No announcement yet.

NCAA Tourney Team Selection Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Cloud a bus trip to Fargo? I ask because based on who I have as 2 seeds, you could see them there even though I don't think that should happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      St. Cloud a bus trip to Fargo? I ask because based on who I have as 2 seeds, you could see them there even though I don't think that should happen.
      Yes. It's only about 2.5-3 hours to Fargo from St. Cloud. Duluth and Bemidji State are also possible 2/3 seeds that are within bus distance of Fargo. Wisconsin is probably a bit too far (around 500 miles).
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• If they are REALLY trying to limit travel I guess you could see:

1. UND
        2. SCSU
        3. Bemidji

Comment

• I was looking to see if there is an argument to put St Cloud ahead of NoDak, but there really isn't.

Comment

• Loveland:

1. Minnesota or Mankato
            2. Wisconsin
            3. UMD

Michigan goes east as a 3?

Comment

• Here is where I think things roughly stand, if we assume: (1) SCSU holds on to beat UND; and (2) the rest of the conference tournaments go chalk...

1. Boston College
              2. North Dakota
              3. Minnesota
              4. Minnesota State Mankato
              --------
              5. St. Cloud State
              6. Wisconsin
              7. Massachusetts
              8. Quinnipiac
              --------
              9. Minnesota Duluth
              10. Michigan
              11. Lake Superior State
              12. Boston University
              --------
              13. Providence
              14. Bemidji State
              15. Denver or Omaha...I still can't decide
              16. AIC

Potential brackets with this field...

Bridgeport:
              1. Boston College v. 16. AIC (both bus trips)
              8. Quinnipiac v. 12. Boston University (both bus trips)

Fargo:
              2. North Dakota v. 14. Bemidji State (both bus trips)
              5. St. Cloud State v. 11. Lake Superior State (SCSU bus trip, LSSU a flight regardless)

Albany:
              3. Minnesota v. 13. Providence (PC bus trip, UMN a flight anywhere but Fargo)
              7. Massachusetts v. 10. Michigan (UMASS bus trip, UM a flight regardless)

Loveland:
              4. Minnesota State v. 15. Denver/Omaha (Denver/Omaha bus trip, Mankato a flight anywhere but Fargo)
              6. Wisconsin v. 9. Minnesota Duluth (UW a flight regardless, UMD a flight anywhere but Fargo)

You could swap the SCSU/LSSU and UW/UMD matchups as well if you were concerned about intra-conference regional finals.
              North Dakota

Comment

Loveland:

1. Minnesota or Mankato
                2. Wisconsin
                3. UMD

Michigan goes east as a 3?
                This works for me, but I would rather see Minnesota go east in this case, to mix the B10 teams all up.

Comment

• 1. BC
                  2. QU
                  3. BU

1. Minnesota or Mankato
                  2. UMass
                  3. Michigan

Just spit balling here since i have no idea how committed the committee will be to limiting travel or trying to be fair.

Comment

• FS 23.....
                    I wouldn't quibble with that in any way. I might disagree with the particular seeds, but AIC will be a 4 no matter what.

The real problems come if the ECAC and AHA don't go chalk.

Comment

• Barn Burner in Grand Forks, now. If NoDak wins, then I think FS23's bracket adjusts that ...
                      Fargo: #7 SCSU v #10 Michigan
                      Albany: #6 Mass v #9 UMD
                      Loveland: #5 Wisc v #11 LSSU
                      With no extra flight costs.
                      If SCSU loses this game, they have to be behind Wisconsin. Even if SCSU were ahead of Mass, you would still do this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                        it was fun knowing you JohnsonsJerseys...I am now adding you to my ignore list.
                        Someone please let FS23 he'll be missing out on the fun here going forward. Some folks just can't handle the facts I guess. Let them know I suggest friending Guy Gadowsky in my place. He makes similar arguments as FS23. He thinks PSU should be in the tourney at 10-12-0 just because they play in the BigTen.
                        "We're waiting for the NCAA committee to do their job." ~ Guy Gadowsky

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Translation: Michigan Tech has a winning record and should be in over Denver!
                        Nope. Not once did I make a case for MTU in this year's tourney. The only way they were going to make it was if they finished the season with 21 wins and they were not even close to that total. Hitting 21 wins would have meant one of the following scenarios was true:
                        • They swept Mankato the final weekend and won their first round WCHA series (four quality wins)
                        • One win at Mankato, won their first round WCHA series and a WCHA semi-final win (four quality wins)
                        • Swept by Mankato but won their first round WCHA series and the tourney semi-final and final (autobid)
                        I know what their record was and who they had beaten. I'm not going to come here and make a "homer" justification that they deserve it just because they have a lot of wins. They had 14 wins over horrible teams and had three quality wins all season.
                        • Mankato 12/6
                        • Bemidji 12/13
                        • LSSU 2/23
                        That's not a tourney resume and nor is a losing record. Sorry DU. Sorry PSU. Them the facts folks... for those that are still around to read them anyway.
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          Someone please let FS23 he'll be missing out on the fun here going forward. Some folks just can't handle the facts I guess. Let them know I suggest friending Guy Gadowsky in my place. He makes similar arguments as FS23. He thinks PSU should be in the tourney at 10-12-0 just because they play in the BigTen.
                          "We're waiting for the NCAA committee to do their job." ~ Guy Gadowsky

Nope. Not once did I make a case for MTU in this year's tourney. The only way they were going to make it was if they finished the season with 21 wins and they were not even close to that total. Hitting 21 wins would have meant one of the following scenarios was true:
                          • They swept Mankato the final weekend and won their first round WCHA series (four quality wins)
                          • One win at Mankato, won their first round WCHA series and a WCHA semi-final win (four quality wins)
                          • Swept by Mankato but won their first round WCHA series and the tourney semi-final and final (autobid)
                          I know what their record was and who they had beaten. I'm not going to come here and make a "homer" justification that they deserve it just because they have a lot of wins. They had 14 wins over horrible teams and had three quality wins all season.
                          • Mankato 12/6
                          • Bemidji 12/13
                          • LSSU 2/23
                          That's not a tourney resume and nor is a losing record. Sorry DU. Sorry PSU. Them the facts folks... for those that are still around to read them anyway.
                          Johnson....

I'll play...a little....
                          To be truthful, I don't see very many good resumes out there. I assume you are ok with the following:
                          Minn, Wisc, Mich
                          NoDak, SCSU, UMD
                          Mankato, LSSU, BemSt
                          BC, Mass, BU?

Now, from there, the question is:
                          How do you fill the rest of the field?

Every other team you might use has holes in their case.

Comment

• JJ, we need 16 teams. So which bubble teams are you advocating for?

Seems most are in agreement with UND and SCSU in Fargo. I would say if Bemidji beats LSSU make them the 3 in Fargo. If they lose make em the 4 in Fargo.

Comment

• Here is where I think things roughly stand, if we assume the rest of the conference tournaments go chalk...

1. North Dakota
                              2. Boston College
                              3. Minnesota
                              4. Minnesota State Mankato
                              --------
                              5. Wisconsin
                              6. St. Cloud State
                              7. Massachusetts
                              8. Quinnipiac
                              --------
                              9. Minnesota Duluth
                              10. Michigan
                              11. Lake Superior State
                              12. Boston University
                              --------
                              13. Providence
                              14. Bemidji State
                              15. Denver or Omaha...I still can't decide
                              16. AIC

Potential brackets with this field...

Bridgeport:
                              2. Boston College v. 16. AIC (both bus trips)
                              8. Quinnipiac v. 12. Boston University (both bus trips)

Fargo:
                              1. North Dakota v. 14. Bemidji State (both bus trips)
                              6. St. Cloud State v. 11. Lake Superior State (SCSU bus trip, LSSU a flight regardless)

Albany:
                              3. Minnesota v. 13. Providence (PC bus trip, UMN a flight anywhere but Fargo)
                              7. Massachusetts v. 10. Michigan (UMASS bus trip, UM a flight regardless)

Loveland:
                              4. Minnesota State v. 15. Denver/Omaha (Denver/Omaha bus trip, Mankato a flight anywhere but Fargo)
                              5. Wisconsin v. 9. Minnesota Duluth (UW a flight regardless, UMD a flight anywhere but Fargo)

Numbers, I could be convinced to do some 3 seed swapping as you proposed.
                              North Dakota

Comment

Seems most are in agreement with UND and SCSU in Fargo. I would say if Bemidji beats LSSU make them the 3 in Fargo. If they lose make em the 4 in Fargo.
                                Completely agree.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X