No announcement yet.

NCAA Tourney Team Selection Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here are some things to keep in mind as we approach Selection Sunday, and a bit of a primer for some of the newbies:

Here is the committee:
    • AHA - Derek Schooley (Robert Morris coach, 2018-22)
    • Big Ten - Michael Cross (Penn State asst. AD, 2019-23)
    • ECAC - Mike Schafer (Cornell coach, 2017-21)
    • HEA - Jeff Schulman (Vermont AD, 2020-24)
    • NCHC - Mike Kemp (Nebraska-Omaha - chair, 2017-21)
    • WCHA - Bob Daniels (Ferris State coach, 2018-22)
    Here are some guideposts for seedings/selection/placing:
    • There have generally been two sacrosanct philosophies when it comes to the seeding process. 1. teams that are hosting a regional must be placed in that region; 2. avoid first-round games (and second-round, if possible) against teams from the same conference.
    • The committee has stated this season that it will attempt to limit travel as much as possible.
    • Each conference tournament champion gets an automatic bid (6 teams), and then there are 10 at-large selections.
    • The teams are then grouped into four "bands" of four, with teams 1-4 given No. 1 seeds (Band 1), 5-8 given No. 2 seeds (Band 2), 9-12 given No. 3 seeds (Band 3), and 13-16 given No. 4 seeds (Band 4).
    • The No. 1 seeds are ranked 1-2-3-4, and then placed, in that order, in the region closest to home as possible.
    • For the remaining teams, while the traditional practice did not place a significant emphasis on geography (instead placing a strong premium upon maintaining a "serpentine" order. i.e. 1 vs. 16, 2 vs. 15, 3 vs. 14, etc... with the second-round set up to preserve, if possible, a 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, 4 vs. 5 setup), it is anticipated that the committee will attempt to minimize travel to keep teams closer to home. The committee will mix and match teams within bands in order to preserve the two sacrosanct issues mentioned above, but will not move teams outside their band. Generally speaking, in order to avoid an intra-conference matchup, the committee prefers flip-flopping the No. 3 seeds within their band to different regionals, as opposed to No. 2 seeds. Either way would work, but they have usually chosen the former.

North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
      I could live with this.

Fargo: NoDak v BSU/NMU, Wisc v UMD
      Albany: Minn v AIC, Quinn v Mich (2 flights)
      Bridgeport: BC v UNO, Mass v LSSU (2 flights)
      Loveland: Mankato v PC, SCSU v BU (all flights)
      Reduces by 2 flights if you put PC against BC
      Flip these two. If BU gets in, there's zero chance the committee puts them on a plane with two sites in bus range. Michigan flies regardless, they go to Loveland.

I could even see the committee, in this case, keep PC in Bridgeport against BC to reduce the travel again. I think they're going to *heavily* prioritize lack of flights even it means first round conference games.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• I am picturing Mike Schafer showing up on these Zoom calls with a shaggy beard, wrinkled t shirt and empty beer bottles all around. Then Bob Daniels and Jeff Schulman can tell everyone how great all the teams in their leagues are after going a combined 2-33-3 record. And no that is not a typo.

Comment

• As it stands now, there should be enough options to avoid first round conference games especially since we haven't had basically any non conference games this year. It's bad enough when you get those regional final possibilities of a game that was just played a week ago. We really don't need to see first round conference games this year.

Comment

• JD—love above post about Cornell coach and combined records of Vermont and Ferris Coaches

Comment

• SLU 1 - QU 0 End 1

I maintain that if QU loses this game they should be forced to bus to Fargo *smiley face*

Comment

• QU has Wyatt Bongiovanni back for first time since before Christmas. He had 4-3-7 in 7 games to start the year. Pretty big addition.

2-1 QU in 2nd

Comment

• One goal away from garbage SLU stealing a bid after the rigorous ECAC tournament

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    One goal away from garbage SLU stealing a bid after the rigorous ECAC tournament
                    Even QU is that bad?????

Comment

• That should be the end of QU.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• And St. Larry is in the Tournament! I think that likely is the death knell for DU and Omaha.
                        North Dakota

Comment

• Lollllll

As I was saying before about QU, sure they won a lot of games. But against who? Swept by BG. Comical that the ECAC is probably getting two teams in this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            That should be the end of QU.
                            Probably won't happen but I would not have a problem with that at all.

Comment

• That should be the end of QU’s season. Ridiculous if 2 ECAC teams in a 3 team postseason tournament get in, in what had been a 4 team conference this year. /rolleyes

Comment

• Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
                                That should be the end of QU’s season. Ridiculous if 2 ECAC teams in a 3 team postseason tournament get in, in what had been a 4 team conference this year. /rolleyes
                                It has happened before.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X