X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    That school is in the top two or three as far as fans go and has won more than most of the other schools in the league. I think because of the decline in the last 15 years we lose sight of the bigger picture.
    My point was that Maine doesn't really have any business dictating who should and shouldn't be in the league by some sort of fiat.

Also, Maine's problems are Maine's problems and blaming it on league membership is bonkers.

Also, anyone who thinks BU/NU/Lowell etc. would choose to partner with Maine, UNH, and UVM over BC and PC is bonkers.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
      My point was that Maine doesn't really have any business dictating who should and shouldn't be in the league by some sort of fiat.

Also, Maine's problems are Maine's problems and blaming it on league membership is bonkers.

Also, anyone who thinks BU/NU/Lowell etc. would choose to partner with Maine, UNH, and UVM over BC and PC is bonkers.
      Maybe the League would push to see Maine/Vermont and Merrimack go by the way side and let them toss and turn in the AHA...that would leave them with 8 and then they could poach Quinnipiac and say either Holy Cross/Bentley and be the Common Wealth Hockey Association(CWHA).....just a dream and a bad one...Hockey East is ok...just on a down side...happens and go with it....or at least TRY….on a different note, have a great turkey day everyone and GO Maine Hockey this weekend...a sweep would be nice..!
      Last edited by Ma#1ne Hky; 11-27-2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
        Maybe the League would push to see Maine/Vermont and Merrimack go by the way side and let them toss and turn in the AHA...that would leave them with 8 and then they could poach Quinnipiac and say either Holy Cross/Bentley and be the Common Wealth Hockey Association(CWWA).....just a dream and a bad one...Hockey East is ok...just on a down side...happens and go with it....or at least TRY….on a different note, have a great turkey day everyone and GO Maine Hockey this weekend...a sweep would be nice..!
        Happy turkey day too you too!

Comment

Interesting drift in this thread. Here are average PWR (CHN) by conference as of today.

Independent: 14.0 (n=1)
          BiG: 18.0 (n=7)
          NACHO: 21.75 (n=8)
          WCHA: 30.2 (n=10)
          HEA: 31.82 (n=11)
          ECAC: 37.09 (n=12)
          AHC: 41.45 (n=11)

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
            I'd like to see see America East Hockey form with:

Maine
            UNH
            Vermont
            UMass-Lowell
            NU
            BU
            UMass
            UConn

8 teams is plenty it would allow for home & home series vs. everyone plus 6 OOC games.
            Until the ACC sponsors hockey and forces BC to play in its league or the Patriot League does the same with BU neither will be in a league without the other. Furthermore, BU will likely never agree to a 28-game league schedule, as that would only leave them with 2 non-Beanpot OOC games a season.

It is also highly unlikely any of the 5 charter members of Hockey East would leave the league unless forced to (and I don't see the ACC, CAA or Big East ever sponsoring hockey. Nor do I see the Patriot League or America East sponsoring hockey anytime soon). They also would likely never vote out the first two teams to accept invitations to join, Maine and UMass Lowell. That leaves 4 schools that the league could vote out. I agree that a nine team league that plays 3 games vs each league opponent for a 24 game league schedule is near ideal. So what 2 schools to kick out? Merrimack has never been good overall or in league play. And with their move to full DI they have to spend more on their other sports, including football and basketball (where the money is), so hockey is likely to become less important at the school. UConn has not been good since joining Hockey East, and is definitely a minor sport after women's and men's basketball, football and field hockey. Vermont was good when they joined, but they are on a down swing. A new coach and arena could change that, but neither may happen anytime soon. UMass is currently on the upswing and it seems that they will remain good, at least as long as Coach Carvel is their head coach (see what happened at SLU when he left). So, the two most likely to be booted would be Merrimack and UConn.

Sean
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I recall discussion here about Maine dropping ticket prices. How much did they drop the prices and was it this season?

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                I recall discussion here about Maine dropping ticket prices. How much did they drop the prices and was it this season?

Sean
                The crappy 20 bench seats went to 16. The premium 50 seats went to 35. The 30 and 20 seats in the lower section stayed the same I believe. They changed some season tick prices with this.

See if this works

https://goblackbears.com/news/2019/4/17/umaine-athletics-announces-new-ticket-pricing-structure-for-mens-ice-hockey
                Last edited by NorthMike; 11-27-2019, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Umm.....it wasn't Maine dictating anything. It was my far out scenario....an opinion....by a fan......chill.

Comment

No kidding. Hockey East (right now) absolutely needs PC and BC. Otherwise, we're looking at the WCHA right here in our back yard.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Black Bear fans.

Comment

Predictions..?

I'm going with a Maine sweep. SLU is truly bad this year. Anything less will result in a swift kick to Maine's PWR.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          Predictions..?

I'm going with a Maine sweep. SLU is truly bad this year. Anything less will result in a swift kick to Maine's PWR.
                          If Maine dosen't sweep that's a huge problem. SLU lost at home to Vermont. I also expect Theissen to get another chance at starting.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                            If Maine dosen't sweep that's a huge problem. SLU lost at home to Vermont. I also expect Theissen to get another chance at starting.
                            God, I hope not...

Comment

God, I hope not...
                              If Swayman left at the end of the season and the only returning goalie got one start on the road and got pulled... we’d all rag on coaching staff for poor planning. So, you need to get Thiessen some game time. Well let’s pick opponents that are not as strong so that he can adjust to the speed of the game and things. A start this weekend makes a lot more sense than a start on the road against a ranked opponent.

Games that are good for Thiessen beyond a start this weekend would be Yale, AIC, and UNDPT.
                              Last edited by BlackI; 11-29-2019, 11:14 AM.

Comment

God, I hope not...
                                I will admit he's done nothing but worry me so far, but I still have some faith in him. He wasn't an NHL pick for no reason, and as of now he's still the Goalie of the Future. It would be good to get him some meaningful game reps.

Comment

Working...
                                X