Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
    And men's basketball, one of the teams on our campus much worse off than hockey that dosen't even play in Orono. Maine is still a hockey school even in these tough times, the fact that it's still a question if they are as popular as football proves as much.
    The challenge for football is they don’t play many games and it’s rare they have back to back good seasons. It seems to me they have a good season every five years, very good season every 10, and maybe a great season every 20. To be fair they have very few bad seasons as well.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

    Comment


    • Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
      You got him because of the ring he won at Yale, we are all finding out down here that Dan Muse was the best Assistant to be promoted out of that championship year. He is still sorely missed.
      We got him cause he was a name familiar to those doing the search, and he was cheap. And he sold them a bill of goods. What, four years to be back in the final four? Or was it the NCAA tourney?

      In any event, not accomplished. Didn't he also say if he couldn't get it done, he'd leave?
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

      Comment


      • Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

        Originally posted by AMC View Post
        Ah, yes, football, that program that is so set up for a future of success that after the best season in program history the head coach fled to take the best job he could find, figuring that the peak the program was on would never be achievable again. And that new job? At best 5th or 6th on the org chart at Minnesota.

        If you have to whore yourself out for two FBS games per year, which hamstrings your ability to make the playoffs AND still fund the program at or near the bottom of your conference, you aren't a growth industry.
        Cheap shot, AMC.

        Football has clearly been the flagship for a few years now, and accepting a payday from FBS schools seems to be a financial necessity. We've been over this before.

        Hockey is very clearly going nowhere under Red. No idea what your argument would be at this juncture, vis-a-vis any other Maine program.

        Yeah, beating Richmond is paramount, as is coming close to to running the CAA schedule. But, hockey appears to have zero chance at the PS, while football has a prayer. No secret there.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-08-2019, 10:41 PM.

        Comment


        • Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

          Originally posted by AMC View Post
          From USCHO's Tuesday Morning Quarterback column:



          Who, who are these people?
          No kidding. There was absolutely no reason to go there.

          Maine hockey just keeps getting worse, and that's a an inescapable fact.

          Comment


          • Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

            Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Cheap shot, AMC.

            Football has clearly been the flagship for a few years now, and accepting a payday from FBS schools seems to be a financial necessity. We've been over this before.

            Hockey is very clearly going nowhere under Red. No idea what your argument would be at this juncture, vis-a-vis any other Maine program.

            Yeah, beating Richmond is paramount, as is coming close to to running the CAA schedule. But, hockey appears to have zero chance at the PS, while football has a prayer. No secret there.
            Don't kid yourself. Football has always been the flagship. Even when we were winning the national championship it was still football.


            I can't escape the stupid. I was wearing my Maine hockey jersey at work tonight and a guy walks up and tells me it was a long weekend for the Bears. "Yeah, it's going to be a long season."
            'Think there's any chance they hire the coach who went to Denver?'
            "Jim Montgomery?"
            'Yeah, him!'

            *sigh*

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              Don't kid yourself. Football has always been the flagship. Even when we were winning the national championship it was still football.


              I can't escape the stupid. I was wearing my Maine hockey jersey at work tonight and a guy walks up and tells me it was a long weekend for the Bears. "Yeah, it's going to be a long season."
              'Think there's any chance they hire the coach who went to Denver?'
              "Jim Montgomery?"
              'Yeah, him!'

              *sigh*
              I mean..... IF Dallas craters like St Louis did before Christmas last year.....and then.....

              Nah.

              Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

              11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

              Comment


              • Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

                Originally posted by rufus View Post
                We got him cause he was a name familiar to those doing the search, and he was cheap. And he sold them a bill of goods. What, four years to be back in the final four? Or was it the NCAA tourney?

                In any event, not accomplished. Didn't he also say if he couldn't get it done, he'd leave?
                He did indeed say that...but I guess it's a lot like his Program...not worth much.

                Comment


                • Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

                  Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  Don't kid yourself. Football has always been the flagship. Even when we were winning the national championship it was still football.


                  I can't escape the stupid. I was wearing my Maine hockey jersey at work tonight and a guy walks up and tells me it was a long weekend for the Bears. "Yeah, it's going to be a long season."
                  'Think there's any chance they hire the coach who went to Denver?'
                  "Jim Montgomery?"
                  'Yeah, him!'

                  *sigh*
                  I have heard that from others also...just some people don't keep up or follow it....

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    Don't kid yourself. Football has always been the flagship. Even when we were winning the national championship it was still football.


                    I can't escape the stupid. I was wearing my Maine hockey jersey at work tonight and a guy walks up and tells me it was a long weekend for the Bears. "Yeah, it's going to be a long season."
                    'Think there's any chance they hire the coach who went to Denver?'
                    "Jim Montgomery?"
                    'Yeah, him!'

                    *sigh*
                    I’d bet quite a few fans still think Monty is at Denver. Most people have busy lives and it’s easy to miss and/or forget a story like him going to Dallas.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

                    Comment


                    • Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

                      Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                      Don't kid yourself. Football has always been the flagship. Even when we were winning the national championship it was still football.
                      When I was at Maine -during the late Pleistocene, granted- football was abysmal and largely ignored by the students.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

                        Well UAA/Maine weekend is almost here....I am hoping for two wins but would take a split. WHO KNOW's RIGHT..? But here is what Maine CAN'T DO (imo) ...They have to muster some type of offence, like scoring more then 2 goals per game...get shots on goal...if under 20 shots per game they are in trouble...keep UAA under 30 shots per game...again if 30 plus for UAA then Maine is in trouble...and finally keep the penalty's down...4 or less per game...if they go over 5 per game then you could very well see a ugly weekend for Maine Hockey. This is a type of weekend that can be a positive for Maine, but if they play like the PC/UNB games then we can only be in for a long-long season. Myself I going with the split side: Friday; Maine 4 UAA 1 -- Saturday; UAA 3 Maine 1

                        Comment


                        • Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

                          Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                          Well UAA/Maine weekend is almost here....I am hoping for two wins but would take a split. WHO KNOW's RIGHT..? But here is what Maine CAN'T DO (imo) ...They have to muster some type of offence, like scoring more then 2 goals per game...get shots on goal...if under 20 shots per game they are in trouble...keep UAA under 30 shots per game...again if 30 plus for UAA then Maine is in trouble...and finally keep the penalty's down...4 or less per game...if they go over 5 per game then you could very well see a ugly weekend for Maine Hockey. This is a type of weekend that can be a positive for Maine, but if they play like the PC/UNB games then we can only be in for a long-long season. Myself I going with the split side: Friday; Maine 4 UAA 1 -- Saturday; UAA 3 Maine 1
                          Whatever happens, let's all promise not to get too excited if there's a Maine sweep. Let's learn from opening with St. Lawrence last year. UAA is flying six time zones to play its first games of the year, and went 3-28-3 last season, AND is dealing with rumors that the team won't exist past this season. If Maine were any good these would be two 5-0 wins at the very least.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

                            Originally posted by AMC View Post
                            Whatever happens, let's all promise not to get too excited if there's a Maine sweep. Let's learn from opening with St. Lawrence last year. UAA is flying six time zones to play its first games of the year, and went 3-28-3 last season, AND is dealing with rumors that the team won't exist past this season. If Maine were any good these would be two 5-0 wins at the very least.
                            Oh I hear you loud and clear...UAA has much going against them in that the long trip over, a returning team that did not play very good all season long and the dreaded lost of their program after this season...they are worst off then Maine...but then they could come in with nothing to lose and stun Maine....I see a split, but should Maine lose both......well oh my the blank will fly....but you are right...two wins by Maine should not be a ticker-tape parade from I-95 to the Alfond either

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                              two wins by Maine should not be a ticker-tape parade from I-95 to the Alfond either
                              Two wins by UAA might be cause for a different type of parade from Alfond to the Gym.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

                                Is Maine still showing games for free on the website or has that changed this year?
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X