No announcement yet.

WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

What are your biggest surprises so far this year?

I'd have to say Alaska competing for home ice, Bowling Green struggling, Tech not being in the top 4 either. I was expecting Mankato, BGSU, NMU, and Tech, not Mankato, Bemidji, NMU, and UA (blank).
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
      What are your biggest surprises so far this year?

I'd have to say Alaska competing for home ice, Bowling Green struggling, Tech not being in the top 4 either. I was expecting Mankato, BGSU, NMU, and Tech, not Mankato, Bemidji, NMU, and UA (blank).

I never get predictions right, so I'm taking some time to brag this year. From my preseason forecast on this thread: "Surprise team this year - UAF. I liked some of their youngsters last year (particularly the Jandrics) and goaltending should be a real strength. The new coach at BGSU is sort of a wildcard."

I didn't rank the teams, so "Surprise" is a vague term. Nevertheless, I'm taking credit for nailing Alaska and BGSU! As far as what surprises me, I thought NMU would be good as a team, but I'm really surprised at the scoring improvement from Loughran and DeMey. With several games left to play, they've already topped last year's totals by 17 and 18 points, respectively.

Comment

Being a BSU fan, I am pleasantly surprised by them this year. At the beginning of the year, I felt they were a year away. But, the freshmen and sophomores have really stepped up (five of the top 10, six of the top 12 scorers). All without junior Brendan Harris, who was to be a key contributor this year.

Now, if they could have only won a game or two in the non-conference portion of their schedule.
        Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 02-10-2020, 12:54 PM.
        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I have to say that Alaska and Bemidji surprised me being as good as they are. Honestly, the whole league is better than last year in terms of quality of play.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            I have to say that Alaska and Bemidji surprised me being as good as they are. Honestly, the whole league is better than last year in terms of quality of play.
            To continue that thought, BSU up on NMU in Marquette 5-0 the start of the 3rd. The 2 power-play goals by BSU's Adam Brady made it 4-0 and 5-0.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
              To continue that thought, BSU up on NMU in Marquette 5-0 the start of the 3rd. The 2 power-play goals by BSU's Adam Brady made it 4-0 and 5-0.
              I am surprised by this, but very happy as well! Tomorrow night will be a new game and the Beavers need it to get closer to the Mavs. I want that last weekend to mean something in Bemidji.
              Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                I am surprised by this, but very happy as well! Tomorrow night will be a new game and the Beavers need it to get closer to the Mavs. I want that last weekend to mean something in Bemidji.
                unless they completely implode, BSU could be playing for an at-large bid...plenty of value there if they keep winning. They're up to 12 right now...
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  unless they completely implode, BSU could be playing for an at-large bid...plenty of value there if they keep winning. They're up to 12 right now...
                  I think Bemidji plays the type of style that could have success in the tournament if they make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                    I think Bemidji plays the type of style that could have success in the tournament if they make it.
                    If they get in, I'm rooting for another Frozen Four run for them. I remember watching them blow up Notre Dame and Cornell in the 2009 regional...
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Beavers get the sweep with a 5-1 win (2 empty net goals) tonight over Northern.

Comment

If they get in, I'm rooting for another Frozen Four run for them. I remember watching them blow up Notre Dame and Cornell in the 2009 regional...
                        I will be rooting for them as well.

Comment

I will not root for Bemidji. I rooted for them once in the postseason. That's enough for my lifetime.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
                            Beavers get the sweep with a 5-1 win (2 empty net goals) tonight over Northern.
                            Yeah. They're the better team. However, I was expecting close, not a combined score of 10-1 over the past two games.

Comment

Yeah. They're the better team. However, I was expecting close, not a combined score of 10-1 over the past two games.
                              yeah, I feel alot better about MTU's trip to Bemidji after what BSU has done the last 12 games...
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

As always, let me know if I missed anything. I have not even started looking at tiebreakers.

Team, GP, Points, Possible Points, Possible Finish

Mankato 24 GP, 62, 74, 1-2 (home ice in first and second round)
                                Bemidji 24 GP, 57, 69, 1-2 (home ice in first and second round)
                                Northern 24 GP, 44, 56, 3-7 (playoff berth)
                                Alaska 26 GP, 43, 49, 3-7 (playoff berth)
                                Tech 26 GP, 41, 47, 3-7 (playoff berth)
                                BGSU 24 GP, 37, 49, 3-7 (playoff berth)
                                Lake 24 GP, 32, 44, 3-8 (playoff berth)
                                UAA 24 GP, 20, 32, 7-10
                                Ferris 24 GP, 17, 29, 8-10
                                UAH 24 GP, 13, 25, 8-10

Remaining Schedules

Mankato: UAH, at BSU
                                BSU: at UAA, Mankato
                                Northern: at Lake, home and home with Tech
                                Alaska: Bye, UAA
                                Tech: Bye, home and home with Northern
                                Bowling Green: Ferris, at UAH
                                Lake: Northern, at Ferris
                                UAA: BSU, at Alaska
                                Ferris: at Bowling Green, Lake
                                UAH: at Mankato, Bowling Green
                                Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 02-18-2020, 09:34 AM.
                                Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Working...
                                X