X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied
    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Wow... a lot to unravel here with this latest development.

Honestly, Bertagna or no Bertagna, this league is clearly losing its way going back to when we started expanding with a gd team from Indiana. I think we can all agree on that. There doesn't seem to be a great sense of alignment (even under the pretense that these are just rumors) between all institutions in this league, whether that be presidents, ADs, and the league offices itself.

One thing we constantly are hearing a lot of whining about is how we want to be more like the NCHC in regards to the "online/television platforms"... that seems to be a consistent theme of discontent. I'm no expert there so IDK what the deal is. Is it possible? Is the NCHC different than HE in that regard and they have an advantage?

College hockey used to be great. I don't know why we keep letting people ruin it. This fairly recent thing of hiring these MBA-types to run athletic departments and conferences is not a good turn of events on the whole.
    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 01-30-2020, 10:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Snively65
    replied

FWIIW, faction, or fraction? Agreed, really stupid idea. Who would ever pursue such a stupid idea...... oh, wait......

Leave a comment:

• kdiff77
    replied

I hope they just leaked this information to gauge public reaction, and will take the resounding negative response as a clear sign that this is truly an unbelievably stupid idea.

I hope.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

Jeff Schulman. Probably got the idea from Sneddon!

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

Ya I can't see the push to be under America East coming from BC who is in the ACC in other sports. Is the UVM guy leading this campaign? What is the endgame? This isn't meant to be UVM based but is it a woe is me we can't compete let's split the league up? Not getting the full picture here.

Leave a comment:

• Agganis
    replied

Originally posted by Groot View Post
    That article seems like a lot of rumor-mongering. BU's split with America East was a little sloppy right? A BU fan might be able to correct me. BC will never play under an "America East" banner. I don't think any of the bigger schools would ever do that. Anyone in a bigger conference for other sports like BC, UMass, Providence, UConn would never want to affiliate with America East. My fear would be a giant split if that happens.

America East:
    UMass Lowell
    New Hampshire
    Maine
    Vermont
    Merrimack
    ???? would need a 6th team for an autobid. Let's have fun and say Sacred Heart or Holy Cross because they are D1 schools closer to America East level or maybe Canisius, Niagara.

This America East nonsense would breakup the league.
    New Hockey East:
    UMass
    UConn
    BC
    BU
    Providence
    Northeastern
    Congratulations to the "fraction of athletic directors" trying to make the AEHC for moving their schools to a much worse situation for hockey, while leaving the non AE schools in a potentially stronger situation. This scenario would be a hilarious self own.

And yes there was a ton of animosity between BU and AE when BU left in 2013.

Leave a comment:

• Groot
    replied

That article seems like a lot of rumor-mongering. BU's split with America East was a little sloppy right? A BU fan might be able to correct me. BC will never play under an "America East" banner. I don't think any of the bigger schools would ever do that. Anyone in a bigger conference for other sports like BC, UMass, Providence, UConn would never want to affiliate with America East. My fear would be a giant split if that happens.

America East:
    UMass Lowell
    New Hampshire
    Maine
    Vermont
    Merrimack
    ???? would need a 6th team for an autobid. Let's have fun and say Sacred Heart or Holy Cross because they are D1 schools closer to America East level or maybe Canisius, Niagara.

This America East nonsense would breakup the league.
    New Hockey East:
    UMass
    UConn
    BC
    BU
    Providence
    Northeastern

Leave a comment:

• Sean Pickett
    replied

From the article: "According to multiple sources with knowledge of the process, a faction of athletic directors is trying to move the current 11-team conference away from a standalone league and into an all-sport conference."

So, how much of a faction? Four of 12? Do we know if any of the founding 5 members are for this? Do we know if the founding members gave themselves permanent veto rights?

Boston College is mentioned as possibility going to the B1G if the league broke up, but why? The B1G doesn't have a women's league so BC would then have to find a home for their women's team. Why split them up?

And why discount Holy Cross' membership in the women's league? If you do that then don't you need to do the same to UMass and UMass Lowell?

If I recall correctly one of the reasons Atlantic Hockey split from the MAAC was because the hockey only schools had no votes, or limited votes, on hockey matters, while the non-hockey playing MAAC schools had full votes. However, I'm not certain and would appreciate hearing from anyone who does know.

Sean
    Last edited by Sean Pickett; 01-30-2020, 10:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LFofF
    replied

https://www.uscho.com/2020/01/30/as-...t-be-in-peril/

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
    @jimmyconnelly: Have learned some ADs in @hockey_east favor moving away from single-sport league and having all-sport conference administrate hockey. Could be @AmericaEast or another and is far from final, but could also spell the end of Hockey East as we know it. Full story on @USCHO tomorrow.

How ****ing dumb would they have to be to do this
    guess this pushes bc to the bigten?!?!

Leave a comment:

• jjmc85
    replied

If the only thing that changes is the logo on the jerseys, it could be a good thing. Don’t all sports conferences have voting rights for rule changes and didn’t the B1G schools submit changes the rest of College Hockey couldn’t vote on?

Leave a comment:

• The Zlax45
    replied
    Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    I will still call it Hockey East

Honestly, we probably wouldn't even notice a big difference if this were to happen. But what would America East gain in doing this?
    We aren’t even sure if it America East yet but would be another sport under them and give the league more resources.

Isn’t the CHA and the new women’s hockey conference run by Atlantic Hockey?

Leave a comment:

• amkirby10
    replied

This just sounds needless and a bad idea all around, at least to me.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

I will still call it Hockey East

Honestly, we probably wouldn't even notice a big difference if this were to happen. But what would America East gain in doing this?

Leave a comment:

• The Zlax45
    replied

I just looked at the Hockey East twitter page which has very minimal original content. They basically slice up the players of the week video they get from the schools, make a video and post it. Everything else is retweets of conference teams.

https://twitter.com/hockey_east

America East on the other hand has interviews which they are taping on their own, podcasts, etc.

https://twitter.com/AmericaEast

Why is Hockey East not doing the same thing?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X