• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post

Well that was disappointing. Thought they might get win when they scored second goal so quickly after CC's. LaFontaine looked a little like one of A.P.'s kids in the beginning of the game. Fumbled the puck a few times. He doesn't appear to be the 'minimize motion by playing perfect position' type of goalie like Robson. Tough to judge with just one game. He looked OK, but didn't do anything to make me think he would be stealing a lot of games for us either.

So what is the cost to stream on the NaCHO net?

Oh yeah, I don't usually pay attention to uni's, but I thought CC's were ugly and very hard to read on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        Well that was disappointing. Thought they might get win when they scored second goal so quickly after CC's. LaFontaine looked a little like one of A.P.'s kids in the beginning of the game. Fumbled the puck a few times. He doesn't appear to be the 'minimize motion by playing perfect position' type of goalie like Robson. Tough to judge with just one game. He looked OK, but didn't do anything to make me think he would be stealing a lot of games for us either.

Oh yeah, I don't usually pay attention to uni's, but I thought CC's were ugly and very hard to read on TV.
        I thought LaFontaine did ok, made some nice saves and didn't have much of a chance on 2 CC goals. I think Motzko may give him another shot tonight. Gophers showed increasing moments of puck possession in the third, but CC boxed out around the crease, didn't allow much inside and was very fast in transition. They more than matched the Gopher's speed. CC had the better two-man forecheck throughout the game and that was a key to shutting down the Gopher's transition game.

NCHC TV I think is $15 a game. CC's unis looked like practice jerseys. They should shelve those forever. Must win tonight for later PWR implications.
        Last edited by SteveO; 10-12-2019, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Yeah I chalk that result up to CC’s goalie outplaying ours and penalties mostly. Outside of that it was pretty even and each team missed some great chances. I do like the more fire wagon approach that we saw and it was a fun game to watch even if the result wasn’t what I hoped for. The new D seem more mobile especially Johnson and you could see that when they had puck possession in the offensive zone, unlike much of last year and the years before where they just stood like a statue near the blue line and then threw it away out of fear of a turnover.

And yeah playing on the road in that elevation for the first game with this super young team isn’t ideal to say the least. I went on a trip there after biking all summer and I remember just biking a couple miles to a bar and it felt like I’d drank 3 beers before doing it, you just can’t get enough oxygen to your legs compared to what you’re used to and that’s a far more leisurely activity than going full anaerobic for however many shifts a game.
          Last edited by trixR4kids; 10-12-2019, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            Yeah I chalk that result up to CC’s goalie outplaying ours and penalties mostly. Outside of that it was pretty even and each team missed some great chances. I do like the more fire wagon approach that we saw and it was a fun game to watch even if the result wasn’t what I hoped for.

And yeah playing on the road in that elevation for the first game with this super young team isn’t ideal to say the least. I went on a trip there after biking all summer and I remember just biking a couple miles to a bar and it felt like I’d drank 3 beers before doing it, you just can’t get enough oxygen to your legs compared to what you’re used to and that’s a far more leisurely activity than going full anaerobic for however many shifts a game.
            I think it was Wilkie that had 3 pipes and Halloran had one for CC. Gophers missed some open sides too. Brodzinski needs to get pucks on net, no SOG last night.

Comment

It's about $17 for the stream.

This team is a work in progress, I expect nothing. However, I see much promise as they learn to gel, and as they grow. I hope to see an almost full 4 year team, no one leaves early (and that's a pipe dream). Rough year this year, but next year...look out.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Nice come from behind win for the Gophers. Gophers lost on a PPG last night, but It was CC tonight that shot themselves in the foot in the 2nd taking five penalties and the Gopher PP took advantage with 2 PPGs. I thought Ranta was tenacious and aggressive, McLaughlin showed his skill in open space to get the winning goal and honestly the entire Gopher D played with poise and executed well in the zone to shutdown CC for 2/3 periods.

Moe appeared to be a bit shaky in the first and then settled down. The Gopher D played very well in front of him for the remainder of the game, and especially brilliant was killing off the 5 min major to Sammy allowing CC very few SOG.

Guys like Meyers, Perbix, LaCombe, Johnson, Staudacher stood out for me in this series as skilled players to watch develop this season. This team has the potential to play some very exciting and opportunistic hockey and to come from behind for a W is an early sign of the resilience and tenacity of this team. Overall, a good series split on the road and a lot to build on for this young and maturing Gopher squad.

Comment

I only saw bits and pieces of these games... Mostly between periods and after the UND games. What I saw was very entertaining hockey. Both teams have players that should excite their relative fanbases. It does seem that former Hawk Wilkie had it out for the gophers lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                    Nice come from behind win for the Gophers. Gophers lost on a PPG last night, but It was CC tonight that shot themselves in the foot in the 2nd taking five penalties and the Gopher PP took advantage with 2 PPGs. I thought Ranta was tenacious and aggressive, McLaughlin showed his skill in open space to get the winning goal and honestly the entire Gopher D played with poise and executed well in the zone to shutdown CC for 2/3 periods.

Moe appeared to be a bit shaky in the first and then settled down. The Gopher D played very well in front of him for the remainder of the game, and especially brilliant was killing off the 5 min major to Sammy allowing CC very few SOG.

Guys like Meyers, Perbix, LaCombe, Johnson, Staudacher stood out for me in this series as skilled players to watch develop this season. This team has the potential to play some very exciting and opportunistic hockey and to come from behind for a W is an early sign of the resilience and tenacity of this team. Overall, a good series split on the road and a lot to build on for this young and maturing Gopher squad.
                    Almost wish I had splurged on the stream. On the other hand, I'm glad I forgot the Wild were on. That could be a long season.

Comment

1. Are we down to like 4 posters here?
                      2. I assume it is no longer possible to put a smiley at he beginning of a thread?
                      3. haven't looked lately, are there still UND tickets?
                      4. Anyone going to Duluth?

Comment

Most have gone to the team boards. If anyone is left here, it's mostly like Indy Jones. Wondering about the artifacts.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

1. Are we down to like 4 posters here?
                          2. I assume it is no longer possible to put a smiley at he beginning of a thread?
                          3. haven't looked lately, are there still UND tickets?
                          4. Anyone going to Duluth?
                          1. Part timer here but will probably get more active as the season ramps up. Given GPL and other social media this board's priority has dropped off for me.
                          2. Not sure
                          3. Just looked at the website. Fewer options on Friday than Thursday
                          4. No

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                          Twenty red lights in his honor
                          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                            Most have gone to the team boards. If anyone is left here, it's mostly like Indy Jones. Wondering about the artifacts.
                            And that's why you're posting here?

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                              1. Part timer here but will probably get more active as the season ramps up. Given GPL and other social media this board's priority has dropped off for me.
                              Always enjoy your unique candid humor.

Comment

Back from an extended Caribbean vacation and still trying to adjust to the 50 degree temperature drop.

Very much looking forward to seeing the Gophers in person for the first time this weekend.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X