This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

And I quote a older person who was sitting behind me in the Section 9 last night: "This isn't the Field House I knew." Says it all about where the program is. I have missed maybe 3 home games in the past 10-15 years and I can say without a doubt, that the past few weekends have been deader than a doornail. Only thing that saves it from a full on funeral type feel is the pep band which is shrinking week by week it seems as well. Glad to see some of the students trying to be more active in coming to games (Red Army or whatever it is called) but to see them sitting on their hands all night last night only to come "alive" for the taco minute and when RPI pulled the goalie is kinda sad. Do some research on how the bigger fan bases keep involved in the entire game and try to implement some of that. I get it that winning brings fans in but even during the lean years with AspyDads hero OGC Seth Appert, the place was filled above the 1500-2000 range.

Ok rant over, glad to see a comeback win last night after 59:58 of some pretty rough hockey to watch.
    Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
      And I quote a older person who was sitting behind me in the Section 9 last night: "This isn't the Field House I knew." Says it all about where the program is. I have missed maybe 3 home games in the past 10-15 years and I can say without a doubt, that the past few weekends have been deader than a doornail. Only thing that saves it from a full on funeral type feel is the pep band which is shrinking week by week it seems as well. Glad to see some of the students trying to be more active in coming to games (Red Army or whatever it is called) but to see them sitting on their hands all night last night only to come "alive" for the taco minute and when RPI pulled the goalie is kinda sad. Do some research on how the bigger fan bases keep involved in the entire game and try to implement some of that. I get it that winning brings fans in but even during the lean years with AspyDads hero OGC Seth Appert, the place was filled above the 1500-2000 range.

Ok rant over, glad to see a comeback win last night after 59:58 of some pretty rough hockey to watch.
      There has been a decline in interest in hockey and college sports in general by students and apparently also the general public just about everywhere. It probably is more the case in places like RPI where the team is not performing well. I have also been reading similar thoughts over at eLynah. I know that when I have been in Troy the last few years. I have wondered why I bother going. The SLU game which I attended seemed dead. It was better against CCT, but that was probably due to there being a large contingent of their fans.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

There are three things that has affected the attendance at HFH.
        1. The product on the ice for the last 20 years.
        2 The age of the fan base. I used to go to at least 5 games a year, now because I can't drive at night, I won't be going to a single game this year.
        3. RPItv Even if I could go to a game, why would I leave the comfort of my living room to drive 2 hours to watch my team lose.

I am sure that the students would show up if we started winning, but I fear that the town folk may be lost forever.

As for last night, it was a very exciting finish. And I love a win going into the holidays, but the rest of the game was nothing to write home about.
        We played two teams this weekend that we should have put away, and it took us to the very end of regulation to salvage the weekend.
        The team needs to show some consistency and win on a more regular basis if they want to bring the fans in.
        I love this team and this school and will be a fan for life, but I sure wish they would win more games than they lose. It has been a long time.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          There has been a decline in interest in hockey and college sports in general by students and apparently also the general public just about everywhere. It probably is more the case in places like RPI where the team is not performing well. I have also been reading similar thoughts over at eLynah. I know that when I have been in Troy the last few years. I have wondered why I bother going. The SLU game which I attended seemed dead. It was better against CCT, but that was probably due to there being a large contingent of their fans.
          There is no marketing of the games on TV/Radio that I have saw or heard in years other than the Tuesday segment Coach Smith does on 104.5 the Team ESPN Radio. And even that just feels like a hey lets throw them a bone type deal.
          Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
            There are three things that has affected the attendance at HFH.
            1. The product on the ice for the last 20 years.
            2 The age of the fan base. I used to go to at least 5 games a year, now because I can't drive at night, I won't be going to a single game this year.
            3. RPItv Even if I could go to a game, why would I leave the comfort of my living room to drive 2 hours to watch my team lose.

I am sure that the students would show up if we started winning, but I fear that the town folk may be lost forever.

As for last night, it was a very exciting finish. And I love a win going into the holidays, but the rest of the game was nothing to write home about.
            We played two teams this weekend that we should have put away, and it took us to the very end of regulation to salvage the weekend.
            The team needs to show some consistency and win on a more regular basis if they want to bring the fans in.
            I love this team and this school and will be a fan for life, but I sure wish they would win more games than they lose. It has been a long time.
            RPITV is great for fans like yourself who are 2+ hours away and have conditions that don't allow you to make the trek up. I'm in full agreement that more winning would be nice.

Comment

RPITV is great for fans like yourself who are 2+ hours away and have conditions that don't allow you to make the trek up. I'm in full agreement that more winning would be nice.
              Speaking just for Jenny and myself, the trip is over 3 hours. We used to commute up for every weekend series and all Christmas Tournament games. We even drove up for the rare mid week game. But that stopped almost 20 years ago. Had nothing to do with the team, winning or the product on the ice. had to do mostly with the drive up itself. The Thruway and Troy was no big deal and has not changed all that much. But the 90 minute trek up the Garden State Parkway is truly a nightmare. It is the Indianapolis 500 on steroids with drivers trying to pass by you on both sides and cutting you off so dangerously that each and every trip had so many close calls. We have been able to get to see virtually all the games at Princeton (which is a 1+ hour trip for us) but even that cross Jersey trip on Interstate 195 has become as bad.
              Sure RPI TV has made a difference but truthfully we feel that nothing compares to seeing the boys live. I fully understand those of us who have to commute a distance to HFH having to give that up, but that is not an excuse for the locals and especially the students who can walk to the games.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Want a game day experience go to Utica. 3,000 to 3,500 consistently community and school support. Oh and did I mention they are a D3 school. First game I ever attended was completely impressed. Made HFH feel like the empty plane hangar it is.

Comment

First, I agree with Doc, that there is nothing like watching hockey in person. I truly miss it.
                  I have done some digging into RPI's record since the 04/-5 season (that's as far back as I could find)
                  Since 04/05, our record is 196-310-63. Not pretty.
                  Since then, we have had 4 winning seasons.
                  09/10 18-17-4
                  10/11 20-13-5 we followed that season with 12-24-3
                  12/13 18-14-5
                  15/16 18-15-7 we followed that with 8-21-1

That is not going to bring the fans rushing to see the games. Just sayin'
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

. AspyDads hero OGC Seth Appert, .
                    Man, I love that dude!
                    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                      First, I agree with Doc, that there is nothing like watching hockey in person. I truly miss it.
                      I have done some digging into RPI's record since the 04/-5 season (that's as far back as I could find)
                      Since 04/05, our record is 196-310-63. Not pretty.
                      Since then, we have had 4 winning seasons.
                      09/10 18-17-4
                      10/11 20-13-5 we followed that season with 12-24-3
                      12/13 18-14-5
                      15/16 18-15-7 we followed that with 8-21-1

That is not going to bring the fans rushing to see the games. Just sayin'
                      Agreed we are according to USCHO RPI rankings #50 of 60 and our 6 wins are #35 UConn/#60 Caniaus x2/#56 St.Lawrance/#55 Brown/#58 Union and throw in a tie w/#57 Princeton not sure that's the pond we want to be swimming in. If Ralph or anyone feels we have the horses on the ground or In the que to move the needle 25 spots to maybe a top 25 team I'm all ears but at this point check me off in the skeptic column JMO
                      What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                        No other stat than 3800 shows what a freefall this program is in. That used to be mediocre attendance for a home game. That was the total attendance this weekend. Pathetic!!!
                        John K is a legend in RPI fandom! To your point, the AD didn't even come this weekend.
                        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          Speaking just for Jenny and myself, the trip is over 3 hours. We used to commute up for every weekend series and all Christmas Tournament games. We even drove up for the rare mid week game. But that stopped almost 20 years ago. Had nothing to do with the team, winning or the product on the ice. had to do mostly with the drive up itself. The Thruway and Troy was no big deal and has not changed all that much. But the 90 minute trek up the Garden State Parkway is truly a nightmare. It is the Indianapolis 500 on steroids with drivers trying to pass by you on both sides and cutting you off so dangerously that each and every trip had so many close calls. We have been able to get to see virtually all the games at Princeton (which is a 1+ hour trip for us) but even that cross Jersey trip on Interstate 195 has become as bad.
                          Sure RPI TV has made a difference but truthfully we feel that nothing compares to seeing the boys live. I fully understand those of us who have to commute a distance to HFH having to give that up, but that is not an excuse for the locals and especially the students who can walk to the games.
                          Troyboy and I were talking just the other day abt some of our road trips w/ the team and one of our fondest memories was drinking out in the parking lot outside Hobey Baker and having dinner with you ,Jenny and Baboo. Dr D is one of the greatest story tellers I have ever met. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful Jenny!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            It's not limited to college hockey. Even at the pro levels and in all sports, attendance is down.

Comment

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                              John K is a legend in RPI fandom! To your point, the AD didn't even come this weekend.
                              Also the premier bar keeper in the capital district and all around good guy !
                              What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                                Agreed we are according to USCHO RPI rankings #50 of 60 and our 6 wins are #35 UConn/#60 Caniaus x2/#56 St.Lawrance/#55 Brown/#58 Union and throw in a tie w/#57 Princeton not sure that's the pond we want to be swimming in. If Ralph or anyone feels we have the horses on the ground or In the que to move the needle 25 spots to maybe a top 25 team I'm all ears but at this point check me off in the skeptic column JMO
                                I do not feel that we have the horses to do that, but I certainly like a last minute tying goal for RPI much more than a last minute tying goal against RPI which has happened much more often in recent years. If there were any potential recruits in the HFH yesterday, they probably got positive vibes about RPI. (No one has mentioned any sightings.) It's a start in the right direction which needs to be built on.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X