NCAA Tourney Team Selection Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Plus, you just said UND gets home ice in Fargo. Now you want them to have home ice in Grand Forks?
    If they earn a one seed, yes...

Honestly, I would like 12 teams (16 is probably fine, though) with two rounds of best of three at the higher seed then the Frozen Four much more than the current setup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

Massachusetts has 11 titles from 3 teams
      Minnesota has 8 titles from 2 teams

Massachusetts wins.
      In the last 50 years? Seems you are talking All-Time, and then Minnesota has every right to claim titles won before the NCAA tourney.

And how many native Minnesotans were on those Mass teams? lol And UMn produced TWICE as many US Olympic hockey players than any Mass based team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post

Just exactly what do you expect when the NCAA prefers NHL arenas for the Frozen Four, for the size of the attendance? Just where do you propose to put the Frozen Four where multiple western fan bases can drive there? The only places are St Paul and Detroit, right?
        I've stated many times, if you want NHL Arenas that can fit large crowds, there are many of those in Southern Cal, Arizona, Texas, Vegas and Florida, all NEUTRAL sites, that college hockey fans would enjoy visiting in April. Being neutral sites is good as it's fair to all, and those being non saturated locations is good for promoting college hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post

Can you refute what I wrote? No, you can't.
          Sure. Can you produce evidence that sites in Minnesota submitted bids for regionals that were rejected?
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
            I picture FredsDeadFriend about two cases deep, sitting in a tiny ice fishing barn on the frozen tundra of Minnesota right now typing away about the glory days of Minnesota North Stars hockey.
            Never owned a fishhouse. I prefer hanging out in Vegas playing Poker and betting on college basketball during the winter months. When I stay in Minnesota I watch my favorite college sports and catch up on all the TV shows I missed the other 8 months of the year when I rarely watch any TV.

And when did the North Stars have "glory days"? They never won a single title?! lol I'm far more of a college and olympic level hockey fan.

Comment

I've stated many times, if you want NHL Arenas that can fit large crowds, there are many of those in Southern Cal, Arizona, Texas, Vegas and Florida, all NEUTRAL sites, that college hockey fans would enjoy visiting in April. Being neutral sites is good as it's fair to all, and those being non saturated locations is good for promoting college hockey.
              And, when it was said on the prior page that Vegas is hosting in 2026, you dismissed that because it's not close enough to Western schools. Are you trying to have cake and eat it, too?

Comment

Yes, let's go back and talk about college hockey back in the 50s as if it has any relevance on today's game. This East vs. West obsession is strange.
                It may seem strange and irrelevant, until you realize how much it has continued to affect the decisions of the powers that be. It's probably more prominent on the women's side of the game these days, so if you aren't a fan of women's college hockey, it may not be as obvious to you? But it's always been there, to some degree, and probably always will be.

Comment

• Getting back to relevant issues:
                  In what order do you think the #1 seeds belong:
                  NoDak is first, I suppose. What about Minn, Mankato and BC? Does BC take a hit for losing the other night? In Mankato 4th among these if they don't win their conf tourney?

Comment

Your complaint about the RPI doesn't hold water when:
                    1- NCAA still uses it in Basketball
                    2- Even if they didn't, the definition of RPI in hockey and basketball is mathematically different
                    3- Hockey RPI very closely mirrors the more mathematically robust and correct KRACH calculation. Look at the last 3 or 4 years of data, exclude this year, and compare between RPI and KRACH for hockey. If you really are a stats geek, you would know this.
                    NO, the NCAA does NOT still use the RPI in college basketball. The NCAA made it very clear that they discontinued using the RPI several years ago.

And there has always been a noticeable difference between the KRACH ratings and the RPI ratings, the same can not be said about the PWR and the RPI.

Comment

NO, the NCAA does NOT still use the RPI in college basketball. The NCAA made it very clear that they discontinued using the RPI several years ago.

And there has always been a noticeable difference between the KRACH ratings and the RPI ratings, the same can not be said about the PWR and the RPI.
                      Data on this difference between KRACH and PWR(which you said is the same as RPI on the last page).?

Comment

Coaches don't want that. Until the time comes where the NCAA says this format isn't working and is costing us money, it ain't happening. Plus, you just said UND gets home ice in Fargo. Now you want them to have home ice in Grand Forks?
                        The difference would be having home ice in Grand Forks far less often, and only when earned, compared to almost every other year whether they earn it or not.

Comment

Hey!! Watch it. I still think the North Stars name is better than "Wild" and they had better uniforms, too.
                          Yeah, thought it more than ******** that we let the North Stars get stolen by frigging Dallas. The supposed State of Hockey letting their Pro team get stolen from them? Inexcusable. But Minnesota, as a state, is an expert at screwing up everything good and wonderful. We lost the Lakers to LA, gave up funding CFB just before it started making tons of money for the schools that did fund it, chose not to go hardcore at supporting women's sports despite the state's reputation as being a leader in Civil Rights, chose to let Tony Dungy leave the state, and I could go on for days listing our dumb mistakes. lol

Comment

Well, Minnesota puts in bids for basically everything else, so it's a very reasonable assumption they DO put in as many bids as they can. Maybe if you were a Minnesotan and knew how many NCAA Swimming Championships, and NCAA basketball Final Fours, and NCAA anything else, and PGA Golf Championships, and Super Bowls, etc., that they make bids on, heck, they even put in bids for the Olympic Games, then you'd understand how ******** it is to assume they don't put in bids for NCAA hockey tournaments.
                            Cool. Can you show any evidence that sites in Minnesota did bid on hockey regionals and they were rejected?
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Getting back to relevant issues:
                              In what order do you think the #1 seeds belong:
                              NoDak is first, I suppose. What about Minn, Mankato and BC? Does BC take a hit for losing the other night? In Mankato 4th among these if they don't win their conf tourney?
                              As a BC fan, I would have no issue with them being considered 4th #1. That's why I floated BC/UMass to Albany as the 1/2 and a stronger one seed to Bridgeport with Quinnipiac.

Comment

1954 - Eastern team won the Title with a Western team winning Runner Up and the 3rd place game, and Western teams outscored Eastern teams 31 to 14 in goals scored. So even when an Eastern team wins a Title, they do it just barely winning both their games, and the evidence shows it was an exception to the general rule, as the other Eastern team was way outclassed by both western teams.
                                “It’s a loss that sticks with me still today,” said Mayasich on the loss to R.P.I. “To lose in overtime was bitter. It’s not the ones you won that you remember, it’s the ones you lost. To me, that was probably my biggest individual disappointment in all my years of hockey.” https://www.sportsfeelgoodstories.co...ockey-dynasty/

Yep, he lost to an eastern school.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X