X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.D.
    replied
    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

I didn't realize the coaches want to add back that first round of playoffs though. Whoever finishes 9th this year will be calling for it.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

I meant the RS schedule being more wonky than other leagues. Unbalanced because ND left but just in terms of playing random Tuesday/Thursday night games etc. UConn and BC arena situations play into that.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

That's fair. I wonder how ECAC fans feel about the format. Maybe it's the only format that makes sense for them. Anyway, really hoping that Metcalf can lead the way in adding a 12th team. I know York has mentioned it a few times. Would be nice to get back to a balanced schedule and then it seems like they would go back to all teams qualifying for tournament (not that I really care about that).

Leave a comment:

• TheRevengeance
    replied

The Hockey East schedule is messed up because they messed up the transition plan when they removed the first round and presumably never fixed it because the coaches want to add said round back.

The travel partner thing probably hurts more than it helps, nobody wants to go somewhere else then Maine the same weekend, that's why they're already on a different schedule than everyone else as it is. Everyone else is a day trip and I prefer having my home games over the course of the whole year rather than 2 at a time on exactly 5 weekends. (For the initial travel partner schedule before accounting for playing against your partner or the Hockey East unbalanced schedule)

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

I would imagine the Big Ten is pushing its members about an 8th team. So odd when on the final night of regular season you have one team not playing. Same for Hockey East. Only two games on the final day of RS.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

Although it's funny that Quinnipiac and Yale are not travel partners considering they are 15 minutes apart and Quinnipiac to Princeton is the longest trip.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

I just think it's a cool format in an even numbered league where it seems like all their games are Friday/Saturday night. The Hockey East schedule is a little more wonky with arena conflicts etc. You're right though that it's more of a necessity in the ECAC.

Leave a comment:

• The Zlax45
    replied

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    One thing I have always kinda liked in the ECAC is the whole travel partner thing. If Sacred Heart is currently the most logical choice to be 12th team, you could have:

Maine-UNH
    UVM-UMass
    UML-MC
    UConn-SH
    PC-BC
    BU-NU

Longest trip would be roughly 3h 10m for both the Maine/UNH and UVM/UMass combos. Longest trip between travel partners in ECAC is 2h 25m between Quinnipiac and Princeton.

Would probably never happen when you factor in arena availability but if 2:25 is doable in ECAC, 3:10 wouldn't seem impossible.
    In theory, you could put UMass, UML, MC, UConn, SH, PC, BC, BU and NU all into a blender and they would all be good enough travel partners with each other.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

One thing I have always kinda liked in the ECAC is the whole travel partner thing. If Sacred Heart is currently the most logical choice to be 12th team, you could have:

Maine-UNH
    UVM-UMass
    UML-MC
    UConn-SH
    PC-BC
    BU-NU

Longest trip would be roughly 3h 10m for both the Maine/UNH and UVM/UMass combos. Longest trip between travel partners in ECAC is 2h 25m between Quinnipiac and Princeton.

Would probably never happen when you factor in arena availability but if 2:25 is doable in ECAC, 3:10 wouldn't seem impossible.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied
    Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
    I live in Albany and have heard absolutely nothing about DI hockey from UAlbany, or any SUNY school for that matter. I doubt Albany sees value in hockey--given two other DI hockey programs within a 15 minute drive from campus (Union and RPI)--over trying to build more successful basketball and football programs, where the money is locally. Hockey is a niche sport, whether we like it or not; another Albany area DI school, Siena, usually draws a larger crowd for a regular season basketball game at the Times Union Center than the Mayor's Cup hockey game between RPI and Union at the same venue.
    This is about what I expected the answer to be.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

Only way Holy Cross gets men's team in is if they commit to a new rink. Don't see anyway HE would let them in with the idea of playing at DCU center. Crowds would be abysmal for that size building.

Leave a comment:

• DavidNardolillo
    replied

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    If we're talking about NY, I'd much rather see Syracuse. Already with a women's program plus a sizeable fan base and alums spread throughout the northeast. (Not holding my breath.)
    Adding a men's hockey team at Syracuse will create a Title IX issue requiring the addition of another women's sport, or cutting another men's sport. Plus, I think the word on the street is that Syracuse is more interesting in becoming better at football than in adding new sports.

Edit: Syracuse is also the only ACC team without a baseball program. Not sure how adding a sport outside of baseball would go over with the ACC.
    Last edited by DavidNardolillo; 02-17-2020, 08:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DavidNardolillo
    replied

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
    Only other prominent schools that fit the footprint are of course those other 4 already mentioned, RPI, Holy Cross, URI and Quinnipiac. But how about the possibility of a D1 program in Hockey for MIT, Brandeis, Tufts or Clark. All top 100 Universities that could use a name brand sport besides swimming or track and field.
    RPI is already accused of not investing in its hockey programs as it is.

Zero chance of the Division III schools mentioned unless a huge donor materializes. Just not the right fiscal environment for small private schools to go Division I at this time. I think MIT has no interest in Division I sports and seems very content competing in the NEWMAC. Plus I don't think Tufts would want to leave NESCAC, as it surely would be forced to do if it elevated hockey to Division I hockey (see Union's exit from NESCAC many years ago).

Leave a comment:

• DavidNardolillo
    replied

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Likeā€¦ has anyone at URI, Stony Brook or Albany ever actually done anything to fuel the rumors? Do their club teams draw more than 1000/game? Is there even a realistic arena in play for any of them?
    I live in Albany and have heard absolutely nothing about DI hockey from UAlbany, or any SUNY school for that matter. I doubt Albany sees value in hockey--given two other DI hockey programs within a 15 minute drive from campus (Union and RPI)--over trying to build more successful basketball and football programs, where the money is locally. Hockey is a niche sport, whether we like it or not; another Albany area DI school, Siena, usually draws a larger crowd for a regular season basketball game at the Times Union Center than the Mayor's Cup hockey game between RPI and Union at the same venue.

Leave a comment:

• Split-N
    replied

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    A guy who has been at UNH forever, during Bertagna's tenure, is going to be drastically different? I am skeptical but we'll see if he brings anything new to the table.
    I wouldn't know the man if we bumped up against each other at the Black Rose. But at least he knows hockey and his chairmanship of the D1 Committee carries some weight. So I'm offering my congratulations and best wishes. And yeah, I'm thanking Joe for his tenure too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X