NCAA Tourney Team Selection Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
    Knowing that was largely a routine save, the goalie was exhausted, too. Not quite like UMD who had to come out of the game, but exhausted.

As for the FF, I still think it's impossible to read who can do what- BSU looked so impressive against Wisconsin, but much less than that vs UMass. The BC game today will be interesting to see how they play- seeing how BU looked.

I honestly had doubts about my team, as there was just a few weekends the entire season where they won both games.
    Minnesota Duluth just has that innate understanding of the game that carries them through these NCAA Tournament games. North Dakota was trying to pick corners with their shots (and hitting posts). Duluth was putting their chances on frame. In a 5OT game, that was the difference where, as you said, the goalies were exhausted and "routine" saves became anything but. I'd be curious to see a shots attempted chart. I would imagine it would be far more lopsided in favor of North Dakota than the shots on goal were.

As for the FF, the last FF game saw Duluth absolutely dominate Massachusetts. Hopefully UMass has significantly improved their team this season compared to 2018-2019. If not, expect a similar result.

I only saw Michigan play 1/2 a game this season...and I saw very little of the B1G. Wisconsin looked like dog ****, and the Gophers dominated the 5th best team in the NCHC. My guess, if Michigan had been able to play, is they would have lost to UMD. The Bulldogs are just built for the NCAA Tournament. What would have been interesting is how the Duluth/North Dakota game would have played out had the Michigan/Duluth game been played. My guess is very similar to how it played out last night.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• As I saw our team, they were SO good on the first night that I had huge confidence that they would be able to take UMD. They can score a TON on night one. The second night, on the other hand. Can't say that they would have won for sure, but I really thought they could have beaten anyone in the first game.

But we will never know.

Last year, we had a LOT more confidence in the team going all the way- the entire second half of the season, you could see them ramp it up. So we were all hoping for the same thing this year. That only really translated to game one of a weekend.

Good luck to UMD, but the only game I would root for them was last night... :-)

Comment

• Ya it's tough to quantify. For example, Sanderson was clearly best player out there and didn't look tired at all. And it was the UMD goalie that had to come out due to cramps.

Comment

As I saw our team, they were SO good on the first night that I had huge confidence that they would be able to take UMD. They can score a TON on night one. The second night, on the other hand. Can't say that they would have won for sure, but I really thought they could have beaten anyone in the first game.

But we will never know.

Last year, we had a LOT more confidence in the team going all the way- the entire second half of the season, you could see them ramp it up. So we were all hoping for the same thing this year. That only really translated to game one of a weekend.

Good luck to UMD, but the only game I would root for them was last night... :-)
          You're right. We'll never know. None of the top-end players on Michigan's roster have ever won an NCAA Tournament game. Nobody on Duluth's roster has ever lost an NCAA Tournament game (9-0). Could Michigan have beaten Duluth? Sure. Would they have? I doubt it. I think it would have looked a lot like the Wisconsin-Bemidji State game.

Enjoy cheering for Massachusetts, and then whoever comes out of the BC/SCSU/Minnesota/Minnesota State pileup. : - )
          North Dakota

Comment

• The last two games are tough. Root against BC or an NCHC team? Root for the B1G or for a WCHA team?

Of the last left, I would hope the most for MSU- I hate Minny as much as anyone else, but the B1G has sucked so much since PSU forced it to form. BC has won more than enough, so Jan Brady State it is (St Cloud was that, right?).

The long standing trio of national hate has been Minny, Michigan, and BC- so with us out, haters have to hate.

Comment

• Should be easy for the neutrals. St. Cloud/Minnesota State vs. UMass for the title.

Comment

The last two games are tough. Root against BC or an NCHC team? Root for the B1G or for a WCHA team?

Of the last left, I would hope the most for MSU- I hate Minny as much as anyone else, but the B1G has sucked so much since PSU forced it to form. BC has won more than enough, so Jan Brady State it is (St Cloud was that, right?).

The long standing trio of national hate has been Minny, Michigan, and BC- so with us out, haters have to hate.
                I'm certainly pulling for St. Cloud and Minnesota State today. I haven't seen Minnesota or Boston College play this year, (was hoping to watch their First Round games, but BC got the bye and then Minnesota's game last night was preempted by an NCHC marathon) but I would anticipate them getting the wins.

Personally, I hate Denver more than any program. If they never won another game again (unless it benefitted North Dakota), I would sleep happy tonight. Michigan ranks a solid 3rd for level of "hate" for B1G schools (Minnesota, Wisconsin occupy the 1/2 slots, interchangeably depending on the era/situation). To be honest, I don't really care all that much about the Wolverines, I just don't want Michigan to get their 10th before North Dakota. As for Boston College, they would probably rank on par with BU...although I don't really "hate" any of the eastern teams.

I'll cheer for a Duluth/St. Cloud final. I would like to see the NCAA Title remain in conference. Outside of the NCHC teams, I typically cheer for schools that have never won it all before, so I will likely cheer as follows: (1) Minnesota State; (2) Massachusetts; (3) Boston College; (4) Minnesota.
                North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Should be easy for the neutrals. St. Cloud/Minnesota State vs. UMass for the title.
                  Which means we'll get Boston College v. Minnesota Duluth...the two best programs of the 21st Century squaring off for who gets the title of #1.
                  North Dakota

Comment

• Heck of a game, NoDak/UMD - I feel for either team's players to lose after putting in great effort for such a long game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                      Congratulations to Duluth. I think they win it all again and become the first team since Michigan in the 50s to win three NCAA Tournaments in a row. They just have an uncanny ability to win these type of games come tournament time.

From North Dakota's perspective, that was an unfortunate end. North Dakota overcame tremendous odds to tie the game up late in the third, and it seemed by the third and fourth overtimes they had more energy than Duluth. I'd be curious how many posts North Dakota hit in the overtimes. It seemed like about 4-5.

Oh well. Great season for North Dakota. Great game for college hockey. Good luck to the Bulldogs against Massachusetts.
                      Respect.
                      You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

I'm certainly pulling for St. Cloud and Minnesota State today. I haven't seen Minnesota or Boston College play this year, (was hoping to watch their First Round games, but BC got the bye and then Minnesota's game last night was preempted by an NCHC marathon) but I would anticipate them getting the wins.

Personally, I hate Denver more than any program. If they never won another game again (unless it benefitted North Dakota), I would sleep happy tonight. Michigan ranks a solid 3rd for level of "hate" for B1G schools (Minnesota, Wisconsin occupy the 1/2 slots, interchangeably depending on the era/situation). To be honest, I don't really care all that much about the Wolverines, I just don't want Michigan to get their 10th before North Dakota. As for Boston College, they would probably rank on par with BU...although I don't really "hate" any of the eastern teams.

I'll cheer for a Duluth/St. Cloud final. I would like to see the NCAA Title remain in conference. Outside of the NCHC teams, I typically cheer for schools that have never won it all before, so I will likely cheer as follows: (1) Minnesota State; (2) Massachusetts; (3) Boston College; (4) Minnesota.
                        So, you're saying there's a chance you'll root for the Gophers....
                        You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

• Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post

So, you're saying there's a chance you'll root for the Gophers....
                          If they had to play Denver, I would pull for Minnesota...or if they were in the national title game against Michigan.

That being said, I don't think you want me pulling for the Gophers. The last time I did they got curb stomped by Boston College in the Frozen Four.
                          North Dakota

Comment

• If Minn. State had lost yesterday, I think there would have been a push to ban them from future NCAA's no matter what their regular season record. Choking under the big lights was getting old - big win for the program's perception (at least outside of Mankato...)

Comment

• Good job by whoever is in charge of the video going to commercial break. A nice montage of BU players.

Comment

• Someone tell Knight to keep the net on the pegs.
                                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X