NCAA Tourney Team Selection Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Got swept by what most people would say was their most difficult NC opponent. They do have a couple wins against AIC. Almost a wash there i guess. The rest of those wins were against hot garbage.

I'm more against the ECAC having a 3 team tournament for an autobid than i am Quinnipiac itself.
    That's fair. The problem is, the NCAA had previously allowed a 4-team conference award its autobid to the conference tournament champion. Are you suggesting that once Clarkson called it quits, the ECAC autobid should have gone to QU?

It's a weird, messed up year. I'm not sure there was a clear solution.

I do think QU has now slipped to a #3 seed. So, is it Duluth or Michigan that gets bumped up to a #2?
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

FWIW, QU played 9 non-conference games this season (not counting the ECAC "Tournament"), and went 7-2-0.
      And, those wins were:
      2 v Sacred Heart; 2 v AIC; 2 v Holy Cross, and 1 v Long Island. The 2 losses were to Bowling Green. At home.

This is hardly an impressive resume.
      AIC's only other 2 non conf games were wins over Long Island.

That might be even less impressive.

Comment

That's fair. The problem is, the NCAA had previously allowed a 4-team conference award its autobid to the conference tournament champion. Are you suggesting that once Clarkson called it quits, the ECAC autobid should have gone to QU?

I do think QU has now slipped to a #3 seed. So, is it Duluth or Michigan that gets bumped up to a #2?
        Shouldn't matter whether it's Duluth or Michigan. They should play each other. (I know it matters for last change.)

QU? Maybe a 4th. Maybe nothing. Call UMD a 2. Then, Mich, LSSU and BU are all better than QU, easily. Bemdiji and Providence are also, if UMass wins tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post

And, those wins were:
          2 v Sacred Heart; 2 v AIC; 2 v Holy Cross, and 1 v Long Island. The 2 losses were to Bowling Green. At home.

Yea if Quinnipiac's resume for an NCAA bid looks like this, I'm not impressed. Pass.
          Originally posted by reBlur
          the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• I admit, not an easy situation to navigate. And I applaud the ECAC 4 for not being sheep and trying to play unlike the Ivies. I also realize that Clarkson bailed so late in the season that there wasn't much you could do. But I don't think that should mean QU is simply a lock. The committee should at least try to evaluate them against other teams. Hell, even BG who swept them. Seems fair to say that BG would probably have a similar record as QU if they played in the ECAC this year.

Comment

And, those wins were:

Again, we just don't know how impressive those wins were. Traditionally, I would agree. This year? Who knows.
              North Dakota

Comment

• Canisius up 2-1 halfway thru the game

Comment

Shouldn't matter whether it's Duluth or Michigan. They should play each other. (I know it matters for last change.)

QU? Maybe a 4th. Maybe nothing. Call UMD a 2. Then, Mich, LSSU and BU are all better than QU, easily. Bemdiji and Providence are also, if UMass wins tonight.
                  I'll defer to you, who obviously has watched all of these teams extensively and a whole lot more than myself, as to whether Michigan, LSSU, and BU are all easily better than QU. Personally, I haven't watched QU play all season.

That being said, I would be pretty surprised if QU didn't make the tournament based on their record/ECAC Regular Season title/status as an eastern team in a western-heavy year.
                  North Dakota

Comment

Good question. Nacho is better than the Big, but not by as much as previous years. It's a toss up methinks.
                    Last edited by captain beefheart; 03-20-2021, 07:27 PM.
                    You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Again, we just don't know how impressive those wins were. Traditionally, I would agree. This year? Who knows.
                      You figure those four teams, with collectively somewhere between 75 and a 100 years of division I play and three total ncaa tournament appearances (all autobids) suddenly woke up good?
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

You figure those four teams, with collectively somewhere between 75 and a 100 years of division I play and three total ncaa tournament appearances (all autobids) suddenly woke up good?
                        Some people are highly suspicious of Bayesian statistics.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: What're YOU looking at?

The number of times a poster posts per day is directly correlated with how dissatisfied he is with his relationship.

Comment

• To make my thoughts more clear about the #2 and #3 situation...

Given QU's resume, (with apologies to FS23, I haven't watched anyone. I'm going by the history of the conferences. But, there really hasn't been a year in which historical precedent of conferences was way off), I am sure they are not a 2, and not even a high 3. I think, therefore, that UMD and Michigan are the low 2, and the high 3. Therefore, the first round game should be UMD v Mich. Just hang on to that.

Now, some more comparing....
                          QU is 7-2 non-conf. As stated earlier, the wins are against Sacred Heart (2), Holy Cross (2), AIC (2), and Long Island (1). The losses were against Bowling Green (2).
                          I submit that this is not much better a resume than AIC (should they lose their final), or the next 2 highest AHA teams in the standings. The fact that they were 7-0 (no losses) suggests some consistency, and they deserve some credit for that. The 2 losses to Bowling Green are not high points in the resume, however.

And, therefore, I think's a completely fine idea to drop them below the level of LSSU, and perhaps even BSU (after all, 2 losses to a team in BGSU which I feel is not as strong as either BSU or LSSU).

So, With all that said, I would rank the teams as such:
                          NoDak, Minn, BC, MSUM, Wisc, Mass, SCSU, Mich....
                          UMD, LSSU, BU, Prov, BSU, AIC(auto), StL(auto) and the last team in is either Denver, Omaha or QU.

I would not want to be the committee trying to evaluate the group of Prov, BSU, Denver, Omaha and QU.
                          Nor would I want to try to parse out the Wisc, Mass and SCSU situation. And, that does make a difference because of how you bracket.
                          I also think that LSSU and BU are a bit difficult, although if the Lakers win tonight, I think that makes it easier.

Comment

• While I might not agree with it, probably easier for the committee to take QU rather than try to decide between Denver and Omaha.

Comment

• QU will probably get in. AIC is in, and will likely be the only Atlantic school to get in.
                              "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                While I might not agree with it, probably easier for the committee to take QU rather than try to decide between Denver and Omaha.
                                Yeah, as has been stated over and over, this is a weird and crazy year for the committee.

I do think a lot of people are discounting Quinnipiac though...particularly when trying to use recent history to support it. The Bobcats are probably one of the top 8-10 programs in college hockey over the last 7-8 seasons. They've made 5 trips to the NCAA Tournament in that time frame, going 7-5 in those tournaments, advancing to the National Championship game twice. They went to the Regional Final in 2019, and were a bubble NCAA team last season, finishing 14th in the Pairwise before the season ended.

I get it. We don't like that the ECAC only had 4 teams play this season and they shouldn't get 2 NCAA bids. However, QU won about 2/3s of its games, and lost in overtime in its conference championship game (to a team it had beaten 4 times this year). I guess I'll sum up my thoughts, which I think are similar to yours: The ECAC doesn't deserve 2 bids in the NCAA Tournament this season, but QU probably deserves to be in the tournament.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X