Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

    Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Playoffs are set

    Anchorage at Mankato
    Bowling Green at Alaska
    Michigan Tech at Northern Michigan
    Lake Superior State at Bemidji
    It's particularly appropriate that BG goes to Fairbanks.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

    Comment


    • Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
      Now you don't have to fret about it.
      Lol.

      I’ll be surprised if we don’t see BSU/MSU in Mankato for the playoff title.
      AF 99

      M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

      Comment


      • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

        Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
        Lol.

        I’ll be surprised if we don’t see BSU/MSU in Mankato for the playoff title.
        anybody in the 3-6 range could get hot and screw that up though...I would put it as a coin flip
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

        Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          anybody in the 3-6 range could get hot and screw that up though...I would put it as a coin flip
          I hear you, I just think those two teams are head and shoulders above the rest of the league, and both playing great hockey right now too.
          AF 99

          M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
            Lol.

            I’ll be surprised if we don’t see BSU/MSU in Mankato for the playoff title.
            BSU has to get the first round jinx out of their system. I really hope this is the year!
            Millsy

            NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
            FROZEN FOUR 2009!


            "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

            BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

            Comment


            • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

              Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
              I hear you, I just think those two teams are head and shoulders above the rest of the league, and both playing great hockey right now too.
              that might be true right now... But I can say our team will definitely show up.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

              It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

              Comment


              • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                I purchased Flohockey this past weekend in hopes that I can enjoy each of the final four weekends with at least one of my two teams playing all the way to the final. I figured, for $7.50 a weekend, it would be worth it. Overall, the quality is, at best, acceptable. I watched the NMU/Tech, BSU/MSU and UAA/UA_ series. Friday night, specifically, the Alaska series didn't even turn on until 5ish minutes into the game.

                Considering that I've had ESPN+ since January (NMU/Cornell) & how that compares for literally 20% of the price, I'd say the top priority of the CCHA should be trying to get on with ESPN+. Or at least find a way to offer a lower price for what Flo offers (single team options, etc).
                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

                AHA:
                B1G: UMinn, UWisc
                ECAC:
                HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
                NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

                Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

                Comment


                • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                  Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                  I purchased Flohockey this past weekend in hopes that I can enjoy each of the final four weekends with at least one of my two teams playing all the way to the final. I figured, for $7.50 a weekend, it would be worth it. Overall, the quality is, at best, acceptable. I watched the NMU/Tech, BSU/MSU and UAA/UA_ series. Friday night, specifically, the Alaska series didn't even turn on until 5ish minutes into the game.

                  Considering that I've had ESPN+ since January (NMU/Cornell) & how that compares for literally 20% of the price, I'd say the top priority of the CCHA should be trying to get on with ESPN+. Or at least find a way to offer a lower price for what Flo offers (single team options, etc).
                  agreed. We've harped on this almost weekly on the podcast. For the price point asked of fans, WCHA on FloHockey is pathetic. There was a weekend when MTU was at FSU where we didn't get to watch until 16:00 left in the first and then on Saturday, the audio was like 30 seconds ahead of the video...it seems like multiple arenas don't really care about what they're producing, they're just trying to get something out.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

                  Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

                  Comment


                  • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                    I agree with everything that has been said about Flo. I accept the cost because I do watch some of the other sports that Flo offers. That being said, the quality is horrible at times and I too put that on the schools. The CCHA could find a top-notch inexpensive outlet but if the schools send crap out of the rink, you'll get crap on your tv.

                    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                    • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                      Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      agreed. We've harped on this almost weekly on the podcast. For the price point asked of fans, WCHA on FloHockey is pathetic. There was a weekend when MTU was at FSU where we didn't get to watch until 16:00 left in the first and then on Saturday, the audio was like 30 seconds ahead of the video...it seems like multiple arenas don't really care about what they're producing, they're just trying to get something out.
                      Sure there are some problems at times, but it's not just a WCHA issue. For example, Flo gets some BTN+ games and I watched the Lake State at Michigan feed earlier in the season on it. The Michigan feed was pretty bad with announcers' mics left on over breaks and graphics directly from the Yost jumbotron interrupting live game action. You'd expect UM to have a better product than that, but it was worse than any WCHA school's production.

                      The thing I think Flo should offer is a single team road game package. For me, the price is well worth it because I can't make any LSSU home games living well out of the market and there is value having nearly every home and road game available, and on demand if I'm not able to watch live. For someone who has the ability to get to the games in person, I think the price is pretty steep.

                      Comment


                      • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                        Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
                        Sure there are some problems at times, but it's not just a WCHA issue. For example, Flo gets some BTN+ games and I watched the Lake State at Michigan feed earlier in the season on it. The Michigan feed was pretty bad with announcers' mics left on over breaks and graphics directly from the Yost jumbotron interrupting live game action. You'd expect UM to have a better product than that, but it was worse than any WCHA school's production.

                        The thing I think Flo should offer is a single team road game package. For me, the price is well worth it because I can't make any LSSU home games living well out of the market and there is value having nearly every home and road game available, and on demand if I'm not able to watch live. For someone who has the ability to get to the games in person, I think the price is pretty steep.
                        The problem is the price, when compared to other streaming services, is way out of line. There is zero reason Flo should cost 80% more than ESPN+. While some of you may enjoy the other sports offerings from Flo, I guarantee they'd get more subscribers for a lower price point offering either conference or single team access.
                        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

                        AHA:
                        B1G: UMinn, UWisc
                        ECAC:
                        HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
                        NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                        WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

                        Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

                        Comment


                        • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                          Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          agreed. We've harped on this almost weekly on the podcast.
                          I just recently started listening to the podcast. You guys do a good job (pukes in my mouth complementing a Tech fan)
                          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

                          AHA:
                          B1G: UMinn, UWisc
                          ECAC:
                          HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
                          NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                          WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

                          Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

                          Comment


                          • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                            Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                            The problem is the price, when compared to other streaming services, is way out of line. There is zero reason Flo should cost 80% more than ESPN+. While some of you may enjoy the other sports offerings from Flo, I guarantee they'd get more subscribers for a lower price point offering either conference or single team access.
                            FloSports: $150
                            BTN+: $119.95
                            NCHC TV: $112.95
                            ESPN+: $49.99

                            Don't get me wrong, I wish it was cheaper but I don't think it's fair to compare it to ESPN+. The annual price should probably be more aligned with BTN+ and NCHC.tv, so put it at $115 or so.

                            Comment


                            • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                              Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
                              FloSports: $150
                              BTN+: $119.95
                              NCHC TV: $112.95
                              ESPN+: $49.99

                              Don't get me wrong, I wish it was cheaper but I don't think it's fair to compare it to ESPN+. The annual price should probably be more aligned with BTN+ and NCHC.tv, so put it at $115 or so.
                              If I didn't know better, I'd think ESPN was lowballing the price, knowing that at their size, they can outlast other services and eventually gain a monopoly. But that would be an anti-competitive practice, and Disney would never do something like that, particularly with a streaming service.

                              On a more serious note, I really enjoy the quality of picture coming out of Bemidji. They're doing something right on their end of the deal.

                              Comment


                              • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                                My comparison with ESPN+ has to do with the fact that Flo & ESPN are the only services in this comparison with multiple conferences and dozens of sports from across the world. I get that Disney owns one & that partly accounts for the difference in cost, but if Flo can't figure out how to satisfy the fans who don't care about the worldwide options, either they need to figure out a single conference/team option, or the CCHA needs to find a better streaming partner.
                                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

                                AHA:
                                B1G: UMinn, UWisc
                                ECAC:
                                HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
                                NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                                WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

                                Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X