Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

I think the proper payback is taking the PP and scoring. At the very least getting more than 2 shots on net on a 5v3 for 59 seconds. This team is having issues both directions. While the official number of shots is ok, it feels like the shots just aren't coming as needed. I get the "waiting for the perfect shot" you can't have any more 2min PP with zero shots. Fire, scramble up front, and force it in.

Defense is very good or very bad, little inbetween. We have several guys with zero hustle. Getting beat to the puck coming back into our zone time and time again. No excuse that for us to be beat to the puck when you have a 15ft headstart.

My last complaint is line changes. We are extremely lucky we've only had a couple TMM calls. I watched several times we had players who coasted from the far blue back to the bench. If he would have skated just a little the replacement could have been there to make a play. Its just being lazy.

On a good note, I've really enjoyed Nappier stepping up. He was standing on his head all weekend and was the only true difference maker on the team. I was worried about him stepping up this season since I think he still isn't in what most might consider college hockey physical shape. Just a couple tweaks to his out of net handling and he could help rally the team.

Comment

I think the proper payback is taking the PP and scoring. At the very least getting more than 2 shots on net on a 5v3 for 59 seconds. This team is having issues both directions. While the official number of shots is ok, it feels like the shots just aren't coming as needed. I get the "waiting for the perfect shot" you can't have any more 2min PP with zero shots. Fire, scramble up front, and force it in.
      Agreed. We got plenty of shots, but not many real good scoring chances. We seemed pretty disorganized on our PP. That needs to be fixed.

Defense is very good or very bad, little inbetween. We have several guys with zero hustle. Getting beat to the puck coming back into our zone time and time again. No excuse that for us to be beat to the puck when you have a 15ft headstart.

My last complaint is line changes. We are extremely lucky we've only had a couple TMM calls. I watched several times we had players who coasted from the far blue back to the bench. If he would have skated just a little the replacement could have been there to make a play. Its just being lazy.
      I was thinking this exact same thing on Friday. The concern for me wasn't that we were being beaten physically, but rather that we were just flat out being out-skated for a lot of the game; getting beaten to pucks, lazy changes, etc. That's the most concerning thing for me because, unlike sloppy powerplays, its not something that just gets better with more playing time and experience. Its a team mentality that needs to be changed, and thats a hard thing to do.

On a good note, I've really enjoyed Nappier stepping up. He was standing on his head all weekend and was the only true difference maker on the team. I was worried about him stepping up this season since I think he still isn't in what most might consider college hockey physical shape. Just a couple tweaks to his out of net handling and he could help rally the team.
      Agreed again. He's been the only consistently positive part about the team so far I think.
      Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
      University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
        Agreed. We got plenty of shots, but not many real good scoring chances. We seemed pretty disorganized on our PP. That needs to be fixed.

I was thinking this exact same thing on Friday. The concern for me wasn't that we were being beaten physically, but rather that we were just flat out being out-skated for a lot of the game; getting beaten to pucks, lazy changes, etc. That's the most concerning thing for me because, unlike sloppy powerplays, its not something that just gets better with more playing time and experience. Its a team mentality that needs to be changed, and thats a hard thing to do.

Agreed again. He's been the only consistently positive part about the team so far I think.
        Winning puck battles was a big problem last weekend glad i wasnt the only one who noticed that. The face off circle is becoming a worry for me as well especially in the defensive zone.

Comment

I heard Miller is back running the PP kill but Rohls is running the PP.
          Both our PP & PP kill had never been so good when Killer came here and ran both his first season.
          I have no idea why he still isn't running both.
          I'll also say it seems we're all seeing the same deficiencies and that means they're probably pretty obvious.
          Anyone hear anything on Westlund or Miller's injuries?
          Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-25-2019, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Looks like Westlund had 2 goals and an assist tonight, so I would say he's ok
            Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
            University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Looks like Westlund had 2 goals and an assist tonight, so I would say he's ok
              Yes, I saw that but didn't see anything about Miller playing so still some concern there.

Comment

Nice to see the offense break out last night especially the PP.

Comment

Jury is still out for me on the team. It was nice to get the sweep but I wasn't able to watch any of it to have a personal assessment and it was Mercyhurst.
                  Miller was still out and B1G play starts next weekend hosting you know who!
                  With conference games starting this is where practice ends and everybody has to step up and contribute and with our opponent being who they are we need to bring an intensity that is second to none.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                    Nice to see the offense break out last night especially the PP.
                    I was a bit worried in the first of each game, but they started to settle in as the game went on. If they can keep the 1st period competitive and then grind the 2nd and 3rd I think the team will do ok. They just can't slide into the last couple years of giving up a few early goals then spend 2 periods chasing only to really five a **** in the last 3 minutes.

Not to knock Omaha, but I feel like we really haven't played anyone of any consequence so far. Omaha was ok, but I think watching some of the of the B1G games and upcoming non conf games, the little slip ups that you get by with against MH end up being a goal against B1G teams. Outside of Michigan State, the teams work is cut out for them. IMO our skill runs deeper and the 3rd and 4th line will need to produce, while the 1st will be the one playing stopgap. With no Jobst or Dakota putting as much pressure on the offensive zone those top lines need to just keep some of the top tier players in check.

Early games matter. Non conference games matter. Winning in regulation matters even against those smaller practice game teams. At the end of the regular season, that little loss or tie means a difference between being or playing the 1 seed.

Comment

Got the win over Michigan but it was pricey. We lost Westlund, Fadyeyev, & Carson Meyer to injury.
                      It was good effort with such a shortened bench and I hope we can ride the momentum onto tomorrow's game!

Comment

Given the amount of injuries we sustained we really dodged a bullet when one of Michigan's players completely plowed through Nappier from behind laying him out on the ice!
                        It was amazing Tommy was OK but it was disappointing that giving it's your goaltender and how bad it looked on replay that it wasn't a 5 min penalty.
                        Have to protect the goalies and ours was completely vulnerable when it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                          Got the win over Michigan but it was pricey. We lost Westlund, Fadyeyev, & Carson Meyer to injury.
                          It was good effort with such a shortened bench and I hope we can ride the momentum onto tomorrow's game!
                          Listened to the 3rd period soundedlije they dominated zone time especially after tge tying goal. Lets hope those 3 are not seriously injured. Westlund is getting hurt every other game now it seems

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                            Listened to the 3rd period sounded like they dominated zone time especially after the tying goal. Lets hope those 3 are not seriously injured. Westlund is getting hurt every other game now it seems
                            Yes, we were able to ride it out in the 3rd with very good puck control. We dodged some bullets at the end with the extra attacker on and Hein made a stellar play to clear the puck as time expired but man, was he gassed!
                            RUMOR, not fact has it if Westlund gets one more bad concussion his playing days may be over. I would hope not but it seems to me he's targeted a lot for those high hits.
                            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 11-02-2019, 01:42 PM.

Comment

What can you say when you sweep your favorite rival?
                              In the last part of the game I thought Ohio State looked content to sit on it and try to ride out the 1-0 lead and not take any offensive chances but that backfired when Michigan got one by Tommy with the extra attacker on.
                              THEN we turned it back on and we got a 2 on 1 breakaway by Gabrielle & Singleton. Gabrielle took the initial shot from the glove side of Mann and the rebound came right to Singleton's stick with the right side of the net gaping wide open for the game winner!
                              I was apprehensive going into this weekend and even when Michigan has struggled at times you must never underestimate them as they can be a very dangerous team.
                              But right now I'm feeling pretty good. We had to suit up more than a few freshmen as our injured from last night didn't play but we made it work. GO BUCKS!!
                              Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 11-02-2019, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                                What can you say when you sweep your favorite rival?
                                In the last part of the game I thought Ohio State looked content to sit on it and try to ride out the 1-0 lead and not take any offensive chances but that backfired when Michigan got one by Tommy with the extra attacker on.
                                THEN we turned it back on and we got a 2 on 1 breakaway by Gabrielle & Singleton. Gabrielle took the initial shot from the glove side of Mann and the rebound came right to Singleton's stick with the right side of the net gaping wide open for the game winner!
                                I was apprehensive going into this weekend and even when Michigan has struggled at times you must never underestimate them as they can be a very dangerous team.
                                But right now I'm feeling pretty good. We had to suit up more than a few freshmen as our injured from last night didn't play but we made it work. GO BUCKS!!
                                Michigan didnt have the extra attacker on when they scored. This was a gritty win without 4 main guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X