Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

    Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Team, GP, Points, Possible Points, Possible Finish

    Mankato 24 GP, 62, 74, 1-2 (home ice in first and second round)
    Bemidji 24 GP, 57, 69, 1-2 (home ice in first and second round)

    Remaining Schedules
    Mankato: UAH, at BSU
    BSU: at UAA, Mankato
    I was thinking last night... how interesting/weird/cool would it be for MSU / BSU to end the regular season tied in points since they play each other the final weekend? Two teams awarded the MacNaughton Cup at the same game as co-champs... What a group photo opportunity.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

    Comment


    • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

      Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      I was thinking last night... how interesting/weird/cool would it be for MSU / BSU to end the regular season tied in points since they play each other the final weekend? Two teams awarded the MacNaughton Cup at the same game as co-champs... What a group photo opportunity.
      I would be okay with that as it would give the Beavers the tiebreaker over Mankato and home ice throughout the playoffs!

      That would be an interesting site. Mankato, you get to skate with the cup on that half of the ice, Bemidji on that half. Hand the cup off to each other at the red line!

      And actually, I don't think the group photo would be all that bad as I am not aware of any bad blood between the two teams.
      Millsy

      NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!


      "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

      BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

      Comment


      • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

        Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
        I would be okay with that as it would give the Beavers the tiebreaker over Mankato and home ice throughout the playoffs!

        That would be an interesting site. Mankato, you get to skate with the cup on that half of the ice, Bemidji on that half. Hand the cup off to each other at the red line!

        And actually, I don't think the group photo would be all that bad as I am not aware of any bad blood between the two teams.
        With a 5 point gap, it can't happen. Something will have to change this weekend to make the gap an even number. Since the 2 teams are playing each other, the only possible results are a 6 point swing (6-0), a 4 point swing (5-1), a 2 point swing (4-2), or a tie (3-3).

        Comment


        • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

          Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
          With a 5 point gap, it can't happen. Something will have to change this weekend to make the gap an even number. Since the 2 teams are playing each other, the only possible results are a 6 point swing (6-0), a 4 point swing (5-1), a 2 point swing (4-2), or a tie (3-3).
          But it could happen depending on the result this weekend. Most likely it won't, but it could.
          Millsy

          NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!


          "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

          BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

          Comment


          • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

            2019-2020 WCHA Non-Conference Schedule
            -3 AHA Games 2-1-0
            -15 Big10 Games 6-9-0
            -5 ECAC Games 1-2-2
            -10 Hockey East Games 3-6-1
            -31 NCHC Games 7-19-5
            -8 Independent Games 4-4-0
            -1 Interleague games (not included in WCHA non-conference record)
            -5 Exhibitions (not included in WCHA or team record)
            TOTAL: 23-41-8 0.375 (72 possible games)

            ALABAMA-HUNTSVILLE (0-6-0)
            -at Mass-Lowell L 1-5, L 1-3
            -at Nebraska-Omaha L 1-6, L 0-5
            -at North Dakota L 2-5, L 2-5

            ALASKA (2-4-0)
            -Denver L 3-4, L 0-3
            -at Penn State L 0-7, W 4-0
            -Arizona State W 4-3, L 0-4

            ALASKA-ANCHORAGE (0-5-1)
            -at Maine L 1-7, L 1-2 (OT)
            -Nebraska-Omaha L 3-4, T 3-3
            -at Arizona State (2) L 0-5, L 2-5

            BEMIDJI STATE (0-4-2)
            -St. Cloud State T 4-4, T 2-2
            -at North Dakota L 1-2 OT, L 1-4
            -vs. Minnesota L 2-5 (Mariucci Classic, Minneapolis, MN)
            -vs. Minnesota State L 0-2 (Mariucci Classic, Minneapolis, MN)

            BOWLING GREEN (5-3-0)
            -at Miami W 7-4
            -vs. RIT (Icebreaker Tournament, Toledo, OH) L 2-3 (OT)
            -vs Western Michigan (Icebreaker Tournament, Toledo, OH) L 2-5
            -Western Michigan W 2-1
            -at Western Michigan W 2-1 (OT)
            -at Notre Dame W 5-2
            -Notre Dame W 5-2
            -Miami L 2-4

            FERRIS STATE (2-5-0)
            -Waterloo (EXH) T 2-2
            -USNTDP (EXH) W 5-0
            -Colgate W 3-1
            -at Miami L 3-4, W 3-1
            -at Western Michigan L 2-4
            -Western Michigan L 2-8
            -vs. Michigan L 1-4 (Great Lakes Invitational, Detroit, MI)
            -vs. Michigan State L 2-5 (Great Lakes Invitational, Detroit, MI)

            LAKE SUPERIOR STATE (2-8-0)
            -Merrimack W 6-2, W 4-3
            -Denver L 3-1, L 4-3
            -at Michigan L 0-4, L 3-4
            -at Notre Dame L 2-5, L 4-6
            -vs. Providence L 1-2 OT (Catamount Cup at Vermont)
            -vs. Vermont L 0-2 (Catamount Cup at Vermont)
            -at USNTDP (EXH) T 4-4

            MICHIGAN TECH (5-3-1)
            -at Robert Morris W 2-1 (OT), W 7-0
            -at North Dakota (Hall of Fame Game) L 1-3
            -Clarkson T 2-2, L 2-4
            -vs. Michigan State W 4-2 (Great Lakes Invitational, Detroit, MI)
            -vs. Michigan W 4-2 (Great Lakes Invitational, Detroit, MI)
            -at Arizona State L 3-4, W 3-2

            MINNESOTA STATE (6-1-1)
            -Mount Royal (EXH) W 5-2
            -Arizona State W 4-1, W 5-0
            -North Dakota T 4-4, W 2-1
            -at Minnesota-Duluth (2) W 4-1, W 3-1
            -vs. St. Cloud State L 2-7 (Mariucci Classic, Minneapolis, MN)
            -vs. Bemidji State W 2-0 (Mariucci Classic, Minneapolis, MN)

            NORTHERN MICHIGAN (2-2-2)
            -at USNTDP (EXH) W 4-3
            -Michigan State L 3-5, W 2-0
            -at Boston University T 4-4, W 4-3
            -St. Cloud State T 3-3, L 4-5 (OT)
            -at Cornell (2) T 2-2, L 1-3
            Millsy

            NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
            FROZEN FOUR 2009!


            "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

            BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

            Comment


            • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

              Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              I was thinking last night... how interesting/weird/cool would it be for MSU / BSU to end the regular season tied in points since they play each other the final weekend? Two teams awarded the MacNaughton Cup at the same game as co-champs... What a group photo opportunity.
              Well it's a long shot, but it is now possible and BSU does have home ice...
              With two wins, BSU would earn a share of the cup and all but cement themselves a spot in the NCAA tourney.
              Big weekend for the Beavers upcoming...
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

              Comment


              • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                Well it's a long shot, but it is now possible and BSU does have home ice...
                With two wins, BSU would earn a share of the cup and all but cement themselves a spot in the NCAA tourney.
                Big weekend for the Beavers upcoming...
                I would love to see that. By no stretch did Mankato implode over the final weeks, but they looked like they were going to clinch the MacNaughton early and run away with it. Kudos to Bemidji on a strong second half and good luck to them with an at-large bid. It would be something to see them both get an at-large berth and a third team (please let it be Tech) win the tournament for the WCHA AQ slot. Maybe we could even get a first round NCAA winner?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                  I would love to see that. By no stretch did Mankato implode over the final weeks, but they looked like they were going to clinch the MacNaughton early and run away with it. Kudos to Bemidji on a strong second half and good luck to them with an at-large bid. It would be something to see them both get an at-large berth and a third team (please let it be Tech) win the tournament for the WCHA AQ slot. Maybe we could even get a first round NCAA winner?
                  We’re 12-1-1 over the last 14! We’re playing some really good hockey. We just can’t shake a very underrated Bemidji team.

                  Comment


                  • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                    So, here is where we are at going into the last week of the season, but I am sure everyone is pretty much aware of it:

                    Team, current points, possible points

                    Mankato 68, 74, 1-2 (home ice in first and second round, share of the MacNaughton)
                    Bemidji 62, 68, 1-2 (home ice in first and second round)
                    Northern 47, 53, 3-6 (playoff berth)
                    Alaska 43, 48, 3-6 (playoff berth)
                    BGSU 43, 49, 3-6 (playoff berth)
                    Tech 41, 47, 3-6 (playoff berth)
                    Lake 35, 41, 7th (playoff berth)
                    UAA 21, 27, 8-9
                    Ferris 17, 23, 8-9
                    UAH 13, 19, 10

                    Remaining Schedules

                    Mankato: BSU
                    BSU: Mankato
                    Northern: home and home with Tech
                    Alaska: UAA
                    Tech: home and home with Northern
                    Bowling Green: at UAH
                    Lake: at Ferris
                    UAA: at Alaska
                    Ferris: Lake
                    UAH: Bowling Green

                    I have only looked at head to head tiebreakers, which is only available if the teams played four times. I am sure others have put more time into looking at them that I have.

                    -BSU and Mankato are tied at 1-1, with the final two games this weekend. BSU needs to sweep to take over the one seed and share the MacNaughton
                    -Bowling Green owns the tiebreaker on Tech with a 2-1-1 record
                    -Alaska owns the tiebreaker over Tech with a 3-1 record
                    -Tech currently has a 2-0 lead over Northern with the final two games this weekend
                    -Northern has the tiebreaker on Alaska with a 2-1-1 record
                    -Bowling Green and Alaska would come down to other tiebreakers
                    -Anchorage and Ferris would come down to other tiebreakers
                    Millsy

                    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


                    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

                    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

                    Comment


                    • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                      I'm wondering - If Bemidji were able to sweep Mankato to tie for the McNaughton, both teams win their respective first two sets of playoffs - Who gets home ice for the finals if the WCHA?

                      Comment


                      • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                        Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                        I'm wondering - If Bemidji were able to sweep Mankato to tie for the McNaughton, both teams win their respective first two sets of playoffs - Who gets home ice for the finals if the WCHA?
                        Bemidji because they'd win head to head. If Bemidji sweeps, the are the 1 seed.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

                        Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

                        Comment


                        • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                          What we know so far for playoffs:

                          #1 Mankato or Bemidji will host #8 Alaska-Anchorage or Ferris State
                          #2 Mankato or Bemidji will host #7 Lake Superior State
                          #3-#6 is still a mess
                          Millsy

                          NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                          FROZEN FOUR 2009!


                          "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

                          BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

                          Comment


                          • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                            Here is my question...
                            MTU sweep NMU, BGSU takes 4 points from UAH, UA_ takes 4 points from UAA.
                            MTU, NMU, BGSU, UA_ all finish with 47 points is a 4 way tie for 3rd. Who gets home games?
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

                            Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

                            Comment


                            • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                              Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              Here is my question...
                              MTU sweep NMU, BGSU takes 4 points from UAH, UA_ takes 4 points from UAA.
                              MTU, NMU, BGSU, UA_ all finish with 47 points is a 4 way tie for 3rd. Who gets home games?
                              *Since not everyone has played each other 4 times, go the #b) tiebreaker...UAF and MTU both have a winning % of .571 which beats out NMU and BGSU winning % of .554.

                              Since UAF and MTU are still tied, go to the #c) tiebreaker which is greater number of league wins in regulation/OT. MTU would win the tiebreaker 15 to 13.

                              *assuming both BGSU's 4 points and UAF's 4 points are a win and a tie, not two ties each. If both BGSU and UAF got 4 points with two ties, then MTU would win the first tiebreaker.

                              ...I think.
                              "Who got the Cup?"
                              UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

                              Comment


                              • Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

                                Originally posted by mmf View Post
                                *Since not everyone has played each other 4 times, go the #b) tiebreaker...UAF and MTU both have a winning % of .571 which beats out NMU and BGSU winning % of .554.

                                Since UAF and MTU are still tied, go to the #c) tiebreaker which is greater number of league wins in regulation/OT. MTU would win the tiebreaker 15 to 13.

                                *assuming both BGSU's 4 points and UAF's 4 points are a win and a tie, not two ties each. If both BGSU and UAF got 4 points with two ties, then MTU would win the first tiebreaker.

                                ...I think.
                                I would assume we go back to the first tiebreaker and UAF would finish 3 while MTU would finish 4 since UAF and MTU played 4 times...
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

                                Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X