home athletic competitions. The only people allowed to PSU competitions are:

Essential personnel as designated by Penn State Intercollegiate Athletics
                      Participating student-athletes, coaches and staff
                      Families of participating student-athletes, coaches and staff
                      Media
                      Penn State recruits
                      The regionals and most likely the NCAA F4 and championship game this season will also be played before zero fans. That's a pain for those who have F4 tics.

NCAA President Mark Emmert announced Wednesday afternoon that all upcoming championship events, including the men’s and women’s basketball and men’s and women’s hockey tournaments, will be played with only essential team staff and limited family attendance.
                      Last edited by SteveO; 03-12-2020, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                        With way too many forwards lined up, Strobel will clearly replace someone (Braccini, Huglen (injury)) and it will be interesting to see what Pinioniemi and Warner do next season. Warner hasn't looked amazing when I've seen him. I know the Mittelstadts were a package deal but idk if the older one is going to contribute all that much at the college level. It would be nice to replace another one of the 01 undrafted guys with an instant contributor.
                        Best of luck to [strike]our mole[/strike] your new recruit.

[evil laughter]
                        MUAH HA HA HA HA HA
                        [/evil laughter]

Edit: Dammit, forum! Format my joke properly!
                        Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 03-12-2020, 09:56 AM.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Well, season is gonna be over folks.

Comment

Didn't realize Ben Meyers was even under consideration for ROTY. He's got potential star power, but CC will win it hands down.

Comment

Yes, he won't win it but he's clearly on the All Freshman Team and he ended up with EXACTLY the same stat line as Walker last year. He's good. Lacombe will probably make it because there were not many freshmen D contributing.

Moe will the be goalie on that team because there were no other freshmen goalies in the conference.

Comment

***? Why cancel playoffs? It's not like fans can't all sit with 30 seats between them and the next spectator, the way college hockey fans have been turning out.

Comment

Working...
                                X