X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.D.
    replied
    Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
    Nothing will make BC fans happy unless they get an invite from Big Ten hockey.
    Huh?

Leave a comment:

• The Zlax45
    replied
    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    A guy who has been at UNH forever, during Bertagna's tenure, is going to be drastically different? I am skeptical but we'll see if he brings anything new to the table.
    I don't think Metcalf has worked for anyone besides UNH in his adult life.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied

A guy who has been at UNH forever, during Bertagna's tenure, is going to be drastically different? I am skeptical but we'll see if he brings anything new to the table.

Leave a comment:

• The Zlax45
    replied

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    There is no way to correct the issue of attendance, either at individual schools or the tournament. Except for a few outliers (like UMass), attendance has taken a hit across hockey. Last year’s FF in Buffalo was the first in my memory (going back to 1992 and except for the Ford Field fiasco) that was not sold out. Attendance has taken a nosedive at BU, BC, UNH, and Maine. On top of that, I doubt that there will be a NESN contract ever again. Schools are now paying to get their games on NESN, not the other way around, so why should NESN pay production costs?
    This is correct...NESN has no reason to do any production anymore with these schools paying for everything!

Leave a comment:

• Greg Ambrose
    replied
    Originally posted by LFofF View Post
    I was afraid HEA would go this route. Disappointing. Feels like a parochial hire. I don't get a sense that this will help address some of the issues (officiating, marketing, attendance) that the conference has been plagued with.
    There is no way to correct the issue of attendance, either at individual schools or the tournament. Except for a few outliers (like UMass), attendance has taken a hit across hockey. Last year’s FF in Buffalo was the first in my memory (going back to 1992 and except for the Ford Field fiasco) that was not sold out. Attendance has taken a nosedive at BU, BC, UNH, and Maine. On top of that, I doubt that there will be a NESN contract ever again. Schools are now paying to get their games on NESN, not the other way around, so why should NESN pay production costs?

The only thing I’ll say in Metcalf’s favor is that, in my limited exposure to him at UNH, he comes across as a no nonsense guy. And the fact that he has been an assistant AD all these years at least gives him the outsiders perspective of Hockey East. Now he’ll be on the inside and perhaps he’ll be able to convey to his peers that changing things to their liking is not as easy as they think it should be.

Leave a comment:

• The Zlax45
    replied

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Two questions for a curious outsider out west:

1: Why is this viewed as an unoriginal/status quo hire? Was there a more aggressive person you would’ve preferred?

2: I’m eternally curious about people speculating about new D-I programs, and whether there’s any actual meat on the bones of said speculation (rarely) or if it’s just a guy on the Internet thinking “hey, we have other America East and/or NE state flagship school we could have, why not them?”. Like… has anyone at URI, Stony Brook or Albany ever actually done anything to fuel the rumors? Do their club teams draw more than 1000/game? Is there even a realistic arena in play for any of them?
    URI's home rink holds 2,500 and on campus near the Basketball arena. It isn't like HOCKEY east ready with amenities but is pretty nice for a club rink.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradfo...Boss_Arena.jpg

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

Two questions for a curious outsider out west:

1: Why is this viewed as an unoriginal/status quo hire? Was there a more aggressive person you would’ve preferred?

2: I’m eternally curious about people speculating about new D-I programs, and whether there’s any actual meat on the bones of said speculation (rarely) or if it’s just a guy on the Internet thinking “hey, we have other America East and/or NE state flagship school we could have, why not them?”. Like… has anyone at URI, Stony Brook or Albany ever actually done anything to fuel the rumors? Do their club teams draw more than 1000/game? Is there even a realistic arena in play for any of them?

Leave a comment:

• The Zlax45
    replied

Originally posted by LFofF View Post
    I was afraid HEA would go this route. Disappointing. Feels like a parochial hire. I don't get a sense that this will help address some of the issues (officiating, marketing, attendance) that the conference has been plagued with.
    Attendance and TV ratings are down throughout sports....it is a change in the culture.

Leave a comment:

• Groot
    replied

same old, same old

Leave a comment:

• umhockey91
    replied

Nothing will make BC fans happy unless they get an invite from Big Ten hockey.

Leave a comment:

• LFofF
    replied

Leave a comment:

• theprofromdover
    replied

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
    STEVE METCALF NAMED NEXT COMMISSIONER OF HOCKEY EAST
    New Hampshire Deputy Director of Athletics Will Be Fifth Commissioner In League History

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/arti...ockey-east.php

His wife is a senior administrator at Merrimack, as well.
    Definitely not an upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• Split-N
    replied

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
    I'd love to see Albany and Stony Brook add hockey. Would be great to get HE exposure in the Capital District as well as out on LI.
    If we're talking about NY, I'd much rather see Syracuse. Already with a women's program plus a sizeable fan base and alums spread throughout the northeast. (Not holding my breath.)

Leave a comment:

• umhockey91
    replied

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
    If you want exposure in NYC get a team from NYC. Not sure who it could be or where they could play but it would be interesting. I think Sacred Heart must be intent on being the 12th team with the on campus rink meeting requirements. Wouldn't be surprised if they had some discussions about it already before proceeding with their plans. Only other prominent schools that fit the footprint are of course those other 4 already mentioned, RPI, Holy Cross, URI and Quinnipiac. But how about the possibility of a D1 program in Hockey for MIT, Brandeis, Tufts or Clark. All top 100 Universities that could use a name brand sport besides swimming or track and field.
    Seriously? Yeah....let's get these dead end New England liberal arts schools & D3s instead of NY flagship schools with thousands of students, growing athletic depts & more media coverage.

Leave a comment:

• Yuppie Scum
    replied

STEVE METCALF NAMED NEXT COMMISSIONER OF HOCKEY EAST
    New Hampshire Deputy Director of Athletics Will Be Fifth Commissioner In League History

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/arti...ockey-east.php

His wife is a senior administrator at Merrimack, as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X