Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    I think they tend to put the cart before the horse. Your post mentions a lot of the symptoms these types create.

As you said, "chasing dollars"... these people are constantly looking to increase revenue, create revenue streams, project revenue streams to make their power points presentations look good. Numbers, numbers, metrics, metrics, etc. How can I make our annual report look good?! Milk ever last dollar out that they can... it alienates the fans and in our case, we're talking about a small but rabid base in a niche sport. But these types are doing this stuff all over the place and the results are generally very sad.

Let the NCHC do their thing. Let the B1G do their thing. Let's keep doing our thing - we have a great league of New England schools in a good/solid recruiting area for the sport, all fairly close as a "bus league" compared to other leagues, and a nice central location for our conference tournament annually (and generally speaking even great locations for our schools in the regionals most years!). If there is a small way to improve it - provided it is feasible and the rising tide lifts all boats, then go for it. Otherwise, nothing is broken here and there is nothing to fix.
    See I think it is the opposite. I think they realize there isn't a big money cannon out there. No big TV deal is coming for Hockey East. The rights fees for online broadcasts aren't going to break the bank. And, if Hockey East is going to bring in not much money for its product, why does it make sense to pay for a separate administration of Hockey East when there's already an administration set up for America East?

I look at this as a cost-saving move, and not a move intended to raise revenues.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      That's why I think if these rumors are true it's being driven by a woe is me we can't compete with the big boys mentality. Would be nice to know who is pushing this.
      My guess - mainly the 3 Hockey East schools north of Massachusetts.....

Comment

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
        I have to assume the 4 schools who are currently in America East would all be in favor. UNH UVM Maine and UML. I could see it getting support from Merrimack too. But the other six I don't think would be in favor of this, especially not BU who had a messy divorce with America East.

Comment

My bigger fear is does this lead to another WCHA situation where a group of schools say "F-you" to the others and just branch off. You need six but BC, BU, PC, UConn, NU and UMass are "power" schools (in terms of HE) and that's 6 right there.

Comment

Agree, it would be an upgrade for UVM. I think America East is fine for UVM, except in basketball, where I wish they were in a better conference. Frankly, I don't see this happening, so it's gonna be a moot point shortly.

Comment

What makes little sense here is that if the 4 AE schools pushed this and the other 7 didn't want to do this, that group could break off and reform their own conference with little effort. Or, if the top programs of those 7 wanted to go to an existing conference, they'd have a new home in about 15 minutes.

This appears to be an incredibly risky move for those 4 schools with very little potential return.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

As a fan, I don't need a huge national TV deal like the NCHC has. I am perfectly fine with what they are doing this year. The # of games on TV has been a massive step forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Groot View Post
                  My bigger fear is does this lead to another WCHA situation where a group of schools say "F-you" to the others and just branch off. You need six but BC, BU, PC, UConn, NU and UMass are "power" schools (in terms of HE) and that's 6 right there.
                  I think they would want Maine and UNH too.

Anyone know what the league budget is? I can’t imagine it’s more than a half a million dollars and when you divide that 11 ways it doesn’t move the needle much for each school.

It’s sad the situation with college sports in New England now versus 20 years ago. Other than Merrimack and Lowell it seems like all the other schools have moved backwards.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Anyone know what the league budget is? I can’t imagine it’s more than a half a million dollars and when you divide that 11 ways it doesn’t move the needle much for each school.

It’s sad the situation with college sports in New England now versus 20 years ago. Other than Merrimack and Lowell it seems like all the other schools have moved backwards.
                    PC basketball is still the pro sport in the city and packing the building but besides that lots of empty buildings throughout New England in all sports.
                    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

What's the big deal? America East is simply pushing to administer the conference under the America East banner. There are currently 4 AE schools in Hockey East.....along with 1 ACC, 1 Big East, 1 AAC, 1 NEC, 1 A-10, 1 Patriot & 1 CAA. Anyone see why AE & the AE ADs are pushing for this? Why not? Hockey East administration has been a dinosaur for the last 5 years in marketing the conference and social media presence. Maybe it's time for some new blood to run things.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                        What's the big deal? America East is simply pushing to administer the conference under the America East banner. There are currently 4 AE schools in Hockey East.....along with 1 ACC, 1 Big East, 1 AAC, 1 NEC, 1 A-10, 1 Patriot & 1 CAA. Anyone see why AE & the AE ADs are pushing for this? Why not? Hockey East administration has been a dinosaur for the last 5 years in marketing the conference and social media presence. Maybe it's time for some new blood to run things.
                        we would be better off with nescac. but thanks
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          Why?

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            we would be better off with nescac. but thanks
                            Do you want a cookie, mookie?

Comment

Do Hockey East member institutions pay an annual fee of some sort to help fund the league office's operating expenses? I assume they get all of the revenue from the tournament ticket sales but not sure if that is enough (do they need to pay to rent out the Boston Garden for two nights?).
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

CHN published an update on commissioner search and this America East situation:
                                https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...For-Hockey.php

I'm embarrassed to say it looks like Lowell was the school pushing for this. Sounds like it wasn't well received and nothing will come of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X