No announcement yet.

WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I would assume we go back to the first tiebreaker and UAF would finish 3 while MTU would finish 4 since UAF and MTU played 4 times...
    That is my understanding as well. Once a "sort" has been made, in this case pulling UAF and MTU out of the four way tie, the tie breakers start over.

NMU and BGSU would then start the process over as well for the 5-6 spots.
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

I would assume we go back to the first tiebreaker and UAF would finish 3 while MTU would finish 4 since UAF and MTU played 4 times...
      Yes, I stand corrected. The "note" at the bottom of the tie breaker rules clarifies that when one team is eliminated the teams still tied become a "new" tie and we go back to the top.

Comment

The Atlantic Hockey weekly column did something interesting this week, looking at what the standings would reflect under the old point system. So if you go back to 2 points for a win, 1 for a tie, and no 3x3/shootout bonus, here's how that would currently shake out:

45 - Minnesota State
        41 - Bemidji
        31 - Northern
        29 - Fairbanks
        28 - Bowling Green
        28 - Michigan Tech
        22 - Lake Superior
        14 - Anchorage
        12 - Ferris
        10 - Huntsville

So not a lot of drastic differences. What did change? Starting from the top:

-Fairbanks edges ahead of BG instead of sitting even
        -BG falls into a tie with Tech
        -Tech could pass NMU, instead of just being able to tie them in the standings
        -Ferris is only one game behind UAA
        -UAH is not already eliminated on points

So in short, no one is really benefitting greatly or being grossly disadvantaged by the 3 point system.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
          The Atlantic Hockey weekly column did something interesting this week, looking at what the standings would reflect under the old point system. So if you go back to 2 points for a win, 1 for a tie, and no 3x3/shootout bonus, here's how that would currently shake out:

45 - Minnesota State
          41 - Bemidji
          31 - Northern
          29 - Fairbanks
          28 - Bowling Green
          28 - Michigan Tech
          22 - Lake Superior
          14 - Anchorage
          12 - Ferris
          10 - Huntsville

So not a lot of drastic differences. What did change? Starting from the top:

-Fairbanks edges ahead of BG instead of sitting even
          -BG falls into a tie with Tech
          -Tech could pass NMU, instead of just being able to tie them in the standings
          -Ferris is only one game behind UAA
          -UAH is not already eliminated on points

So in short, no one is really benefitting greatly or being grossly disadvantaged by the 3 point system.
          I remember Schlossman doing this the first few years of the new format and showed that basically no one lost out on home ice over the 3-pt system and I think the first 2 or 3 years there was only one seeding spot that swapped because of it. MTU has no one to blame but themselves for being 0-2 in supertime.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I remember Schlossman doing this the first few years of the new format and showed that basically no one lost out on home ice over the 3-pt system and I think the first 2 or 3 years there was only one seeding spot that swapped because of it. MTU has no one to blame but themselves for being 0-2 in supertime.
            Or UAH being 1-5 in supertime. Not that it's the main reason we are where we are, but five potential points given away wouldn't help anyone. I think it really only affects things if 1) you're in a lot of supertimes and 2) if you win or lose a lot of them.
            Michael Napier - UAH '97
            uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
            U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
            NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
            CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
            CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

This week was fun with Ryan Stieg from Marquette's Mining Journal joining us.
              Emergency Goaltending (2:54)
              Northern Michigan’s Season (6:58)
              The Last Weekend of the Season (13:24)
              Grant Potulny’s Future (17:54)
              Highlights of the NMU vs MTU Rivalry (21:52)
              “Stump the Schwab” Game (34:42)
              CCHA Commissioner Search (43:28)
              Predictions (54:31)
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

This week was fun with Ryan Stieg from Marquette's Mining Journal joining us.
                Emergency Goaltending (2:54)
                Northern Michigan’s Season (6:58)
                The Last Weekend of the Season (13:24)
                Grant Potulny’s Future (17:54)
                Highlights of the NMU vs MTU Rivalry (21:52)
                “Stump the Schwab” Game (34:42)
                CCHA Commissioner Search (43:28)
                Predictions (54:31)
                I really enjoy the podcast but.... if I shut it down for some reason it's basically impossible to fast forward it or to drag the cursor to the spot I left from. And burps at the beginning... well...
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  I really enjoy the podcast but.... if I shut it down for some reason it's basically impossible to fast forward it or to drag the cursor to the spot I left from. And burps at the beginning... well...
                  I downloaded Google Podcasts on my phone and listen to it on that in my work truck. Google Podcasts is a little easier to navigate than the web based link provided here.

Also, it gives them a +1 for subscriber clicks getting it delivered that way.

Plus, Google Podcasts caries my other occasional podcast follows: Dale Jr Download and 6 Degrees of Mike McKenna,
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    I downloaded Google Podcasts on my phone and listen to it on that in my work truck. Google Podcasts is a little easier to navigate than the web based link provided here.

Also, it gives them a +1 for subscriber clicks getting it delivered that way.

Plus, Google Podcasts caries my other occasional podcast follows: Dale Jr Download and 6 Degrees of Mike McKenna,
                    Sigh. That would, of course, mean I need two podcast apps. Along with the two mapping apps and the two music apps. ( actually three)
                    What I'd really like is to just click on the link as posted and have it work.

I figure by 9 30 pm est tonight we will have most of these matchups figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      Sigh. That would, of course, mean I need two podcast apps. Along with the two mapping apps and the two music apps. ( actually three)
                      What I'd really like is to just click on the link as posted and have it work.

I figure by 9 30 pm est tonight we will have most of these matchups figured out.
                      what podcast app are you using?

EDIT: If you listen to MTU hockey on TuneIn, you can also listen to our podcast there. I prefer to not use the anchor player but anchor is great for distribution and the player makes life easier for those that choose not to use one of the many podcast apps. I have like 12 on my phone so I could verify the podcast shows up, etc. I actually transitioned to using pocket casts because it allows the patreon feed to show up.
                      Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 02-28-2020, 04:50 PM.

Comment

The video guy at Huntsville.... He's at it again!

Comment

beavers win 3-1 !!!

Comment

The Chargers got rooked in that loss tonight. The refs let a Blatant call go against BG and 15 seconds later made a call against Huntsville in OT. And once again UAH loses.
                            Huntsville just took too many penalties down the stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
                              beavers win 3-1 !!!
                              Big win! It's too bad there isn't a tiebreaker for the MacNaughton. If the Beavers pull out three points tomorrow night, that means in the four countable WCHA matchups, the Beavers would have won three. To me, that should be enough to be outright champs. If they split, I understand that, but there should be a head-to-head tiebreaker imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by BSUBeavs View Post
                                Big win! It's too bad there isn't a tiebreaker for the MacNaughton. If the Beavers pull out three points tomorrow night, that means in the four countable WCHA matchups, the Beavers would have won three. To me, that should be enough to be outright champs. If they split, I understand that, but there should be a head-to-head tiebreaker imo.
                                If Bemidji sweeps, they are co-champions and the #1 playoff seed.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X