Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    ...I assure you millennials really really really do suck. And I'd like to point out these young, whiny, dumb people that cannot put their phones down are NOT special; we had significant student debt too we just didn't whine about it like crybabies for attention and worked to pay it off because we had a sense of responsibility to pay it off rather than having a completely unfounded sense of entitlement. And while people my age now displace a grumpy generation of baby boomers, we respect the path they paved and carry that torch to some degree.... just with things like Excel and not an abacus.
    I absolutely can't believe I agree with everything in a NickP post. The end times surely are upon us. (Now on the lookout for four guys on horseback.)

    Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    What did millennials do to mayonnaise?
    Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    No longer a preferred condiment. We love our avocados on everything...
    Avocados = green slime.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

      Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      Well...he DID accept Notre Dame, so...
      No, the Board of Directors accepted Notre Dame. If one assumes that the Board is composed of the ADs for each school there has been a lot of turnover since 2011. Only 2 of the ADs who would have voted on accepting Notre Dame are still the AD of their school. The other schools have new ADs and of course, Connecticut was not a member of Hockey East at that time.

      Looking at each school's AD turnover shows that may have played a part in Joe's contract not being extended. Although only 4 new ADs have been appointed since Joe's last contract extension, 9 (plus Holy Cross on the women's side) are new in the last six years, with only 2 having been ADs for most of Joe's tenure.

      Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

      BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        Boy there's a whole lot of truth on this thread. Greg basically unloaded a truth bomb from the Enola Gay.

        The glory days are over for us here in HE and all of college hockey. And while it has little to do with the hockey discussion, I assure you millennials really really really do suck. And I'd like to point out these young, whiny, dumb people that cannot put their phones down are NOT special; we had significant student debt too we just didn't whine about it like crybabies for attention and worked to pay it off because we had a sense of responsibility to pay it off rather than having a completely unfounded sense of entitlement. And while people my age now displace a grumpy generation of baby boomers, we respect the path they paved and carry that torch to some degree.... just with things like Excel and not an abacus.
        Why are we focusing on Millennials, none of them are in college anymore and the oldest are about to turn 40. Generation Z are today's college students who should be attending.
        Northeastern Huskies

        Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
        Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by DLG View Post
          The hockey east tourney at the garden is still a strong event
          Attendance has been in 12-13 thousand range for a few years now
          Not the glory years but no need to go back to smaller campus sites
          Measles anyone?

          Could the demise of the community model in Mass Hockey be part of the problem?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

          ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

          Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

          I want to live forever. So far, so good.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
            Why are we focusing on Millennials, none of them are in college anymore and the oldest are about to turn 40. Generation Z are today's college students who should be attending.
            Because it's trendy to blame Millennials for everything.

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              Boy there's a whole lot of truth on this thread. Greg basically unloaded a truth bomb from the Enola Gay.

              The glory days are over for us here in HE and all of college hockey. And while it has little to do with the hockey discussion, I assure you millennials really really really do suck. And I'd like to point out these young, whiny, dumb people that cannot put their phones down are NOT special; we had significant student debt too we just didn't whine about it like crybabies for attention and worked to pay it off because we had a sense of responsibility to pay it off rather than having a completely unfounded sense of entitlement. And while people my age now displace a grumpy generation of baby boomers, we respect the path they paved and carry that torch to some degree.... just with things like Excel and not an abacus.
              Maybe it's because the Baby Boomers came of age in the greatest economy in history and it was still pretty strong when we came of age and then it all came crashing down for them. The job market is trash, wages haven't changed in years, housing exploded and the world is literally on fire. But yeah, it's because the Millennials are whiny brats.

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

                Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                Maybe it's because the Baby Boomers came of age in the greatest economy in history and it was still pretty strong when we came of age and then it all came crashing down for them. The job market is trash, wages haven't changed in years, housing exploded and the world is literally on fire. But yeah, it's because the Millennials are whiny brats.
                then how did they all have $$,$$$ for tickets to see fyre festival?!?! wah wah wah
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

                  Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  … and the world is literally on fire.
                  Fake news.
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

                    Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    The job market is trash
                    Are you serious? It has never been so easy to get a job. They change jobs more often than we change hockey sticks.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

                      Originally posted by woodenskates View Post
                      Are you serious? It has never been so easy to get a job. They change jobs more often than we change hockey sticks.
                      Yes, I am serious. Sure, there are plenty of minimum wage (or slightly better) jobs but there isn't a single county in this country where you can get an apartment on minimum wage. In most places you would have to work two jobs and find a roommate who also works two jobs. The American Dream!

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

                        Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                        Why are we focusing on Millennials, none of them are in college anymore and the oldest are about to turn 40. Generation Z are today's college students who should be attending.
                        It's true that Millennials aren't in college anymore. Some have moved on to productive careers but too many have just moved on to their parents' basement. And the GenZs are even more indifferent to competitive sports than the Millennials were.

                        Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                        ...The job market is trash, wages haven't changed in years...
                        Which job market are you talking about? Lower Skumbovia maybe? The jobless rate in the US is at or near an all-time low and wages have been trending up, even for lower-level hourly jobs. The high-paying jobs are there for those who want to put in the time and effort to earn a degree in a field that's relevant to the 21st Century, and then put in the time and effort to become valued and move up the economic ladder. I've lost count of the number recent (last 5 years) grads whom I personally know and who are thriving both professionally and financially. I also know another who still has his senior year ahead of him and already has a six-figure offer on the table.

                        The world is what you make of it and nobody is automatically entitled to the "the good life." It's there for the taking but you have to do something to earn it besides whine
                        Last edited by Split-N; 07-29-2019, 10:12 AM.
                        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

                          It's hard to see why college and young professional-aged people wouldn't leap at the chance to join a welcoming community of open-minded individuals like this one.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

                            Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                            It's hard to see why college and young professional-aged people wouldn't leap at the chance to join a welcoming community of open-minded individuals like this one.
                            Good point. Better we enable their sensitive natures and lack of ambition in comfy safe spaces.
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

                              Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              Good point. Better we enable their sensitive natures and lack of ambition in comfy safe spaces.
                              We could look at the parents who gave them safe spaces and participation trophies instead of teaching them coping skills. Nah! It's easier just to mock them.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                                18,113 in Minnesota was the 2018 NCAA Volleyball Championship Final in the Timerwolves Arena

                                2018 NCAA Ice Hockey final also in Minnesota drew 18,303 in the Wild Building

                                Some crazy close comparisons between the sports...but hockey attendance overall is much higher
                                The St. Paul FF had UMD. With no home team in Buffalo, the games did not sell out. I will also remind Watcher that “lowering student ticket prices” actually means “lowering the student athletic fee.” And that’s not going to happen. There are approximately 14,000 undergraduates at UNH. Every last one of them, from the guy who mans the cowbell to the computer science geek who spends 18 hours day at the lab, pays that fee, which is north of a $1,000 per semester. UNH, or any other school, is not going to give that money,,or a portion of it, up.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X