X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I do not feel that we have the horses to do that, but I certainly like a last minute tying goal for RPI much more than a last minute tying goal against RPI which has happened much more often in recent years. If there were any potential recruits in the HFH yesterday, they probably got positive vibes about RPI. (No one has mentioned any sightings.) It's a start in the right direction which needs to be built on.
    Dave's winning % thru his first two seasons is .267
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
      Also the premier bar keeper in the capital district and all around good guy !
      Whenever youre in the Electric City you have to stop at http://www.katieobyrnespub.com/
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

To be fair, I am not blaming everything on Smith. This debacle starts at the top and along those lines Lee's record in hockey at RPI when they took interim off his title is 30-87-10. So the football program is good bx of resources and facility. Not hard Lee!

Comment

• RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          You are so right! https://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance/division-i-men/ And i believe this chart is not including this past weekend's games. Bad enough that we were 31st in total attendance, worse is our standing if we list these by percentage of capacity. i am sure the reasons are multi factorial but I doubt that we are all that different from other schools listed well above us.
          It doesn’t help the % capacity calculation that they use a figure (5217) for HFH that hasn’t been accurate for well over a decade. That was the capacity with the old section 1 grandstand in place. Take away the behind stage seats, which no one in their right mind would buy for any game besides the Freakout, and the effective capacity is about 4,000.

In many ways the Field House is a great asset and detriment. On the rare occasion when it is full these days it is still electric. The problem is that when we sit roughly on the median for college hockey (31st out of 60) at 2,500 per game, it’s hard to generate excitement.

Meanwhile, the announcers talked about Union’s nice crowd (1600) in their small barn for a well-known opponent on a Saturday night. But for one of the most extreme examples of fall-off, Yale, only a half-decade removed from a national title, is averaging roughly 60% of capacity and was 500 short of a full house for a Saturday night contest with nationally-ranked Harvard, their biggest rival.

P.S. The currently displayed chart, still at 31, does include this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by rpi82; 12-08-2019, 11:10 AM.

Comment

After being there Friday and paying attention to the surroundings more than usual:

- the students weren’t there and outnumbered by the locals. That’s amazing to me given the fact the state of the program the last 15 years.
            - the HFH environment is horrible. The band has been minimalized like a visiting teams band. They’re not allowed to play during most breaks. The piped in music is old and embarrassing and not topical given the crowd. It’s too old for the students and too young for the locals. Whoever owns this aspect should be fired ASAP.
            - the product on-ice isn’t inspiring. It hasn’t changed from the previous regimes dumpster fire which I’m sure further depresses the crowd. On top of that, most of the ECAC doesn’t play the brand of hockey you see on the TV. can you identify the pro style in what transpired on ice this weekend?
            - the RPITV production surpasses most, all(?) college hockey productions available today. Why would you go unless you were guaranteed an exciting experience?
            - the local fan base is fed up, understandably. I sensed a lot of bitterness in general. The team has been poor for the last 15 years, and folks are tired of the stupid mistakes, poor play, low emotion.

It’s too bad the program is in shambles. It exposes a lot of the rough edges (Troy, HFH) that aren’t a factor when winning, but when losing become all too glaring. This decay isn’t a recent development, but it’s very sad to see what has been allowed to happen in the last 15 years.
            Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
              After being there Friday and paying attention to the surroundings more than usual:

- the students weren’t there and outnumbered by the locals. That’s amazing to me given the fact the state of the program the last 15 years.
              - the HFH environment is horrible. The band has been minimalized like a visiting teams band. They’re not allowed to play during most breaks. The piped in music is old and embarrassing and not topical given the crowd. It’s too old for the students and too young for the locals. Whoever owns this aspect should be fired ASAP.
              - the product on-ice isn’t inspiring. It hasn’t changed from the previous regimes dumpster fire which I’m sure further depresses the crowd. On top of that, most of the ECAC doesn’t play the brand of hockey you see on the TV. can you identify the pro style in what transpired on ice this weekend?
              - the RPITV production surpasses most, all(?) college hockey productions available today. Why would you go unless you were guaranteed an exciting experience?
              - the local fan base is fed up, understandably. I sensed a lot of bitterness in general. The team has been poor for the last 15 years, and folks are tired of the stupid mistakes, poor play, low emotion.

It’s too bad the program is in shambles. It exposes a lot of the rough edges (Troy, HFH) that aren’t a factor when winning, but when losing become all too glaring. This decay isn’t a recent development, but it’s very sad to see what has been allowed to happen in the last 15 years.
              Is it a fact that the band music has been cut back? If it is, someone needs to be fired.
              The band was a big reason that I drove 2 hours to see the games. I remember great games when the opposition brought their band and our band would go against them. Just as much fun as some of the action on the ice. Also, I remember a game at Army when we brought our band and Army had to scramble to get their own band in the building. Great entertainment for all the fans.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

Apparently my response to the Red Army tweet last night wasn't taken so well by those in leadership of said group. Hey what's a boomer by the way?
                Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post

Watch out calling out the students, they will call you a boomer. Whatever that is.
                  Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                    Watch out calling out the students, they will call you a boomer. Whatever that is.
                    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boomer

Comment

Oh cool, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                        Apparently my response to the Red Army tweet last night wasn't taken so well by those in leadership of said group. Hey what's a boomer by the way?
                        You can smooth things over by buying them some beer. I think you are flush with cash after your trip inside the SEFCU Money Machine on the ice between periods!

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                          Is it a fact that the band music has been cut back? If it is, someone needs to be fired.
                          I don't know if it has been cut back but for a number of years, the band leader has had a headset on to communicate with somebody in the press box so they don't play over the reading of sponsor advertising, etc. Recorded music has also been piped in seemingly during about half of the breaks in play for a number of years, instead of the band playing, but I am not sure why that is. I did notice the band doing a dance routine to recorded music after the alma mater both nights this weekend, which gave me a chuckle.

I, too, would like to hear the band play more, except for "The Office" theme song, which seems permanently on the playlist. Not sure how gets into a pep band playbook.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                            It doesn’t help the % capacity calculation that they use a figure (5217) for HFH that hasn’t been accurate for well over a decade. That was the capacity with the old section 1 grandstand in place. Take away the behind stage seats, which no one in their right mind would buy for any game besides the Freakout, and the effective capacity is about 4,000.
                            That's a good point, and I would also take the USCHO stats with a grain of salt. Those numbers are self reported and each school counts differently (e.g. tickets sold or given away instead of actual attendance). Watching Minnesota on TV this year, there is no way they are over 80% capacity, unless half the people attending have dressed as empty seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                              You can smooth things over by buying them some beer. I think you are flush with cash after your trip inside the SEFCU Money Machine on the ice between periods!
                              Flush with crumpled up $1 and $5 bills and the blower not running the first 10 seconds haha.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                                First, I agree with Doc, that there is nothing like watching hockey in person. I truly miss it.
                                I have done some digging into RPI's record since the 04/-5 season (that's as far back as I could find)
                                Since 04/05, our record is 196-310-63. Not pretty.
                                Since then, we have had 4 winning seasons.
                                09/10 18-17-4
                                10/11 20-13-5 we followed that season with 12-24-3
                                12/13 18-14-5
                                15/16 18-15-7 we followed that with 8-21-1

That is not going to bring the fans rushing to see the games. Just sayin'
                                You can find RPI's season by season record here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...hockey_seasons

It's a bit hard to read, but it confirms your point of an overall trend. Fridgen was 18 games over .500 over his tenure, but 28-39-8 his last two years. Seth was 69 games under .500. Even Mike Addesa's last 3 seasons were under .500. Going back further, you can see plenty of down periods. RPI's all-time record is just over .500.

In other words, I think it is fair to say that the attendance is probably down for a combination of reasons not solely down to poor play. Disinterested students, competition from increased sports entertainment options (locally, online, and otherwise), and a lack of immunity from national attendance trends are all part of the mix.

The real issue with the atmosphere this weekend is that the team is in a real funk in terms of scoring and running an effective power play, and even creating good chances for that matter, so both games seemed pretty uninspiring even though RPI controlled the shots on goal statistic. Part of that is a lack of scoring talent, an evergreen issue for RPI hockey over the last 10+ years, but I'd like to see a bit more aggressive pressing forecheck style to try and create turnovers. That was effective early in the season, but RPI has seemed to abandon it, perhaps out of fear of defensive lapses.

Comment

Working...
                                X