Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    My question is does anybody else feel any concern that in our first 4 games that like 90% of our goals only come from the PP?
    Even strength 5 on 5 scoring seems to be eluding us for the most part so far.
    Yes that is concerning.

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

      Not much went right tonight for sure. When you get not one but two 5 minute Power Plays and in those major's you get an added 5 on 3 and still dont score your not going to win many games. Once again the entry inot the zone is killing them and when they do get into the zone it seems they are looking for the perfect shot all the time. Live an learn on the Mercyhurst.

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

        Rough night for hockey in CBus. Jackets lost in OT, we lost to an unranked team, and the Columbus Mavericks (our new junior team) got shelled 10-0 by the Metro Jets. As you guys have said, the lack of even strength scoring is a major concern. That said, its still a young team and they might just take a little extra time to gel. I think losing Jobst definitely hurt on the scoring front, but with the new additions I think the talent is there. Hopefully that talent will carry us enough to get by Mercyhurst and everyone will be more comfortable and on the same page by the time we get to TTUN.
        Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

        NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

        The Ohio State University '18
        University of Western Ontario '19

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

          We allowed ourselves to be gooned all game long. We lost two key players to injury and it doesn't do much for you when Omaha has two players tossed but your two are out with injury and for how long?
          We should have reached a point where instead of trying to get the win as payback we should have sent a message old school style.
          I never missed Josh Healey more!

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

            Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
            We allowed ourselves to be gooned all game long. We lost two key players to injury and it doesn't do much for you when Omaha has two players tossed but your two are out with injury and for how long?
            We should have reached a point where instead of trying to get the win as payback we should have sent a message old school style.
            I never missed Josh Healey more!
            Absolutely not

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

              Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
              Absolutely not
              Do I understand you correctly that you feel we SHOULDN'T have upped our physical play?

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

                Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                Do I understand you correctly that you feel we SHOULDN'T have upped our physical play?
                Maybe upped our physical play, but not to the point of playing dirty and trying to get payback rather than playing to win. Nothing against Josh Healey, he was great player and I enjoyed watching him play, but I don't see how going back to the "old school" days where our best defenseman was getting suspended every few weeks and we never won anything would be preferable to what we've had for the last couple of seasons.
                Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

                NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

                The Ohio State University '18
                University of Western Ontario '19

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

                  Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                  Maybe upped our physical play, but not to the point of playing dirty and trying to get payback rather than playing to win. Nothing against Josh Healey, he was great player and I enjoyed watching him play, but I don't see how going back to the "old school" days where our best defenseman was getting suspended every few weeks and we never won anything would be preferable to what we've had for the last couple of seasons.
                  I didn't mean specifically one has to play dirty with intent to injure but for those of us who can remember watching hockey in the old venues like Olympia in Detroit we don't see some things as "dirty", simply leveling the playing field.
                  Some aspects of the game haven't changed where some teams will push it as long as you allow them to. It's kind of an unwritten code of hockey where if you don't hit back then your opponent will push you as far as they can. Attempts to sanitize the game with good sportsmanship for all and clean play is an illusion because it's hockey and if one doesn't understand that then I can't make you understand.
                  One of our older OSU hockey alumni told me his team would have had a guy over the boards instantly to "send the message" and he still believes in it.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

                    I understand hockey perfectly well, thank you. The game has changed. Speed, skill, and vision on the ice are what win games and titles now. That's just the way it is. Less talented teams like UNO can keep things close and win a few games by gooning it up from time to time and getting teams off balance. At the end of the season, though, they're going to be sitting on their couches watching the Frozen Four from home. OSU just needs to figure out its scoring issues and we'll be fine. We shouldn't be worrying about dropping down to the playing style of a less talented team, as satisfying as that might seem in the short term.
                    Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

                    NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

                    The Ohio State University '18
                    University of Western Ontario '19

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

                      Sad we didnít get to meet up this year after we screwed the pooch but good luck the rest of the way and hope to see you on next yearís schedule. Weíll try to finish off Miami State in December (thatís for you Hockeybuckeye).

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

                        Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                        Do I understand you correctly that you feel we SHOULDN'T have upped our physical play?

                        Being more physical for sure but not trying to hurt someone

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

                          Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                          Weíll try to finish off Miami State in December (thatís for you Hockeybuckeye).
                          As I mentioned before my son is a Miami grad but I finally figured out how to keep them from calling soliciting donations.
                          I simply told them I'd donate when they change it back to Redskins - and they haven't called since!

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

                            Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                            The game has changed. Speed, skill, and vision on the ice are what win games and titles now. That's just the way it is. Less talented teams like UNO can keep things close and win a few games by gooning it up from time to time and getting teams off balance.
                            I don't disagree with your assessment on what wins games & titles and we're on the same team here but I think we simply have a difference in perspective on what you do to protect your players in a game when the other team takes the cheap shots.
                            What is your take on what to do in the situation we found ourselves Saturday?

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

                              Trying to get payback isn't the answer. You end up in the same situation (if anything you actually increase the chances of your players getting hurt) except now you have players getting suspended. The team that fights back often gets in more trouble than the team instigating things because its more obviously intentional. If we can't fix our even strength scoring we can play as physically as we like, it's still not going to win us a lot of games.
                              Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

                              NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

                              The Ohio State University '18
                              University of Western Ontario '19

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

                                Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                                Trying to get payback isn't the answer. You end up in the same situation (if anything you actually increase the chances of your players getting hurt) except now you have players getting suspended. The team that fights back often gets in more trouble than the team instigating things because its more obviously intentional. If we can't fix our even strength scoring we can play as physically as we like, it's still not going to win us a lot of games.
                                Thank's for sharing your thoughts on this but you and I are at opposite ends on this so no need to debate it further.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X