Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Wait, as in just visors on the helmets? No full masks?

Because they’re still kids playing for sport, not money.
    You know they all wear them in the USHL right....

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      You know they all wear them in the USHL right....
      And? It's an insurance issue...not gonna change.
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

God forbid we make a change to aid player recognition for young fans in our niche sport that is on a decline.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
          And? It's an insurance issue...not gonna change.
          Exactly, the ruling is insurance based and players getting stitches and teeth knocked out can be expensive and a burden on insurance costs. Whether a cage or bubble, I've played in both and most players adapt and don't really care.

Although, the other side of the issue from a safety standpoint is the Gladiator Effect. The term comes from the theory that the more protection a player wears, the more invincible he feels on the ice, like a gladiator in full armor. With a full cage on, players are more prone to act recklessly on the ice, whether it’s in the form of high-sticking or overly-aggressive use of body checking.

Comment

God forbid we make a change to aid player recognition for young fans in our niche sport that is on a decline.
            "aid player recognition"??

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
              "aid player recognition"??
              Think about this. Brian Bonin was my favorite player as I was starting to play and fall in love with hockey. I would imitate his celebration on one knee over and over. But at that age I probably could not have picked him out of a line. All I knew was 21.

Fedorov was my favorite NHL player at the same time. I knew his face. Why? Because you see the NHL player faces the whole game. And I can tell you at that time I loved the Red Wings more than the Gophers.

The same thing is happening with kids today. Most of them couldn't pick their favorite Gophers out of a line. But they could probably nail almost all the Wild players.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                Exactly, the ruling is insurance based and players getting stitches and teeth knocked out can be expensive and a burden on insurance costs. Whether a cage or bubble, I've played in both and most players adapt and don't really care.

Although, the other side of the issue from a safety standpoint is the Gladiator Effect. The term comes from the theory that the more protection a player wears, the more invincible he feels on the ice, like a gladiator in full armor. With a full cage on, players are more prone to act recklessly on the ice, whether it’s in the form of high-sticking or overly-aggressive use of body checking.
                Man the USHL, which is raking in cash way better than the NCAA, must have amazing insurance!

Comment

Man the USHL, which is raking in cash way better than the NCAA, must have amazing insurance!
                  Two entirely different sports entities with vastly different rulings and player implications. Stating that the USHL is "raking in" more revenue than the NCAA (I assume only in hockey) is comical.

First chicken little sighting of the season.

Comment

Exhibition games are typically experimental. But the 2-2 tie with the Mt. Royal Cougars is unprecedented. The Gophers have never tied or lost an exhibition game before the official beginning of the season in 20 years or more. Moreover, they have never scored ONLY 2 PPGs with no even strength goals in an opening exhibition game.
                    Last edited by SteveO; 10-07-2019, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Are you drunk?
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

CC on the road will prove to be a challenge for this young Gopher team as the season begins this Fri-Sat at Broadmoor World Arena. CC is fast in transition and their D are a mix of shutdown with an offensive upside. The Gophers will face a CC returning lineup with a lot of speed and scoring depth. Goaltending might be the biggest question mark for both teams with new netminder recruits in the lineup.

Not much can be gleaned from the ex on Sunday except that the Gophers have never tied an ex game at the beginning of the season, trailing in the game until the third and ending the contest in a tie with no ESGs. Perhaps with the exception of Brodzinski (and that remains to be seen at this level from a HS recruit) I don't see any standout natural goal scorers. Walker could elevate his game this season. His speed is dynamic, but my concern is he seemed to struggle handling the puck in front on several occasions last season when capping off his drive to the net. Some of the worst accuracy came from Sampo Ranta who had 5 SAs and only 1 SOG. Reedy was second with 5 SA and 2 SOG. Those are two guys who must improve to make up for the 55% of scoring lost with the departure of Pitlick, Sheehy and others.
                        Last edited by SteveO; 10-11-2019, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Bobbie Bohlig, the SCSU alumna?

She's regressing in her career, moving to the lowly Gopher hockey broadcasts.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

There's a reason the hottest ones usually end up at SCSU, UND, and MNSU

Comment

Finally it is GAME DAY Gopher fans! And just to get the players in the mood, it's going feel like January in Colorado Springs as temps are dropping to below zero overnight.

The Gophers will face an early challenge with the CC Tigers who return approximately 60% of their scoring. CC has a backline with a combo of speed transition and shutdown D. They can also score with players like defensiveman Brian Yoon whose 26 points last season were the most by a Colorado College freshman since St. Louis Blues forward Jaden Schwartz during the 2010-11 season. Forwards Ben Copeland, Chris Wilkie, Grant Cruikshank, Alex Berardinelli, Christiano Versich each had near 20 pts last season and are expected to step up and fill the void lost by 4 top scoring seniors.

The Gophers are the youngest team in the NCAA this season and will need to make immediate corrections from their ex game that according to Motzko was replete with turnovers and too much "cuteness" or individual vs team play. I suspect we'll see a lot of protection around the net from the young D with Sr Tyler Nanne providing some offensive surge from the backline. Other than the new BMW line which now inc. Bryce Brodzinski, the Gophers will need much more offensive production from some of the returning players like Ranta, McManus, Reedy and Burke all of whom with the exception of McManus, had very few SOG in the ex. tie with Mount Royal.

The question mark in the series is the netminders from both teams. The Tigers acquired Ryan Ruck from Northeastern as a graduate transfer (graduated last May) with one yr of eligibility left. He may be the veteran starter for CC in the series. The Gophers brought all three goalies. I'd like to see Jack Lafontaine in net who has NCAA experience and was named BCHL's Top Goaltender last season for the Penticton Vees.

The elevation factor could pose a challenge for the Gophers who practiced yesterday in Colorado Springs, an elevation of 6,230 feet, roughly 1,000 feet higher than Denver. Much like Mariucci, Broadmoor has the Olympic sheet with deep corners. With the elevation, I expect short shifts from both teams and lots of energy from CC in their season opener on home ice. Although ranked 6th in the NCHC season poll the Tigers have high hopes this season. The underdog Gophers will need to hit the ice strong and play a full 60 of error-free and "stay out of the box" hockey if they expect to split this series. This might not be pretty.

Comment

Game day. *squee*
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X