Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union College: 2019-2020

Originally posted by woodenskates View Post
    Thank you. Those are some great suggestions. I will make at least one of those work.
    The road trip to Canisius could be fun, too. On that Saturday (11/2), Union plays at Canisius at 4 PM. The game will be at Harborcenter in Buffalo and should end around 6, 630. Then one could literally walk across the street and see the Sabres play the Islanders at Key Bank Center at 7.

Comment

A new home for Newhouse
      Defenseman gets to suit up for NMU after sitting out a year

https://www.miningjournal.net/sports...-for-newhouse/

MARQUETTE — Ben Newhouse has found a new home.

Technically, the Edina, Minnesota, native found it last year with the Northern Michigan University hockey team, but after transferring from Union College in Schenectady, New York, the defenseman was forced to sit out the 2018-19 season due to NCAA transfer rules.

But this fall, he’s officially back on the ice, just that this time is at the Berry Events Center and he’s glad to be playing in Marquette, a welcome change from upstate New York.

“It was just a situation where I was at Union where it just academically, it probably wasn’t the best fit for me, and athletically it wasn’t going the way that I wanted it to,” he said. “I think this just was a better opportunity for me personally with some of the stuff in school that I could do and then athletically, having the opportunity with the amount of ‘D’ (defense) that we graduated last year.

The Wildcats are also more his style with the team’s fast-paced style of play, and NMU head coach Grant Potulny said that even though Newhouse hasn’t played in a game yet, he’s already made his presence felt in the locker room.

“He’s a great fit for how we play,” Potulny said. “He has elite skating ability. He’s got good offensive instincts and he can play either side, right or left. He has a right shot, so he’s probably going to start on the left.

“He’s probably worked harder than almost anybody I’ve ever seen my whole time in college hockey over the course of the summer. He started in March or whenever that time was where he wanted to improve his hands. He purchased a stick from the internet, a heavy stick that they sell now, and I would have to believe that when you think of that 10,000-hour rule, Ben put a lot of time on his stick this summer.

“Outside of the rink, if you see that Shooter Tutor, he brought that at home. He put that up and he’s out there shooting.”

The 10,000-hour rule has been cited that the way to become world class in any pursuit is to practice correctly for 10,000 hours, while the Shooter Tutor is a set of hockey training devices.

“He’s been an incredible addition to our team as just a person,” the NMU coach said. “You didn’t know that when you recruited him. You recruited the athlete because you remember him being a good player in junior hockey or in high school. You heard good things about him, but until you’re around him every day, you don’t realize how phenomenal of a person he is.

“So he’s had a huge impact already and he hasn’t even played yet. I think he’s going to be one of the defensemen we really count on to play a lot of minutes this year.”

Newhouse will definitely get some minutes as he will be joining a defensive corps that looks very different from last year, when it was much more of a veteran group. However, he’s embracing the opportunity to become a leader for the Wildcats.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Story about our upgraded our sound system.

Union College Hockey Upgrades Arena Sound

https://www.avnetwork.com/news/union...es-arena-sound
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Are the golf courses still open in early November? Thinking about making the Clarkson/SLU weekend and need something to do Saturday.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

There are several half decent courses in Schenectady. Here is how they are rated on google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sche...E,lf:1,lf_ui:1

The Stadium Golf Course is where the Hockey Teams holds their annual spring golf tournament. It's usually timed with the reunion weekend. https://www.stadiumgolfclub.com/ They stay opened until "the first snow flies" and claim that it's impossible to determine from year to year.
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
              Story about our upgraded our sound system.

Union College Hockey Upgrades Arena Sound

https://www.avnetwork.com/news/union...es-arena-sound
              The boys started skating together in “Captain’s” practices on Monday. Most of them have arrived at school. Official practices start next week. Hockey season is coming.

Comment

Was the sound system a priority? It seemed OK to me.
                I keep reading that the facilities are substandard for a D-1 program, including the ice freezing system.
                I hope there are other improvements on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by woodenskates View Post
                  The boys started skating together in “Captain’s” practices on Monday. Most of them have arrived at school. Official practices start next week. Hockey season is coming.
                  Do we know who the Captains will be this year?
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I am always amazed of the importance of incoming freshmen classes are to college hockey. How hungry will this Dutchmen team be? How fast can they develop? Leadership? Team personality? Injuries? Past success does not translate into future results ... a stretch goal would be a .500 and a top half of the ECAC. There are so many variables that go into a successful hockey program. Lets get the show on the road.
                    Last edited by Dutchman; 09-06-2019, 11:53 AM.
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                      Do we know who the Captains will be this year?
                      I haven't heard. But here's my uninformed guess:

C: Emelifeonwu
                      A: Estes
                      A: Harrison

Comment

New roster is out....

Two things I noticed:

Blake Hayward is gone. It's not a huge surprise considering he played in just three games last year, all early in the season, and was not hurt.

And a new name: Drew Blackmun, a junior transfer from Northeastern.
                        Last edited by ecachawkeyfan; 09-10-2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Are the chairback seats at your rink still just the lower sections on the penalty box side of the ice, or have they been added to the side with the teams' benches during a renovation?

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                            Are the chairback seats at your rink still just the lower sections on the penalty box side of the ice, or have they been added to the side with the teams' benches during a renovation?
                            Still just on the penalty box side of the ice.

Comment

Former Union player Luc Brown has resurfaced at the University of Alaska Anchorage:

https://goseawolves.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4987

Comment

How did we lose him? What happened? I thought he was pretty good. We could sure use his scoring right now !!!
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X