Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    IMHO, Hockey East will seek to affiliate with America East when the NCHC seeks to affiliate with the Horizon League. BOOM.
    The Summit League would be more likely ( ... think: UND, DU, UNO ... ).
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
      Forget this bus league proposition, look to the future and make it a public transportation league. Drop UMass and UConn and add in Holy Cross and Bentley. UML and Merrimack would not qualify because there is a 1 hour travel limit and Providence throws them out.
      The Lowell train takes 50 minutes and the Worcester train takes 90 minutes. What are you even talking about

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post
        The Lowell train takes 50 minutes and the Worcester train takes 90 minutes. What are you even talking about
        Lowell from Boston is ok but Lowell to Providence is too long even by car so that is where Lowell is over an hour away. Boston to Worcester and Worcester to Providence are within the hour if going by car but you can still go by train and use public transportation if you want a long ride and bus from Worcester to Providence is under an hour too. This is turning out way more complicated than intended. Maybe we should just petition the NCAA for a 4 team walking league.

Comment

• Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
          Lowell from Boston is ok but Lowell to Providence is too long even by car so that is where Lowell is over an hour away. Boston to Worcester and Worcester to Providence are within the hour if going by car but you can still go by train and use public transportation if you want a long ride and bus from Worcester to Providence is under an hour too. This is turning out way more complicated than intended. Maybe we should just petition the NCAA for a 4 team walking league.
          Not to mention that city to city also depends on what locations you are using. You can walk to the DCU Center from the Worcester train station, as well as from Back Bay to Matthews, in a few minutes, but from Conte, Agganis or Schneider you would need to take the subway or a bus, which would add time.

Also, I don’t believe any public transit buses run between Boston and Worcester, so you would have to take the train. BTW, BU used to take the train to UNH in the thirties. One year the game ended in a tie without overtime as BU had to catch the train back to Boston.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Please understand a westerner like me looks at "90 minutes" and chuckles. I have just under 90 minutes one way by car to watch a home game at The Ralph (and I have season tickets).

Mariucci (UMn) to National Hockey Center (SCSU) is 90 minutes and that's the closest to Evil Goldie's house.

90 minutes indeed.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
              Please understand a westerner like me looks at "90 minutes" and chuckles. I have just under 90 minutes one way by car to watch a home game at The Ralph (and I have season tickets).

Mariucci (UMn) to National Hockey Center (SCSU) is 90 minutes and that's the closest to Evil Goldie's house.

90 minutes indeed.
              Please understand someone from California looks at "westerner like me" and chuckles.

Comment

This time of the season someone used to run weekly probabilities of HEA end of regular season standings. With only 5 points separating one through nine, this end season's probabilities would be interesting to see.

Comment

I don't get into the weeds with the analysis but this is what I have:

Pts Max Possible end rank
                  -----------------------HOME ICE--------------------------------
                  ------------------------Playoffs----------------------------------
                  UMA 24 34 1-9
                  UML 22 34 1-9
                  BC 22 36 1-9
                  BU 21 33 1-10
                  UM 20 30 1-10
                  UC 20 32 1-10
                  NU 19 33 1-10
                  UNH 19 29 1-10
                  PC 19 29 1-10
                  MC 13 21 4-11
                  ------------------------OUT----------------------------------------
                  UVM 3 15 10-11

For instance, UMA probably can't finish 9th given the match ups of the teams below there probably aren't enough points to go around, I'm too lazy to do that much work. So instead, I base my possibilities strictly on each team's current points and maximum possible points.

I miss that old post, I forget who used to do it.
                  Last edited by sameoldfury; 02-15-2020, 10:59 AM.
                  Originally posted by owslachief
                  Furthermore, here are the best predictors of particular leagues:

Hockey East (9 points) ... sameoldfury

Comment

Originally posted by sameoldfury View Post

UMA 24 34 1-9
                    UML 22 34 1-9
                    BC 22 36 1-9
                    BU 21 33 1-10
                    UM 20 30 1-10
                    UC 20 32 1-10
                    NU 19 33 1-10
                    UNH 19 29 1-10
                    PC 19 29 1-10
                    MC 13 21 4-11
                    UVM 3 15 10-11

For instance, UMA probably can't finish 9th given the match ups of the teams below there probably aren't enough points to go around, I'm too lazy to do that much work. So instead, I base my possibilities strictly on each team's current points and maximum possible points.

Actually, Merrimack can't finish higher than 5th, they are out of the home ice race. While they could still technically catch BU, either UConn or Maine will be out of reach of them after tonight. They could be eliminated from the playoffs altogether tonight if certain games go the wrong way for them.

Nobody has clinched a playoff spot yet, and nobody will tonight.
                    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

UMA 24 34 1-9
                      UML 22 34 1-9
                      BC 22 36 1-9
                      BU 21 33 1-10
                      UM 20 30 1-10
                      UC 20 32 1-10
                      NU 19 33 1-10
                      UNH 19 29 1-10
                      PC 19 29 1-10
                      MC 13 21 4-11
                      UVM 3 15 10-11

It is highly unlikely but UMA can in fact still finish 9th. With the various tiebreakers and the remaining schedule, I can't get Merrimack higher than 7th.

Comment

Todd! I can't imagine the back and forths he'd have with the Hockey East office trying to determine tiebreakers this season.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Like I said.. I'm too lazy to do the full analysis

Comment

HEA tiebreakers are reasonably straightforward. Once we are at the end it wont be that bad to figure out.

The tough thing would be to do the write out of scenarios if it remains this tight to the last weekend of the season.
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              HEA tiebreakers are reasonably straightforward. Once we are at the end it wont be that bad to figure out.
                              Except for multi-way ties in which case "If more than two teams finish in a tie, the same criteria will be applied to reduce the number of teams tied, and then the process will commence again. In the event that teams have an uneven amount of games against other opponents in a three-way (or more) tie, winning percentage will be the tiebreaker." However, some years the league dropped the last team and then reapplied the tiebreakers , until the last remaining team got the highest seed and some years they just took the best team and gave it the highest seed and then reapplied the tiebreakers until the last remaining team got the lowest seed. Todd showed one year that how you applied the multi-way tiebreakers changed the seedings.

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Now I got:

-----Pts---Max---Potential
                                BC 24 36 1-9
                                UMA 24 34 1-9
                                BU 23 33 1-9
                                UML 22 34 1-9
                                UM 22 30 1-9
                                NU 21 33 1-9
                                PC 21 29 1-9
                                UC 20 30 1-9
                                UNH 19 27 1-9
                                MC 13 19 10
                                UVM 3 13 11

Comment

Working...
                                X