No announcement yet.

NCAA Tourney Team Selection Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, will the hockey tournament be as crazy as the basketball tournament has been? I've got an AIC-Quinnipiac final. *smilie*
    It Happened!!!!

Comment

• And as we all knew, you can quibble over Denver/Omaha and Notre Dame getting in but the WCHA getting 3 is a good thing for college hockey. None of the HE teams did enough to separate themselves. With the fear of what limiting travel would do to the bracket, that ended up a non factor. Committee did a very good job in the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Also, does ESPN pick the times? UND playing in the late game Friday night when most coaches want that earlier game.
        North Dakota has said that they did not play a role in picking the time Friday, so I assume ESPN.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I am assuming this is COVID related but there are bigger gaps in between the start times of these regional semifinal games than there normally is.
          My guess is the gaps are to clear out the teams and clean the locker rooms between games and for those arenas that have fans, to clear out the fans and clean. I'm assuming that ticketing is per game. (No packages.)
          It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Its times like these that show how glad I am they have computer systems instead of committees to select this tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
              Congratulations to Adam Wodon for showing both his ignorance and hate for the WCHA in the same false statement.

"After all, the WCHA has yet to win an NCAA Tournament game since the big split in 2013."

2016 - Ferris State beat 2nd overall seed St. Cloud State 5-4 in overtime.

Let's see how long it takes him to transfer that hate to the CCHA.
              Wodon is just bitter because he was one of the people hoping all along (based upon his podcasts) that there would be little or no travel and that the eastern teams would stay east and the western teams would stay west, with maybe one team from out west going east to balance it out.

Obviously, the committee tried to go with bracket integrity over bus travel, and he's unhappy about it.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                Its times like these that show how glad I am they have computer systems instead of committees to select this tournament.
                It's also times like these that show the lameness of people like Adam Wodon and Jason Moy claiming any great prognostication skills when it comes to setting the bracket. I was getting a little tired of Moy beginning all of his bracketology columns with "I've picked the bracket right 19 straight years." Yeah, when a computer is doing it for you, you're great. When not, you're a blind monkey throwing poo in the air.

Comment

• Moy should step away from the keyboard after having UMass as a 3 seed. But really in the absence of PWR, I don't think we could have expected the committee to do any better than this. They put together a good bracket.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    So, will the hockey tournament be as crazy as the basketball tournament has been? I've got an AIC-Quinnipiac final. *smilie*
                    I'll try my best to not take that personally, yet I am an Iron Ranger. We get ****ed easily. I always love the Mn teams, yet have a personal commitment to QU. Not saying anything about anything. I'm just happy we are playing, and anything can happen. Always willing to buy a beer after.

Comment

Moy should step away from the keyboard after having UMass as a 3 seed. But really in the absence of PWR, I don't think we could have expected the committee to do any better than this. They put together a good bracket.
                      I agree. I was worried the committee might think like Wodon and go with the minimal travel approach over bracket integrity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                        Its times like these that show how glad I am they have computer systems instead of committees to select this tournament.
                        I'm curious as to why?

It seems to me like the committee did a good job in trying to choose the best 16 teams. At the end, that last 3 or 4 spots came down to very close calls.

Have you ever looked at the actual RPI numbers in the range of 12-16 in a season ending PWR? They are usually VERY VERY close. Close enough that in some cases, you could change a game result from November for a conference mate of one of the teams (not even one of the teams in question in the game, but just a conference mate, so you are adjusting the OppWin% and the OppOppWin%), change from a win to a draw, and you get a different order. That's very close. It tells you that the RPI is probably NOT actually able to distinguish between those teams. Why? Because, in reality, nothing is able to distinguish the teams.

We've come to trust the computers, but the computers can't really tell us what we want to know, so all we get is Scooby's "simple math". I like it that it's very subjective. But, in a year like this, I think we need to applaud the committee because they had to make a serious judgement call or two themselves. Their answer is no better or worse than the PWR.

It could have been very bad. For example...they could have said, "We want east/west balance." and then chosen BC and UMass as #1s. And, QU as a #2. And, for travel, heaped Fargo high with NCHC teams. They could have done a number of things differently, in which we all would wonder, "What?!?!"

The fact that we can see what they did, and it makes sense, even if we disagree on some particular choices, suggests they did well.

To me, examples are:
                        Who got the #4 overall? Wisc did, but UMass, and Mankato could also have been possibilities. Everyone commenting here would agree that parsing that out was one choice the committee had to make.
                        Again: Where to put QU? And, LSSU? Most of us had these as #3s, and the committee agreed.
                        Finally, if the final 3 spots came down to Bemidji, Omaha, Notre Dame, Providence, and Denver.....well, we all agreed about that, too. We may have chosen differently. We may have felt that 4 B10 teams is too many. But, in the end, we would all have to agree that these were the difficult choices we all expected.

So, one must admit that the committee did a good job.

Even though we all hope for a full season with lots of OOC games and a fully operational PWR next year.

Comment

• Concerning Wodon and Moy....

Usually Wodon overthinks things, and that was true this year also. Usually Moy is more 'by the book'. In recent years, the committee has usually gone for "start by the book, and then make easy changes to get better attendance."

Comment

• While glancing through some previous post, a scenario I have yet to see mentioned. Could end up being an all B10 final four. Stranger things have happened.. Just sayun'

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                              Congratulations to Adam Wodon for showing both his ignorance and hate for the WCHA in the same false statement.

"After all, the WCHA has yet to win an NCAA Tournament game since the big split in 2013."

2016 - Ferris State beat 2nd overall seed St. Cloud State 5-4 in overtime.

Let's see how long it takes him to transfer that hate to the CCHA.
                              Well, wouldn't want to let the facts get in the way of a good comment.
                              License to kill gofers...From the government of the United Nations. - Carl Spackler, Caddyshack

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

It's also times like these that show the lameness of people like Adam Wodon and Jason Moy claiming any great prognostication skills when it comes to setting the bracket. I was getting a little tired of Moy beginning all of his bracketology columns with "I've picked the bracket right 19 straight years." Yeah, when a computer is doing it for you, you're great. When not, you're a blind monkey throwing poo in the air.
                                Classic!
                                License to kill gofers...From the government of the United Nations. - Carl Spackler, Caddyshack

Comment

Working...
                                X