X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• palmettofriar
    replied
    Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Nobody, not even UVM fans, needs to see the Catamounts in the playoffs.

On top of that, the battle for the #8 spot should come right down to the wire. Granted there will actually be a decent team that finishes 9th this year but I couldn't care less. The coach won't be happy but I think it's great. Adds more value to the regular season.

Finally, probably not feasible but give me more afternoon games. Tough to come back after a night game but use Sunday afternoons as a time slot. Really wish they would explore that.
    Agree, would also appreciate more afternoon games.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Nobody, not even UVM fans, needs to see the Catamounts in the playoffs.

On top of that, the battle for the #8 spot should come right down to the wire. Granted there will actually be a decent team that finishes 9th this year but I couldn't care less. The coach won't be happy but I think it's great. Adds more value to the regular season.

Finally, probably not feasible but give me more afternoon games. Tough to come back after a night game but use Sunday afternoons as a time slot. Really wish they would explore that.

Leave a comment:

• brassbonanza
    replied

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    Respectfully disagree. This is the "Everyone Gets a Trophy" mentality at its worst. Yes, a good team is going to get left out in the cold but the drama that is now playing out in the standings give meaning and purpose to the regular season. Reasons for the players to being everything they have for every minute of every game and reasons for folks like us to be in the seats watching this unprecedented passion play unfold.
    Agree that the current format is fine. If you finish 9th in your league and barely miss the NCAA Tournament, that's your fault.

Leave a comment:

• Split-N
    replied

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
    Sean, as the keeper of all knowledge of college hockey, please help me out with a question about the configuration of the "old" Boston Arena. I vaguely recall that at one time, the rink was somewhat egg shaped, with virtually no corners. I'm going back to the late 60's IIRC. Am I correct?
    Absolutely, positively correct. Also almost no backboards and wire fencing above the boards until glass finally came along in the late '60s or early '70s. Shooting the puck to a particular sport on the boards to get a rebound that would set up a clear shot on goal was a skill that was coached and drilled into players of that era.

Leave a comment:

• RENCEB
    replied

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    And you may joke about it, but back when everyone played at Boston Arena.........Sean
    Sean, as the keeper of all knowledge of college hockey, please help me out with a question about the configuration of the "old" Boston Arena. I vaguely recall that at one time, the rink was somewhat egg shaped, with virtually no corners. I'm going back to the late 60's IIRC. Am I correct?

Leave a comment:

• Split-N
    replied

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
    ...Perhaps the Atlantic Hockey format of giving 5 byes and having 6,7,8 host 9,10,11 would have been a better decision.
    Respectfully disagree. This is the "Everyone Gets a Trophy" mentality at its worst. Yes, a good team is going to get left out in the cold but the drama that is now playing out in the standings give meaning and purpose to the regular season. Reasons for the players to being everything they have for every minute of every game and reasons for folks like us to be in the seats watching this unprecedented passion play unfold.

Leave a comment:

• TheRevengeance
    replied

We've done that format a few times, but it really screws over the 5 seed nationally if they're on the bubble (2014 Nottheastern probably makes the NCAA tournament if they finish 6th instead of 5th because they get to rack up extra playoff wins, I believe that was the same year Vermont finished 8th in Hockey East and qualified over them)

Leave a comment:

• BC/HE
    replied

When they originally put in the current playoff format it seemed reasonable to leave out the bottom tier teams but this year someone capable of beating anyone else will be left out. Is it possible to see a team finish 9th, not make the HEA playoffs, and still make the NCAA tournament? I think so if the 6th through 9th teams keep on winning. Perhaps the Atlantic Hockey format of giving 5 byes and having 6,7,8 host 9,10,11 would have been a better decision.

Leave a comment:

• sameoldfury
    replied

Now I got:

-----Pts---Max---Potential
    -----------------------HOME ICE--------------------------------
    ------------------------Playoffs----------------------------------
    BC 24 36 1-9
    UMA 24 34 1-9
    BU 23 33 1-9
    UML 22 34 1-9
    UM 22 30 1-9
    NU 21 33 1-9
    PC 21 29 1-9
    UC 20 30 1-9
    UNH 19 27 1-9
    ------------------------OUT----------------------------------------
    MC 13 19 10
    UVM 3 13 11

Leave a comment:

• Sean Pickett
    replied

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    HEA tiebreakers are reasonably straightforward. Once we are at the end it wont be that bad to figure out.
    Except for multi-way ties in which case "If more than two teams finish in a tie, the same criteria will be applied to reduce the number of teams tied, and then the process will commence again. In the event that teams have an uneven amount of games against other opponents in a three-way (or more) tie, winning percentage will be the tiebreaker." However, some years the league dropped the last team and then reapplied the tiebreakers , until the last remaining team got the highest seed and some years they just took the best team and gave it the highest seed and then reapplied the tiebreakers until the last remaining team got the lowest seed. Todd showed one year that how you applied the multi-way tiebreakers changed the seedings.

Sean

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

HEA tiebreakers are reasonably straightforward. Once we are at the end it wont be that bad to figure out.

The tough thing would be to do the write out of scenarios if it remains this tight to the last weekend of the season.

Leave a comment:

• sameoldfury
    replied

Like I said.. I'm too lazy to do the full analysis

Leave a comment:

• brassbonanza
    replied

Originally posted by sameoldfury View Post
    I miss that old post, I forget who used to do it.
    Todd! I can't imagine the back and forths he'd have with the Hockey East office trying to determine tiebreakers this season.

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied

I don't get into the weeds with the analysis but this is what I have:

Pts Max Possible end rank
    UMA 24 34 1-9
    UML 22 34 1-9
    BC 22 36 1-9
    BU 21 33 1-10
    UM 20 30 1-10
    UC 20 32 1-10
    NU 19 33 1-10
    UNH 19 29 1-10
    PC 19 29 1-10
    MC 13 21 4-11
    UVM 3 15 10-11

For instance, UMA probably can't finish 9th given the match ups of the teams below there probably aren't enough points to go around, I'm too lazy to do that much work. So instead, I base my possibilities strictly on each team's current points and maximum possible points.

It is highly unlikely but UMA can in fact still finish 9th. With the various tiebreakers and the remaining schedule, I can't get Merrimack higher than 7th.

Leave a comment:

• ScottK
    replied

I don't get into the weeds with the analysis but this is what I have:

Pts Max Possible end rank
    UMA 24 34 1-9
    UML 22 34 1-9
    BC 22 36 1-9
    BU 21 33 1-10
    UM 20 30 1-10
    UC 20 32 1-10
    NU 19 33 1-10
    UNH 19 29 1-10
    PC 19 29 1-10
    MC 13 21 4-11
    UVM 3 15 10-11

For instance, UMA probably can't finish 9th given the match ups of the teams below there probably aren't enough points to go around, I'm too lazy to do that much work. So instead, I base my possibilities strictly on each team's current points and maximum possible points.

Actually, Merrimack can't finish higher than 5th, they are out of the home ice race. While they could still technically catch BU, either UConn or Maine will be out of reach of them after tonight. They could be eliminated from the playoffs altogether tonight if certain games go the wrong way for them.

Nobody has clinched a playoff spot yet, and nobody will tonight.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X