Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

It's all moot anyway because they didn't show up. Pretty much have to win the tournament now, which they definitely won't if the last three weeks are any indication.

Always next year...
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
      Always next year...
      Gopher hockey's slogan

Comment

For two weekends in a row the Golden Gophers controlled their own destiny and could have either captured sole possession of 1st in the B1G or tied for 1st. Neither was the case as the Golden Gophers couldn't get a W and looked more like the Golden Chokers going 0-2-2. Thanks to Sparty shutting down ND with a W/T, the Gophers still retained home ice for the first round vs ND.

Last night was disappointing. The Gophers looked out of sync on the fundamentals for much of the game. Their passing was off, there was little structure in the O-zone, and despite a few short surges of offense, there was nothing substantial there. Credit Mich who executed a good defensive game plan and kept the Gophers on the perimeter for much of the game. Despite some inspirational hustle by Sammy Walker and Scott Reedy, quite a few guys looked totally inept at getting good scoring chances on Mann.

I was just looking over the pairwise and there's always many scenarios at this time of the season. But the good news is there is a path for the Gophers to get back into the 4th band. With a little help (i.e. UConn beats Mass-Lowell AND/OR Providence beats Maine) and a sweep of ND we can be back at #13-14.

Interesting matchup next weekend. ND and the Gophers have identical records (14-13-7, H2H: 1-1-2). It's the end of the postseason for the loser. ND ended the Gopher's season last year in South Bend. Now it's our turn, if the Gophers can start playing a full 60 min again.
        Last edited by SteveO; 03-01-2020, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I would not get your hopes up about everything else going their way and getting in from 13-14. Tourney win or bust.

Comment

There's a path to the NCAAs w/o a tourney win.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
              There's a path to the NCAAs w/o a tourney win.
              And what is the probability? For example, what is the probability of a tourney bid with a sweep and semi win and final loss? Without numbers it doesn't mean much.

Comment

IMO, the Gophers simply showed their lack of experience under pressure the last couple of weeks. They had an opportunity to control their destiny, and fell short. I think this will pay off in the future, though. Get that experience, that atmosphere, and then learn from it.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                  Get that experience, that atmosphere, and then learn from it.
                  Really too bad they've gone backwards since reaching No. 12 in the PairWise, just when attendance was picking up (17,762 tickets sold for this past weekend). Those who bought tickets and showed up Friday witnessed a super-exciting game, one of the most captivating of the season. But last night's game was terribly disappointing and, quite frankly, a little boring as the team didn't have near the energy level for most of the game.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The Gophers were 0-4 in games with higher than 9K paid attendance.

Comment

Ouch! Not the way to rebuild your fandom.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                        The Gophers were 0-4 in games with higher than 9K paid attendance.
                        We can always count on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          We can always count on you.
                          Eeyoritis virus?

Comment

Motzko has a prediction about how this series will go. “I’ve been doing this a while, and I can tell you I’ve been to a whole bunch of three-game series,” he said. “And I guarantee you, the way it’s playing out with our team, we’re going to see overtime, too, the way that Notre Dame and our team’s lined up. I think it’s inevitable that this thing could be three games. - USCHO”
                            inevitable/could. Not looking forward to a three game series. For the sake of the PWR, the Gophers need to get it done in two.

Comment

Most of us are thinking tournament win or bust anyways so three games is fine. I've yet to see a probability of making the tournament with 3-1 or 3-2 in the Big Ten tournament.

The AL/AQ columns here are misleading because they sum to 100%, which doesn't make sense as UND should have AL of 100%.
                              https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ra...lityMatrix.php

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                                Most of us are thinking tournament win or bust anyways so three games is fine. I've yet to see a probability of making the tournament with 3-1 or 3-2 in the Big Ten tournament.

The AL/AQ columns here are misleading because they sum to 100%, which doesn't make sense as UND should have AL of 100%.
                                https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ra...lityMatrix.php
                                Don't use the KRACH link. Notwithstanding CHN's bias, it's statistically useless. No, three games is not the best scenario for the Gophers. They do NOT need to win the tourney, but they will need some "feasible" help. Anyone who says they do, does not understand the PWR system. But I'm not going through the stat analysis here.
                                Last edited by SteveO; 03-05-2020, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X