X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris_NH
    replied
    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

"Hockey East needs fixing and is in disarray," said no one ever.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    First, UConn already left the Big East, they are now in the AAC and soon to rejoin the Big East. Second, no one is asking them to leave their leagues, just to affiliate their hockey teams with America East (or another league).

Sean
    But I would be curious how the ACC would feel about BC associating its hockey team with a different all sport league. There's no reason a school like BC would want this. The current Hockey East landscape is just fine.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

The more I think about this the less sense it makes. Fans might not have liked it but Big Ten hockey made sense to me. Big schools, big brand, big money. I just don't see that with America East. And frankly I still don't really see why this would interest AE.

I thought ok maybe Merrimack is also in favor of this. They recently went D1 in hoops. But it's not like they are an independent. They are in a lesser league than AE but would they try to get an invite to AE to bump their profile?

I'm just failing to see who is supporting this from Hockey East members.

Leave a comment:

• Sean Pickett
    replied

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
    Add me to the list that this makes no sense and would never happen - nor should it.

Do you really think Boston College would leave the ACC? Providence & UConn leave the Big East? I think some folks are over estimating the power of college hockey at most schools....
    First, UConn already left the Big East, they are now in the AAC and soon to rejoin the Big East. Second, no one is asking them to leave their leagues, just to affiliate their hockey teams with America East (or another league).

Sean

Leave a comment:

• chrisP
    replied

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
    I agree with you, that's another thing that dosen't add up. I was thinking the same thing.
    Add me to the list that this makes no sense and would never happen - nor should it.

Do you really think Boston College would leave the ACC? Providence & UConn leave the Big East? I think some folks are over estimating the power of college hockey at most schools....

Leave a comment:

• Sean Pickett
    replied

Hockey East shared a commissioner with America East from 1988-1993. Hockey East's stated reason for hiring a new commissioner was that Stuart Haskell resigned as HE commissioner to devote all his time and attention to America East. If the America East commissioner had no time in 1993 for hockey why would they have time now?

Sean

Leave a comment:

• brassbonanza
    replied

I agree with you, that's another thing that dosen't add up. I was thinking the same thing.
    The whole concept here doesn't add up.

Leave a comment:

• amkirby10
    replied
    Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    Last time I looked, the NCHC was a hockey-only league. So, certain parties want to be more like the NCHC but also want to take down an equally prestigious hockey-only league? Given what we think we know, something about this doesn't compute.

Leave a comment:

• amkirby10
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    While I don’t think it changes your argument, only UNH was a founding member of Hockey East. Maine and UML were the first 2 schools to accept invitations to join the league.

Sean
    Thanks Sean, my mistake. Perhaps I should have said "have been in the conference since its formation".

Leave a comment:

• Split-N
    replied

Last time I looked, the NCHC was a hockey-only league. So, certain parties want to be more like the NCHC but also want to take down an equally prestigious hockey-only league? Given what we think we know, something about this doesn't compute.

Leave a comment:

• Sean Pickett
    replied
    I also don't see Maine as being the leader of it...and they were a founding member...and Lowell and UNH are both also founding members of HE.
    While I don’t think it changes your argument, only UNH was a founding member of Hockey East. Maine and UML were the first 2 schools to accept invitations to join the league.

Sean

Leave a comment:

• amkirby10
    replied

It seems to me like it has to be one of the AE schools that is driving this, because otherwise it wouldn't really make sense. I also don't see Maine as being the leader of it, since there's basically no other realistic conference for them to play in besides HE, and they were a founding member, though I might be biased. UConn is leaving AE, and Lowell and UNH are both also founding members of HE. So that probably leaves Vermont as the ones most likely leading this charge, though there's obviously no way to know at this stage. Schulman was also the one quoted in the article most prominently, FWIW. I just don't understand what's to be gained by ditching a prestigious brand name in the hockey world like Hockey East. If they want a better media infrastructure a la NCHC, they could easily invest in it and create it without ditching the label, I'd imagine. I just don't see what's to gain.

Leave a comment:

• Sean Pickett
    replied
    Originally posted by Agganis View Post
    And yes there was a ton of animosity between BU and AE when BU left in 2013.
    Yes, the other AE schools were upset when BU announced it was leaving the league and refused to let any BU teams participate in postseason play. BU asked for the league to allow them to, but the league refused and BU accepted it (unlike Maine back in 1994 when HE banned them from the postseason).

Sean

Leave a comment:

• Sean Pickett
    replied
    Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    FWIIW, faction, or fraction? Agreed, really stupid idea. Who would ever pursue such a stupid idea...... oh, wait......
    Sorry, I mistyped it in my post. Still, it sounded to me like a minority of ADs.

Sean

Leave a comment:

• NCAA watcher
    replied

Chasing dollars, envious of others making more, all the while pricing themselves out of their core fans and the new ones.

Then write an article about how attendance is down. Well, if its significantly cheaper to watch on internet, and it costs students too much to go to games, then your fan base stagnates.

People watching their product shrink, and thinking the solution is to price it higher seems.... shortsighted.

Here's the root of the problem, as described in the College Hockey News https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...d-Interest.php

After years of increased attendance and interest, college hockey has slipped the other way. It's a problem because the infrastructure was set up under the assumption the gravy train would keep running. Sellouts at the Frozen Four became a foregone conclusion. New arenas were built on campus, bigger and more beautiful than ever before, under the assumption the good times would keep rolling. Salaries went up.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    This fairly recent thing of hiring these MBA-types to run athletic departments and conferences is not a good turn of events on the whole.
    Not sure an MBA is the problem. MBAs understand supply and demand and falling demand.

This summer, when it was announced that Bertagna’s contract would not be extended at the conclusion of the 2019-20 season, Vermont athletic director Jeff Schulman, then the chair of the Hockey East executive committee, acknowledged the media platform and revenue growth for the league are important.
    moving the NCAA tourney away from sites further raised the costs to real fans. Step one to generating intensity is to return to the campuses.

Schulman, a 1989 Vermont graduate, was a four-year letter-winning defenseman on the men’s hockey team. He assisted on one of the most famous Vermont hockey goals ever when the Catamounts defeated eventual national champion Harvard in the ECAC Semifinals at the Boston Garden in 1989. Following the season, Schulman was chosen by the Boston Bruins in the 1989 NHL supplemental draft.

After graduation, Schulman was selected for the prestigious Asa Bushnell Internship with the ECAC office in Centerville, Mass. During his one-year internship with the ECAC he assisted in event management and publicity for the conference.

Following the ECAC, Schulman was an assistant athletic director at Bates College from 1990-1993 prior to being hired at Vermont.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 01-30-2020, 10:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X