Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

When they originally put in the current playoff format it seemed reasonable to leave out the bottom tier teams but this year someone capable of beating anyone else will be left out. Is it possible to see a team finish 9th, not make the HEA playoffs, and still make the NCAA tournament? I think so if the 6th through 9th teams keep on winning. Perhaps the Atlantic Hockey format of giving 5 byes and having 6,7,8 host 9,10,11 would have been a better decision.

Comment

We've done that format a few times, but it really screws over the 5 seed nationally if they're on the bubble (2014 Nottheastern probably makes the NCAA tournament if they finish 6th instead of 5th because they get to rack up extra playoff wins, I believe that was the same year Vermont finished 8th in Hockey East and qualified over them)

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
        ...Perhaps the Atlantic Hockey format of giving 5 byes and having 6,7,8 host 9,10,11 would have been a better decision.
        Respectfully disagree. This is the "Everyone Gets a Trophy" mentality at its worst. Yes, a good team is going to get left out in the cold but the drama that is now playing out in the standings give meaning and purpose to the regular season. Reasons for the players to being everything they have for every minute of every game and reasons for folks like us to be in the seats watching this unprecedented passion play unfold.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          And you may joke about it, but back when everyone played at Boston Arena.........Sean
          Sean, as the keeper of all knowledge of college hockey, please help me out with a question about the configuration of the "old" Boston Arena. I vaguely recall that at one time, the rink was somewhat egg shaped, with virtually no corners. I'm going back to the late 60's IIRC. Am I correct?
          Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
            Sean, as the keeper of all knowledge of college hockey, please help me out with a question about the configuration of the "old" Boston Arena. I vaguely recall that at one time, the rink was somewhat egg shaped, with virtually no corners. I'm going back to the late 60's IIRC. Am I correct?
            Absolutely, positively correct. Also almost no backboards and wire fencing above the boards until glass finally came along in the late '60s or early '70s. Shooting the puck to a particular sport on the boards to get a rebound that would set up a clear shot on goal was a skill that was coached and drilled into players of that era.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              Respectfully disagree. This is the "Everyone Gets a Trophy" mentality at its worst. Yes, a good team is going to get left out in the cold but the drama that is now playing out in the standings give meaning and purpose to the regular season. Reasons for the players to being everything they have for every minute of every game and reasons for folks like us to be in the seats watching this unprecedented passion play unfold.
              Agree that the current format is fine. If you finish 9th in your league and barely miss the NCAA Tournament, that's your fault.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Nobody, not even UVM fans, needs to see the Catamounts in the playoffs.

On top of that, the battle for the #8 spot should come right down to the wire. Granted there will actually be a decent team that finishes 9th this year but I couldn't care less. The coach won't be happy but I think it's great. Adds more value to the regular season.

Finally, probably not feasible but give me more afternoon games. Tough to come back after a night game but use Sunday afternoons as a time slot. Really wish they would explore that.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

On top of that, the battle for the #8 spot should come right down to the wire. Granted there will actually be a decent team that finishes 9th this year but I couldn't care less. The coach won't be happy but I think it's great. Adds more value to the regular season.

Finally, probably not feasible but give me more afternoon games. Tough to come back after a night game but use Sunday afternoons as a time slot. Really wish they would explore that.
                  Agree, would also appreciate more afternoon games.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

75% of the Sundays during the season directly conflict with the NFL - not a chance it happens then. Late afternoon Saturday games are a much better option.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

True, I guess try and utilize the Sundays post SB then. And incorporate Saturday afternoons when you can. Is it really too difficult to see more Friday night, late Saturday afternoon series' like BC and Merrimack just had? Start at 5:30 if you want. Just a thought.

Comment

Wouldn't this be fun?
                        nightmare-scenario

Comment

Originally posted by palmettofriar View Post
                          Agree, would also appreciate more afternoon games.
                          Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                          75% of the Sundays during the season directly conflict with the NFL - not a chance it happens then. Late afternoon Saturday games are a much better option.
                          True, I guess try and utilize the Sundays post SB then. And incorporate Saturday afternoons when you can. Is it really too difficult to see more Friday night, late Saturday afternoon series' like BC and Merrimack just had? Start at 5:30 if you want. Just a thought.
                          Back in 2015-16, after getting numerous requests for more afternoon games, BU scheduled 5 Saturday games for 4:00 PM starts, while 5 other Saturday games were scheduled for 7:00 PM starts. Maybe an issue was they scheduled most of the afternoon games in the fall and not the winter, but between attendance and feedback they received BU stopped scheduling Saturday afternoon games. Here are the reported attendance numbers:
                          Saturday at 4 PM
                          5 games, 21,559 total, 4,312 average, 4,199 median
                          Saturday at 7 PM
                          5 games, 27,094 total, 5,419 avereage, 5,515 median

As can be seen the 7 PM games averaged almost 1,100 higher than the 4 PM games and the median difference was even wider; over 1,300 higher. There was discussion about the 4 PM games on the Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st as differing views were given.

Sean
                          Last edited by Sean Pickett; 02-17-2020, 12:09 AM.
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            Wouldn't this be fun?
                            nightmare-scenario
                            Talk about everybody gets a trophy! Are teams listed in order of tiebreaker?
                            #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                              Talk about everybody gets a trophy! Are teams listed in order of tiebreaker?
                              No, it is random. I am not going to try to figure out the tiebreakers.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                Wouldn't this be fun?
                                nightmare-scenario
                                Can only imagine the Lowell Sun headline the following morning.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X