Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

We allowed ourselves to be gooned all game long. We lost two key players to injury and it doesn't do much for you when Omaha has two players tossed but your two are out with injury and for how long?
    We should have reached a point where instead of trying to get the win as payback we should have sent a message old school style.
    I never missed Josh Healey more!

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye22
    replied

Rough night for hockey in CBus. Jackets lost in OT, we lost to an unranked team, and the Columbus Mavericks (our new junior team) got shelled 10-0 by the Metro Jets. As you guys have said, the lack of even strength scoring is a major concern. That said, its still a young team and they might just take a little extra time to gel. I think losing Jobst definitely hurt on the scoring front, but with the new additions I think the talent is there. Hopefully that talent will carry us enough to get by Mercyhurst and everyone will be more comfortable and on the same page by the time we get to TTUN.

Leave a comment:

• klbaum1077
    replied

Not much went right tonight for sure. When you get not one but two 5 minute Power Plays and in those major's you get an added 5 on 3 and still dont score your not going to win many games. Once again the entry inot the zone is killing them and when they do get into the zone it seems they are looking for the perfect shot all the time. Live an learn on the Mercyhurst.

Leave a comment:

• klbaum1077
    replied
    Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    My question is does anybody else feel any concern that in our first 4 games that like 90% of our goals only come from the PP?
    Even strength 5 on 5 scoring seems to be eluding us for the most part so far.
    Yes that is concerning.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied

My question is does anybody else feel any concern that in our first 4 games that like 90% of our goals only come from the PP?
    Even strength 5 on 5 scoring seems to be eluding us for the most part so far.

Leave a comment:

• klbaum1077
    replied

Very sloppy game overall but a win is a win they all count. Omaha has some nice size in the back end just like Western did just not as talented. Have to cut out the dumb penalties before it cost them a game. The second too many men penalty was terrible they had 6 guys inside the blue line when the whistle blew. Tanner was the star he needs to be tonight for this team to be successful. 3 PPG's but again they werent very good at getting the entry and keeping the zone but that will improve. On to Tomorrow and a chance at the first sweep of the season.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye22
    replied

Very physical game tonight, with a few shots from UNO that looked dirty to me (the big scrum in front of the net that resulted in two UNO and one OSU penalties, for example), but its always hard to see everything from the stands without the benefit of replay. We were definitely pretty sloppy with penalties all night, but I'll take the win. I don't know if it was just a miscommunication or intentional, but if it was the latter then is was incredibly classless for the UNO players to skate off the ice without shaking hands at the end of the game. If it was the former I feel bad for the handful of Mavericks who stayed on the ice and shook hands, but its a bad look for them either way. I might change my mind and go to the game tomorrow. It has the makings for a pretty chippy one.
    Last edited by Buckeye22; 10-18-2019, 09:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye22
    replied

I'll be there Friday. I agree the scheduling sucks but I'd rather have the game when it is, overlapping with the football game for maybe 45 minutes, than have them put it as some weird time of day or move it to Sunday. Moving the hockey game from its normal time always kills attendance as much as or more than competing with football. I think Saturday I'm gonna head up to Chiller North and check out the new Junior team we have in town for a change. Apparently they've drawn well in their first couple of games.
    Last edited by Buckeye22; 10-14-2019, 08:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    Friday night is going to suck for sure. I debated if i was coming down for the with the football game at 830 but ill come down and find a spot to watch the football game after
    Varsity Club would be the closest and you can't fault the atmosphere!

Leave a comment:

• klbaum1077
    replied

It's going to be a ghost town there Friday against Omaha with big brother football playing that night (Thanks a lot B1G!) but I floated out to the power behind the throne that perhaps Saturday they could have the Icebreaker trophy on display in the Schott?
    Friday night is going to suck for sure. I debated if i was coming down for the with the football game at 830 but ill come down and find a spot to watch the football game after

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied

It's going to be a ghost town there Friday against Omaha with big brother football playing that night (Thanks a lot B1G!) but I floated out to the power behind the throne that perhaps Saturday they could have the Icebreaker trophy on display in the Schott?

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    Im not so upset at only 1 goal on that major but the zone time and getting set up wasnt what i want to see but again its game 2 and things will get worked out.
    I'll buy into that's it's early yet, what else can you do?
    I don't think the team has it's full chemistry going yet, I forget which game but one of our guys did a no look pass behind him in the offensive zone but the teammate he expected to be there was nowhere to be found. The other detail that you didn't get to see but in the Western game the vast majority we brought the puck up along the boards only to get crunched off it time & again and that moving it up in open ice and passing wasn't in their minds.

Leave a comment:

• klbaum1077
    replied

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Very cool. The Tigers are indeed well supported by both their band and their student section. I'm guessing you attended the Ford Field FF. IMHO, the RIT Corner Crew was one of the best things at that tournament.
    I was at that frozen four and again in South Bend for the regional they were in and was very impressed with the crowd they brought. High energy at all times even when losing.

Leave a comment:

• klbaum1077
    replied

Being on a 5 minute major and you only get one goal with 2 seconds left in the penalty certainly reinforces Klbaum's needs work assessment.
    Im not so upset at only 1 goal on that major but the zone time and getting set up wasnt what i want to see but again its game 2 and things will get worked out.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied

It's early yet in the season but I kind of wonder if this team has an identity yet that they're focused on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X