X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
    I see where you're defending a coach; been there done that. This program is in absolute freefall. The losses that we suffered from players that left are devastating. Are you trying to tell me the loss of Hayhurst is nothing? The kid plays on the 2nd line for Michigan. Correct me if I'm wrong but he was the leading scorer for RPI last year? Emil is better than anything we have on our second, third and fourth lines. The loss of recruits is beyond words; it proves there is a problem. For sure, let's see what Dave does but beating Cansius twice, SLU (new coach and in the midst of a major rebuild), a bad Union team and UCONN does not knock my socks off. In fact 3 out of the 5 wins are against last place teams in their respective leagues.
    Hayhurst and Emil O haven't kept Michigan out of being tied currently for the B1G cellar.

I wouldn't say that the "the loss of recruits is beyond words". Assuming that you are referring to Sarlo and Fontaine, it would not surprise me if they committed to RPI with the intention of jumping if something better came along, especially Fontaine who no doubt would have preferred NU all along where his sister is and one of his prep school linemates with the other going there with him next season. Recruiting has changed in recent years and smaller schools like RPI are hurting on account of it. Hopefully Smith and his staff tried to keep Sarlo and Fontaine but I am not convinced that anyone could have kept them committed to RPI. If you are also referring to Mike Cameron, I really don't think that he is the type of player who fits Smith's system. (I also don't think that Max Itagaki fits his system, so there is a bit of uncertainty in my mind.)

The five W's we have haven't knocked my socks off either, but I do see improvements over the past. I don't know how to get the total stats, but certainly relative shot totals between us and our opponents and faceoff stats have been improving over past years. The ECAC overall past the top three teams is quite poor this year, so I agree that we should be doing better. It is a bit simplistic, but we lost yesterday because Yale twice scored after we failed to score on short-handed breakaways.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Only saw parts of last night’s game but it did seem like so many others this season - pretty good play followed by periods of passivity that lead to extended possession and scoring chances for the opposition. You can feel goals coming because we just stop skating (competing?) for a few minutes. We think we’re on the right track because we play an opponent well for 80+% of the game, but good teams will take advantage of that other 20%.

I can’t call myself a Smith backer (still can’t figure out how he got the job), but I have been in favor of giving him time because I saw some season over season improvement and in-game adjustments. However, this season is critical. With all of the top scorers, such as they are in our goal-starved lineup, being seniors, he’s really got to get us to home ice this season or start thinking of his escape route. Tonight’s game is critical for that to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Hayhurst and Emil O haven't kept Michigan out of being tied currently for the B1G cellar.
        Smith recruits haven't help us from being a poor team either. B10 much better league. Hayhurst was leading scorer for two years in Troy.

"Despite missing seven games due to injury, junior Jacob Hayhurst was once again RPI's top point-getter, collecting 23 on three goals 20 assists."

Source - https://rpiathletics.com/news/2019/4...on-review.aspx
        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

I wouldn't say that the "the loss of recruits is beyond words".
          I would. You lost guys who would have made significant contributions. Also, the recruiting trail is abt reputation and relationships....something is wrong when you lose the amount of players we've lost.
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Smith recruits haven't help us from being a poor team either. B10 much better league. Hayhurst was leading scorer for two years in Troy.

"Despite missing seven games due to injury, junior Jacob Hayhurst was once again RPI's top point-getter, collecting 23 on three goals 20 assists."

The B1G is certainly a better league on average than the ECAC this year. You don't have to post Hayhurst's contribution to RPI. What you posted, by the way, was under Smith's tutelage. Granted he was an Appert recruit and his Freshman year was under SA.

I would. You lost guys who would have made significant contributions. Also, the recruiting trail is abt reputation and relationships....something is wrong when you lose the amount of players we've lost.
            Can you please say which other recruits you are referring to, if any, besides Fontaine, Sarlo, and Mike C? There are many schools who have lost a similar amount. Just look at the number of crossed out players on Heisenberg's list (only includes recent losses and does include players whom the school dropped also.

I agree that recruiting is a large part reputation and relationships.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
              Only saw parts of last night’s game but it did seem like so many others this season - pretty good play followed by periods of passivity that lead to extended possession and scoring chances for the opposition. You can feel goals coming because we just stop skating (competing?) for a few minutes. We think we’re on the right track because we play an opponent well for 80+% of the game, but good teams will take advantage of that other 20%.

I can’t call myself a Smith backer (still can’t figure out how he got the job), but I have been in favor of giving him time because I saw some season over season improvement and in-game adjustments. However, this season is critical. With all of the top scorers, such as they are in our goal-starved lineup, being seniors, he’s really got to get us to home ice this season or start thinking of his escape route. Tonight’s game is critical for that to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RPI played a decent game last night. Bottom line is they simply cannot put the puck in the net. They did not bury their chances. Against a team below them in the standings they absolutely needed to beat. But what struck me more than anything else last night was they looked like a team following the script but with little passion for what they were doing. They looked like they were playing the first game of the season not a game at the half way point. Absolutely no sense of urgency. Smith pointed out how he wouldn't change a thing. He stated they played a good game and out shot and out chanced Yale. That all may be true on paper but they didn't look like a team that needed wins. They needed to look like a desperate Union team that went out and took it to Brown. Now pathetic Union is ahead of RPI in the standings and we sit here and wonder who the recruits will be the next couple of years. And hope that a similar effort will produce wins. When all the evidence says otherwise.

Comment

You don't have to post Hayhurst's contribution to RPI. What you posted, by the way, was under Smith's tutelage.
                1) With all due respect ;I can post what I want. This is why ppl leave this thread bx of the thought police.
                2) Do you think the kid would have left if he loved "Smith's tutelage"?
                Last edited by AspyDad; 12-07-2019, 11:35 AM.

Comment

And we're supposed to be excited over three goals?

These kids need to learn how to finish, and last night proved that.

Comment

Originally posted by NPC19850330 View Post
                    And we're supposed to be excited over three goals?

These kids need to learn how to finish, and last night proved that.
                    He was like Wayne Gretzky compared to what we have now.

Comment

1) With all due respect ;I can post what I want. This is why ppl leave this thread bx of the thought police.
                      2) Do you think the kid would have left if he loved "Smith's tutelage"?
                      Of course you can post what you want. I just meant that I knew what he did at RPI.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Of course you can post what you want. I just meant that I knew what he did at RPI.
                        Ok, thank you.

Comment

Merry Christmas. Nice present tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                            I see where you're defending a coach; been there done that. This program is in absolute freefall. The losses that we suffered from players that left are devastating. Are you trying to tell me the loss of Hayhurst is nothing? The kid plays on the 2nd line for Michigan. Correct me if I'm wrong but he was the leading scorer for RPI last year? Emil is better than anything we have on our second, third and fourth lines. The loss of recruits is beyond words; it proves there is a problem. For sure, let's see what Dave does but beating Cansius twice, SLU (new coach and in the midst of a major rebuild), a bad Union team and UCONN does not knock my socks off. In fact 3 out of the 5 wins are against last place teams in their respective leagues.
                            No other stat than 3800 shows what a freefall this program is in. That used to be mediocre attendance for a home game. That was the total attendance this weekend. Pathetic!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnk View Post
                              No other stat than 3800 shows what a freefall this program is in. That used to be mediocre attendance for a home game. That was the total attendance this weekend. Pathetic!!!

With finals for students and so much football and the upcoming holidays for everyone else, it’s a tough weekend for attendance. Adding in what seems like a downward trend in college sports overall and our program in particular, means 3800 is probably as much as we should expect. I checked out the other ECAC games on ESPN+ and, with the exception of SLU-Clarkson, there were major blocks of empty seats. Harvard, in particular, couldn’t have had much over 1500 and, if their student section is still under the press box, only a double digit number of students. Even BU only drew 3,600 tonight for cross-town rival Northeastern.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                                You are so right! https://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance/division-i-men/ And i believe this chart is not including this past weekend's games. Bad enough that we were 31st in total attendance, worse is our standing if we list these by percentage of capacity. i am sure the reasons are multi factorial but I doubt that we are all that different from other schools listed well above us.
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X