• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darius
    replied
    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    https://hockeyeastonline.com/men/art...artnership.php

So we go from basically nothing to 100 games? How is that possible?
    NESN figured out viewers will watch the same Behind the B episode only so many times?

Pretty sure these will be on campus, not NESN productions.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/arti...artnership.php

So we go from basically nothing to 100 games? How is that possible?

Leave a comment:

• Turk_Sanderson
    replied

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
    Such outdated thinking by those folks. You have to play the long con and promote the experience to attract new and lapsed fans. Not to mention interested alumni with money in their pockets who don’t have time to go to every game on account of family and work commitments. I know I’d sign up.
    We all know UNH and Maine travel well, but that is like 10-20 percent of their fanbase making trips. Yes I know it's not 1999 anymore but you gotta figure the marquee sport at both schools would alone draw in enough subscribers to make this profitable.

I try to go to as many away games as possible, but sometimes a Friday night game in Boston or especially Providence is not in the works. UVM or Maine forget it, not happening on a Friday night.

How many of these schools have alumni bases spread around the country as well? They are literally leaving money on the table at this point, I don't understand why they keep trying the same square peg in the round hole of terrestrial TV

Leave a comment:

• Yuppie Scum
    replied

Originally posted by Turk_Sanderson View Post
    I saw that and I would like to happen, seriously just take my $100 bucks now, but I think there are some schools are hesitant to do this because they think it will cost them money at the gate and have to kick in to jump start the platform.
    Such outdated thinking by those folks. You have to play the long con and promote the experience to attract new and lapsed fans. Not to mention interested alumni with money in their pockets who don’t have time to go to every game on account of family and work commitments. I know I’d sign up.

Leave a comment:

• Turk_Sanderson
    replied

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Follow up tweet, to the one Watcher posted, indicates a potential league wide streaming service a la NCHC.tv, and may just force such an investment. I’d expect this to happen as UNH - which broadcast all home games on ESPN+ last season showed zero hockey on its recently released ESPN schedule, but we shall see...
    I saw that and I would like to happen, seriously just take my $100 bucks now, but I think there are some schools are hesitant to do this because they think it will cost them money at the gate and have to kick in to jump start the platform.

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    The bigger problem is there no standardization for broadcasts because the schools are paying for them. The NESN games from Lowell are good quality, the NBCSports Boston PC games look terrible on TV. All of the schools need to make an investment to be on a singular platform, but I doubt you will see this.
    Follow up tweet, to the one Watcher posted, indicates a potential league wide streaming service a la NCHC.tv, and may just force such an investment. I’d expect this to happen as UNH - which broadcast all home games on ESPN+ last season showed zero hockey on its recently released ESPN schedule, but we shall see...

Leave a comment:

• Agganis
    replied
    The bigger problem is there no standardization for broadcasts because the schools are paying for them. The NESN games from Lowell are good quality, the NBCSports Boston PC games look terrible on TV. All of the schools need to make an investment to be on a singular platform, but I doubt you will see this.
    The ECAC streaming package on ESPN+ has had consistently good quality in my experience, but I may not have watched something from each venue.

Additionally with a $25 streaming device and an HDMI port it is extremely easy to watch on TV at cable quality.

There is always someone who complains about everything, but if HE copied this model I expect the vast majority of HE fans would be extremely happy. Like you said I'm not sure they are willing to put in this investment though.

Leave a comment:

• Turk_Sanderson
    replied

Originally posted by Darius View Post
    There is no question that streaming PC > TV is lesser quality than cable box > TV.

Leave a comment:

• Darius
    replied

****, wouldn't want that to interfere with Red Sox spring training games and Charlie Moore reruns!

You can tell me how all games are available via streaming, it's just not the same as being able to sit on the couch and watch it on tv (ya ya I know you can stream something from your computer to the tv)
    There is no question that streaming PC > TV is lesser quality than cable box > TV.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

****, wouldn't want that to interfere with Red Sox spring training games and Charlie Moore reruns!

You can tell me how all games are available via streaming, it's just not the same as being able to sit on the couch and watch it on tv (ya ya I know you can stream something from your computer to the tv)

Leave a comment:

• NCAA watcher
    replied

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    I just like making the change for the sake of changing up the Good Ole Boy network personally.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

I'm not saying I dislike this move. I just think it's misguided to be looking for some pot of gold and buck the national trend if that is the motive for making a change. I just like making the change for the sake of changing up the Good Ole Boy network personally.
    Well, the article initiating this discussion proposed a list of about 10 folks from the GOB network as the successor, so I wouldn't hold my breath on dramatic changes.

The phrase "re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" does come to mind, though ...

Leave a comment:

• Split-N
    replied

...If our ADs have an eye on the NCHC, can we get a good direct comparison to the two situations?
    Comparing the NCHC to HEA is like comparing apples to pomegranates. Both are red on the outside but that's about as far as it goes. For one thing, the NCHC programs (with the exception of Denver) are usually the only sports show in their respective towns whereas HEA teams (with the possible exceptions of Maine and Vermont) are overshadowed by a multitude of pro sports teams in an overwhelmingly pro sports-oriented area. Also, a goodly portion of the butts in the NCHC seats are townies having no formal connections to the home teams' college/university. (Not much to do in Grand Forks on a weekend night other than go to the Ralph.)

And it is a fact that the younger demographic consumes entertainment, including sports, in an entirely different way than us older fuds do. DVR and streaming is now how it's done so putting butts in the seats will be a tall order except maybe for "experiences" like the Beanpot and HEA semis and finals. All of that being said, I do believe that a clever marketing campaign targeted at that part of the general public that finds itself priced out of pro sports events (especially the B's and C's) might work. Getting to see the "stars of tomorrow" at reasonable cost just might have some appeal.

But if the mandate for the new commish is to make HEA more like the NCHC, the new guy/gal will need lots of luck.
    Last edited by Split-N; 08-14-2019, 08:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied

Back from vacation in Maine and getting caught up. So.... we're looking for more marketing and revenue? Is that what I'm reading from Ed T?

Would folks attribute marketing to equal better attendance at Hockey East rinks and/or the tournament at the Garden? Maybe something else? Attendance is dropping everywhere across all sports in part due to this television/streaming/internet thing (small tie in to revenue here). It's fairly well documented. So raising attendance is going to be a program to program thing as they have their upcycles. We're talking about a niche of a niche sport with a lot of small, private schools with little to no brand. And one of the prime marketing machines for the league are the players themselves - the Eichel's and Gaudreau's of the world that seem to be staying for shorter and shorter stints in the league - another thing trending in the wrong direction. I get the whole tv deal thing, yea you need NESN but the Bruins are on the upswing as well and this entire league is based in New England fighting against all these pro sports. As the Sox wind down, Bruins ramp up on NESN. There is room there even if Pats dominate coverage elsewhere from Sept to Jan but at what cost to the schools and what is NESN willing to provide? Is viewership worth it to NESN to produce these games (or the schools to take on the cost) rather than show a rerun of Charlie Moore fishing with Dwight Evans or Tim Wakefield? Is viewership on the television what we need to increase to get a better tv deal to better the marketing? Would locals find it more appealing if they could watch a Hockey East game and see not only the best players in the country or world but also have a tremendous local flavor? Does a team full of 25-year olds from Saskatchewan pull in the local viewer in Reading, MA?

I'm not saying I dislike this move. I just think it's misguided to be looking for some pot of gold and buck the national trend if that is the motive for making a change. I just like making the change for the sake of changing up the Good Ole Boy network personally.

If our ADs have an eye on the NCHC, can we get a good direct comparison to the two situations?
    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 08-13-2019, 09:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Murray
    replied

We shall see what happens then with this new commissioner. I'm certainly not saying it's a guarantee they will be able to do the things the schools want but at the same time I won't pretend like losing Joe Bertgana is a big deal. It isn't. It doesn't hurt to try and aim high. If they fail in that regard the league itself is very stable. There is nothing Bertagna did that can't be replaced.
    Amen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X