X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snively65
    replied
    Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
    Why no BC “for obvious reasons?” Sacred Heart and Mercyhurst are both Catholic institutions and they will be playing in the tournament next season. PC has played there as well. In fact, I just noticed that P.C. has an overseas study program in Belfast.

As for Quinnipiac to HE, my understanding is they are very happy in the ECAC and have no desire to leave. They are positioned to be competitive every season and, as a school that has enhanced its stature tremendously in the last 25 years, they like the association with the Ivies and other selective privates. In particular, I don’t think they ever dreamed of playing rivalry games with Yale and it has come to pass (of course, for the Elis it will never match Yale v Harvard or Cornell, but the energy in the Whale or the TD center is definitely up for the Whitney Street rivalry). I have no doubt they’d do well in HE and it would be a good relationship, but they are already getting what they want and need in the ECAC.
    I could not agree more. I have been following Quinnipiac since before they were an AHC team, and no question they relish competing with Vlae. I cannot imagine them ever leaving the ECAC, as long as the Ivy's stay in that conference. Their just barely off-campus arena is a gem. :-)

Leave a comment:

• rpi82
    replied
    Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
    I don't think it's related to Joe at all. The list of teams who haven't gone in the last four years (and thus are eligible to go again), excluding BC who wouldn't set foot there for obvious reasons, is Merrimack (already in a Thanksgiving tourney with UML), Lowell (See previous), UVM (Already hosts a Christmas tournament, may have a new head coach), and UMass. If either of UMass or UVM didn't want to go, Hockey East had no chance of sending two teams. Keep in mind the ECAC is only sending QU, so this isn't a Hockey East only problem.
    Why no BC “for obvious reasons?” Sacred Heart and Mercyhurst are both Catholic institutions and they will be playing in the tournament next season. PC has played there as well. In fact, I just noticed that P.C. has an overseas study program in Belfast.

As for Quinnipiac to HE, my understanding is they are very happy in the ECAC and have no desire to leave. They are positioned to be competitive every season and, as a school that has enhanced its stature tremendously in the last 25 years, they like the association with the Ivies and other selective privates. In particular, I don’t think they ever dreamed of playing rivalry games with Yale and it has come to pass (of course, for the Elis it will never match Yale v Harvard or Cornell, but the energy in the Whale or the TD center is definitely up for the Whitney Avenue rivalry). I have no doubt they’d do well in HE and it would be a good relationship, but they are already getting what they want and need in the ECAC.
    Last edited by rpi82; 10-12-2019, 09:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UML Puck Hawk
    replied
    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

New Streaming info

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied
    Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
    After seeing the way those canadian teams played in exhibition a few years ago, no thanks to McGill.

I like Bentley (new rink at 4k is fine in this day and age), Holy Cross a little bit of a dark horse due to lack of stadium/competition from Worcester Railers. Maybe the newly legit AIC is in the conversation?

UMaine Portland?
    Bentley's wonderful new arena seats 1917, not 4K.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
    Quinnipiac makes sense to me.
    Unfortunately, Hockey East doesn't make sense for Quinnipiac. They'd be here already if it did.

Leave a comment:

• BlackI
    replied
    Originally posted by McBain75 View Post
    I saw the part in Connolly and Hendrickson's season preview about a 12th team in Hockey East. Please, no Arizona State. One of the best things I feel that works for the conference is its geographic concentration. Recognizable regional rivalries. The tough question then is, what potential places have the resources and desire to compete at that level? Thinking not that much further afield, Syracuse comes to mind, they have a women's program, but like anything else, always depends on donors coming up with the necessary start up cash. Everyone always says URI, but again, where's the desire and the cash. I think NYC would be a great market to step into (which every conference thinks) if there was a suitable candidate. Something from thinking WAY outside the box? - McGill.
    Quinnipiac makes sense to me.

Leave a comment:

• TheRevengeance
    replied

I don't think it's related to Joe at all. The list of teams who haven't gone in the last four years (and thus are eligible to go again), excluding BC who wouldn't set foot there for obvious reasons, is Merrimack (already in a Thanksgiving tourney with UML), Lowell (See previous), UVM (Already hosts a Christmas tournament, may have a new head coach), and UMass. If either of UMass or UVM didn't want to go, Hockey East had no chance of sending two teams. Keep in mind the ECAC is only sending QU, so this isn't a Hockey East only problem.

Leave a comment:

• Middle Street
    replied

I was wondering the same. Maybe they wanted to give some schools in other conferences an opportunity to participate?

Leave a comment:

• HockeyRef
    replied

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    The first fallout from Joe’s contract not being renewed has now occurred. Hockey East teams will not be participating in the 2020 Friendship Four in Belfast.

Sean
    Sean, sorry for asking what is prob a stupid q, but how does his leaving affect team selection? I'm not privvy to the tournaments history... We are going to this years F4 tourney and are really excited...glad we have this chance...

Leave a comment:

• boblav1
    replied

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    Personally, I'm very sorry to see this. I went over for the first one and had the time of my life. Games were well-attended (much bigger crowds than typical HEA games) and local fans were knowledgeable and appreciative. The few players I knew well enough to talk to thought it was an eye-opening experience. And then there was Rockies, the Mother of all Hockey Bars (run by a Canadian expat) on the ground floor of the arena.

Oh well, HEA's loss is apparently Atlantic Hockey's gain.

Leave a comment:

• Split-N
    replied

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    The first fallout from Joe’s contract not being renewed has now occurred. Hockey East teams will not be participating in the 2020 Friendship Four in Belfast.
    Personally, I'm very sorry to see this. I went over for the first one and had the time of my life. Games were well-attended (much bigger crowds than typical HEA games) and local fans were knowledgeable and appreciative. The few players I knew well enough to talk to thought it was an eye-opening experience. And then there was Rockies, the Mother of all Hockey Bars (run by a Canadian expat) on the ground floor of the arena.

Oh well, HEA's loss is apparently Atlantic Hockey's gain.

Leave a comment:

• Ma#1ne Hky
    replied

Originally posted by DLG View Post
    Probably not in the cards but Quinnipiac has been my first choice
    Would expand the footprint more toward New York
    they have televised games on cable in that region
    Close and an outstanding hockey facility
    QUINNIPIAC would be ideal...but do you think QU would want to leave ECAC..?

Leave a comment:

• Sean Pickett
    replied

Sean

Leave a comment:

• Sean Pickett
    replied

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Is that the team that got booted for winning too much? Sign of the times.
    Yes

Sean

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

Is that the team that got booted for winning too much? Sign of the times.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X