• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darius
    replied
    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    ...Like a, y'know, real journalist?...
    Plan B if your HEA commish bid falls short? Get in there, Dude!
    Last edited by Darius; 08-06-2019, 10:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tape
    replied

Originally posted by therevengeance View Post
    since being paid isn't a requirement and this is all so easy, i dont know why you guys don't just call the schools, ask the questions, and write the report yourselves?
    ^^^

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied
    Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
    Since being paid isn't a requirement and this is all so easy, I dont know why you guys don't just call the schools, ask the questions, and write the report yourselves?
    Seriously

Leave a comment:

• TheRevengeance
    replied

Since being paid isn't a requirement and this is all so easy, I dont know why you guys don't just call the schools, ask the questions, and write the report yourselves?

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
    I should change my name to "Chuck Murray Fan Club" ... what a silly remark. "21st century journalism for you" - as if these sites aren't basically volunteer efforts, and as if we are trying to solve world peace here or something. My goodness. A commissioner of a hockey league is not being renewed. Stop making it sound like it's so friggin mysterious that it requires Woodward and Bernstein.
    I didn't realize getting paid was a prerequisite for being able to ask penetrating questions.

Like a, y'know, real journalist? I guess some of us just aren't the inquisitive, curious types, and are content to just suck down a convenient narrative, or will happily settle for a superficial pass at a story that bypasses those uncomfortable queries about "why" or "who" or "what" or "when" etc. Whatever floats your boat, SFC.

Bertagna has been running a D-1 league for 20+ years, and was even deemed "legendary" by one of the so-called reporters of the story. The "story" then skips all of those nagging "W's" they teach you to ask in journalism class (or at least they used to teach it) and focuses on 10 folks the reporter believes are in line as the possible successor. If you're one of those few folks in the running, or you're part of that cloistered network of insiders, then I'm sure you loved the story. But I'm willing to bet that more of us who are outside that bubble are more interested in gaining some insight into the "why's" and the "who's" of the decision to show Joey Buttons the door.

If having the nerve to expect folks to dig a little deeper for a real story offends you, my apologies. The line for the safe spaces forms on the left, move along …

Leave a comment:

• tape
    replied

Of course there's a "story behind the story". If no one ever talks publicly about it, there's nothing to report. Y'all's metrics about what constitutes good journalism are messed up.

Leave a comment:

• Split-N
    replied

C'mon guys. There's a story behind the story that isn't being reported. How did the sentiment to not extend the contract get started in the first place? Which AD(s) was/were the prime mover(s)? How united (or not) were the ADs as a group on the final decision? Did something else other than change for it's own sake play into this? Can't believe the USCHO and CHN reporting staffs haven't been able to find anyone who can fill in at least some of the blanks.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyFanClub
    replied

I should change my name to "Chuck Murray Fan Club" ... what a silly remark. "21st century journalism for you" - as if these sites aren't basically volunteer efforts, and as if we are trying to solve world peace here or something. My goodness. A commissioner of a hockey league is not being renewed. Stop making it sound like it's so friggin mysterious that it requires Woodward and Bernstein.

Leave a comment:

• tape
    replied

I'm not sure what more you expect them to do besides ask everyone they can ask. If no one talks, that's about it! I seriously doubt there's going to be an equivalent of the Pentagon Papers that Adam or Jimmy C. or whoever can expose.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

Terrific. So all of the HE AD's get to hide behind Jeff's skirt - so to speak, I certainly don't want to offend anyone's sensitivities here - and then Jeff comes over the top with a terse "no comment" or "beyond my purview" . And no one calls him on it. Nice. That's 21st century journalism for you, right there.

Leave a comment:

• Ed Trefzger
    replied

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    Maybe I've lost something off my fastball (er...slapshot) but I can't make any sense out of this. Who is the "ADs chairman?" What was/were the comment(s). I can't recall any comments made anywhere by any AD chairman in any of the USCHO/CHN reporting.
    I was referring to UVM AD Jeff Schulman, who is the chair of Hockey East's men's executive committee.

Leave a comment:

• Split-N
    replied

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
    ...The conference's ADs have a chairman and he's the one who was designated to comment.
    Maybe I've lost something off my fastball (er...slapshot) but I can't make any sense out of this. Who is the "ADs chairman?" What was/were the comment(s). I can't recall any comments made anywhere by any AD chairman in any of the USCHO/CHN reporting.
    Last edited by Split-N; 08-04-2019, 01:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ed Trefzger
    replied

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    DD#2 has this nailed, right down to the floor. No journalism going on at USCHO or CHN.
    I can't speak on behalf of CHN, but I know they work hard to get to the root of stories like this, and if they had something, they would have published it.

When Joe's departure was announced, Jim Connelly was on the phone to a lot of people at Hockey East schools. The people he quoted in what he wrote are the ones who were willing to speak about it. The conference's ADs have a chairman and he's the one who was designated to comment.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    lesson -- see what happens when one shoots for average?
    Bingo.

Leave a comment:

• The Zlax45
    replied

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Death of local journalism killer here. The info you want is going to come from ADs or inside the schools. The people with those relationships should be the local outlets. ProJo for Providence, BDN for Maine, Free Press for Vermont, etc. Not like the Boston papers give a hoot to have someone call BC or BU AD about Joe its small potatoes to them.
    Mark Divver of the Providence Journal was let go after the season....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X