NCAA Tourney Team Selection Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

The B1G is going to get three teams, minimum. No chance it’s two.
    I'm sorry. That was a typo. I am going to change it.... I appreciate the help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
      s

PC. No question. Winning a semi in double OT isn't that valuable.
      But how do we know that? That's what I am getting at. We don't know exactly how they're hashing this out.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

But how do we know that? That's what I am getting at. We don't know exactly how they're hashing this out.
        I know it's COVID, and it's a strange year. But, in every other year, a result was a result. No points for 'close'. The committee went by the PWR. Even though the PWR cannot be used this year, it would seem awfully strange for the committee to all of a sudden use any thing other than actual results for determining the field.

Lowell just isn't close enough to PC. You mentioned KRACH earlier. Lose the final to Mass, and they fall in KRACH. Committee likely isn't using KRACH anyway, and in the PWR (conference only), PC is ahead of Lowell right now, and will remain if Lowell loses to Mass.

Comment

• Where are you seeing that? PWR I am looking at has both UML and UConn ahead of Providence.

Comment

Where are you seeing that? PWR I am looking at has both UML and UConn ahead of Providence.
            Hmmmm.....I might have thought I saw that earlier and missed it. You are right. However, if you add the result that Mass beats Lowell, then a whole lot of things change, and you get.....PC....Lowell....Conn

Comment

• Well that and Denver/Omaha are the most intriguing things to watch. Whether they simply use math to select teams from within a conference or if they are more flexible.

Comment

I'm most intrigued by Lowell losing to UMass in say an OT heartbreaker...would committee take PC or UML if they take a 4th HE team. I can't see 5 being taken.
                I don't think the committee will get past the fact that Lowell finished 7th in the league. Prior to Sunday they were 1-5-1 against the top half of Hockey East. Yes, this is a great two game stretch run they're on, but that's a pretty weak precedent for an at-large bid for the 7th place finisher in a league.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

I don't think the committee will get past the fact that Lowell finished 7th in the league. Prior to Sunday they were 1-5-1 against the top half of Hockey East. Yes, this is a great two game stretch run they're on, but that's a pretty weak precedent for an at-large bid for the 7th place finisher in a league.
                  Let me preface this by saying I'd be shocked if Lowell gets in as an at-large. But since we don't know what the committee is using to decide, will they take into account the repeated quarantines for Lowell? Will they take into account a six game unbeaten right at the end of the year (assuming for this argument that they lose Saturday)?
                  Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                  2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I'm most intrigued by Lowell losing to UMass in say an OT heartbreaker...would committee take PC or UML if they take a 4th HE team. I can't see 5 being taken.
                    This is why the Pairwise method is way better than the NCAA basketball method. Recency bias gets people placing a lot of importance on a couple of games from a conference tournament, and ignoring the large amount of games played leading up to that tournament. Lowell shouldn't come anywhere near making the field if they don't win the tournament.

Comment

No way Lowell gets a at-large bid if they lose. If they win, they are then a bid stealer, pushing PC out

Comment

• It's not like Lowell is 10-13. Lowell is 10-8-1 and in the title game. PC is 11-8-5. It wouldn't be a crime or a shame to pick them over PC. Obviously if they lose, 11-8 is better than 10-9 but there's not some huge, indisputable gap between these teams. That's why they are bubble teams.

Comment

• But I realize most people just want straight math to decide these things.

Comment

• Those were both pretty good games last night. Makes you wonder though How BC could fold up like that in the third. I thought the UMass game was a lot closer than the score.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• I have a theory on that. If you saw the goals, Spencer Knight was just really, really bad. Hope he gets over it quick!

Comment

I have a theory on that. If you saw the goals, Spencer Knight was just really, really bad. Hope he gets over it quick!
                                Best goalie in Hockey East (if not the country). Just had a really rough evening.
                                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Working...
                                X