Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

Well that was an exciting a finish as one could wish for in a hockey game!
    That being said I'm going to be the critic here. I thought overall we didn't play at the level we're capable of where we time and again instead of taking control of the puck turning defense into offense we simply cleared it out of our zone giving it back to the Gophers. Keeping sustained control of the puck I thought was our biggest weakness.
    It was guys taking the shots when they had them that gave us the win as we had more than a few really good opportunities in close and were our own worst enemy with the classic "one pass too many!"
    2nd period for us was quite lackluster which seems to be a thing for us. I don't know if we try to go on cruise control to have gas in the tank for the 3rd or what the deal is but we see it a lot.
    It was great to see Miller finally back in the lineup coming back from his injury a month and a half ago but his time on the ice seemed limited yet.
    I think we can get the sweep but we're going to have to have more sustained effort as you know Minnesota is going to push it harder tonight!

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied

Originally posted by slowe View Post
    Is this old news and I missed it? I’m surprised I haven’t seen this yet.

New hockey arena at Ohio State will be for women’s team, not men’s

https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/2...-not-menrsquos

The men’s team will continue to play out of Value City Arena and the women will get a new 2,500 seat arena. I’m too lazy to dig, but if I recall the women’s current rink is connected to infrastructure they want to demolish. So they need to do something there. But they’re now likely too cheap to get a nice dedicated 6,000 seat arena for hockey with a 1,500 seat practice rink / women’s competition rink. This will be expensive either way, so why not go all in for the nice arena?
    The are we getting a new area and how big should it be debate has resurfaced here for a number of years and I hope my reply does NOT rekindle it on forum.
    I can't speak to how recent or the validity of your article but many are opposed to the university tearing down St.John Arena as space clearing for a new sports complex and it would seem ridiculous to spend money on a new rink for the women after sinking a ton of money in renovations to the current rink.
    If they built a 2500 seat arena for women's hockey that means they would be play in front of a crowd that wouldn't even fill half of it!
    The proposed sports complex proposal has been out there for a number of years but I hear lack of funds is the reason it's been on the back shelf for some time.
    Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 12-06-2019, 09:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• slowe
    replied

Is this old news and I missed it? I’m surprised I haven’t seen this yet.

New hockey arena at Ohio State will be for women’s team, not men’s

https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/2...-not-menrsquos

The men’s team will continue to play out of Value City Arena and the women will get a new 2,500 seat arena. I’m too lazy to dig, but if I recall the women’s current rink is connected to infrastructure they want to demolish. So they need to do something there. But they’re now likely too cheap to get a nice dedicated 6,000 seat arena for hockey with a 1,500 seat practice rink / women’s competition rink. This will be expensive either way, so why not go all in for the nice arena?
    Last edited by slowe; 12-05-2019, 08:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• klbaum1077
    replied
    Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    I watched Minnesota play North Dakota and ND was the better team by far but watching the mistakes the Gophers made on their home ice that kept the games from being competitive (and their fan's lamentations here on forum) tells me that for whatever reasons is a team struggling and Uncle Bob has yet to right the ship.
    I'm not saying they can't be dangerous but if we don't make mistakes we should be able to handle them next weekend on our home ice.
    Speaking of next weekend I wonder if anyone will show for the Saturday game being in direct conflict with the football game?
    Because the men's basketball team plays at home Saturday at noon bumping up our game time is unfortunately not an option!
    Yea Minnesota is really inconsistent so far this year. I know i am not coming Saturday not sure about friday or not

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    Came out and played 2 good games. Did what they had to do to win. On to the gophers hope this can carry over.
    I watched Minnesota play North Dakota and ND was the better team by far but watching the mistakes the Gophers made on their home ice that kept the games from being competitive (and their fan's lamentations here on forum) tells me that for whatever reasons is a team struggling and Uncle Bob has yet to right the ship.
    I'm not saying they can't be dangerous but if we don't make mistakes we should be able to handle them next weekend on our home ice.
    Speaking of next weekend I wonder if anyone will show for the Saturday game being in direct conflict with the football game?
    Because the men's basketball team plays at home Saturday at noon bumping up our game time is unfortunately not an option!

Leave a comment:

• klbaum1077
    replied
    Wow, we sweep Michigan State and nobody here is commenting on it?
    Either the regulars are on the road with holiday travels or hung over form celebrating the football win yesterday!
    I'll sum up with the sweep we are tied now for 2nd in the conference and up to 10th in the Pairwise. Good job guys!
    However when you have a shot on goal count in the mid 30's with only ONE going in should we be working a LITTLE harder on the shot placement?
    Came out and played 2 good games. Did what they had to do to win. On to the gophers hope this can carry over.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied

Wow, we sweep Michigan State and nobody here is commenting on it?
    Either the regulars are on the road with holiday travels or hung over form celebrating the football win yesterday!
    I'll sum up with the sweep we are tied now for 2nd in the conference and up to 10th in the Pairwise. Good job guys!
    However when you have a shot on goal count in the mid 30's with only ONE going in should we be working a LITTLE harder on the shot placement?

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    It was said in the radio broadcast that he was back at thr hitel sick with the flu
    I sure hope he didn't share it with everyone!

Leave a comment:

• klbaum1077
    replied
    If Moyse is our #2 why didn't he travel with the team to Penn State? I ran into him about a week ago and he seemed well.
    It was said in the radio broadcast that he was back at thr hitel sick with the flu

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied

If Moyse is our #2 why didn't he travel with the team to Penn State? I ran into him about a week ago and he seemed well.

Leave a comment:

• klbaum1077
    replied

Much better effort tonight and who can argue when your school sweeps Penn State in multiple sports?
    I just hope Nappier is OK!
    Nice to get a split on the road against a very good team. Upper Body is all they reported on Tommy lets hope he can go next weekend. Michigan State took 4 Points from ND this weekend they are much improved.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied

Much better effort tonight and who can argue when your school sweeps Penn State in multiple sports?
    I just hope Nappier is OK!

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied

Looked really great the first couple of minutes keeping Penn State off balance and make a strong push in the last minutes and the rest of the game was mediocrity.
    Too much dump & chase not getting to the puck first, constantly clearing the puck from our end sending it to a Penn State player in the neutral zone time after time.
    No effort to get in position for the rebounds on our shots and the opposition did a very good job of anticipating what we were going to do all evening.
    I'd say we were out coached last night and not enough adjustments on our part to take Penn State off their game. Lastly I see us going way too much stick to stick when trying to defend, need to use the body and legal check to take a guy off the puck when he's trying to get to your net!
    Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 11-23-2019, 09:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• klbaum1077
    replied

Scoring 5 on 5 is becoming a real problem. Listening to the game seemed like more mental mistakes cost them and another to many men penalty. Need a win tonight

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye22
    replied

Team just announced defenseman Dominic Vidoli from Strongsville, OH is joining the team. He played a few games for BU last year before jumping down to the USHL where he finished last season and started this one with Sioux City. Not a huge sample size but it looks like he's put up decent numbers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X