No announcement yet.

NCAA Tourney Team Selection Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That doesn't make it "fair" but it could happen.

Comment

If they are not going to equally distribute NCAA bids by conference, they certainly are not going award bids simply because a team is located close to a regional site.

If that is the case, the Loveland, CO regional is already set: Omaha, Denver, Air Force and CC, four teams that can bus to the site. And 75% NCHC teams to boot so everyone should be happy...
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        If they are not going to equally distribute NCAA bids by conference, they certainly are not going award bids simply because a team is located close to a regional site.

If that is the case, the Loveland, CO regional is already set: Omaha, Denver, Air Force and CC, four teams that can bus to the site. And 75% NCHC teams to boot so everyone should be happy...
        Bowling Green is closer to Albany and Bridgeport than it is to the two western sites of Fargo and Loveland. It would be fine to send us east.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Jesus, talk about taking it to the extreme. We're talking about teams under consideration, Einstein.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            You guys are forgetting that they want to limit travel even more this year. With no PWR, the committee can take Clarkson if it helps fill one of the Eastern regionals. Not for attendance obviously but because they can bus to Bridgeport and Albany. I would not rule that out as a factor.
            This is a very interesting point. What bubble teams are within bussing distance of the regionals? Clarkson (Bridgeport or Albany); Bemidji State (Fargo); Omaha (Fargo?); Connecticut (Bridgeport or Albany); Providence (Bridgeport or Albany). I'm sure there are others.

Then, what bubble teams would be a flight? Bowling Green, LSSU, Michigan Tech.

As you noted elsewhere, it probably shouldn't be a factor, but if the committee is debating between say Clarkson and LSSU, do they go with the bus team vs the flight team?
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

This is a very interesting point. What bubble teams are within bussing distance of the regionals? Clarkson (Bridgeport or Albany); Bemidji State (Fargo); Omaha (Fargo?); Connecticut (Bridgeport or Albany); Providence (Bridgeport or Albany). I'm sure there are others.

Then, what bubble teams would be a flight? Bowling Green, LSSU, Michigan Tech.

As you noted elsewhere, it probably shouldn't be a factor, but if the committee is debating between say Clarkson and LSSU, do they go with the bus team vs the flight team?
              I think a trip from the UP to Fargo is manageable on a bus.

Comment

Originally posted by TimothyLeary On LSD View Post

Back in the 70s with NMU basketball, we played a game at Edinboro State in NW Pennsylvania. The trip was a nightmare. We flew from Marquette to Escanaba, to Green Bay, to Milwaukee, to Chicago, to Pittsburg, to Erie then bused to Edinboro. It took us a full day. Keeping this flight disaster in mind, I prematurely thought flying from Sault Ste Marie to Fargo would have similar problems, and perhaps busing might be just as fast. After checking, I learned that Delta flies directly from the Soo to MSP. It takes 5 hours and 13 minutes over and 3 hours and 23 minutes back (Soo to Fargo with just one plane change each way).

Although the 11-hour 30-minute 655-mile non-interstate bus trip doesn't sound too inviting, it certainly would be tolerable for the opportunity to play in the national tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by TimothyLeary On LSD View Post

Houghton would be doable if they were to relax the 400 miles requirement (455 miles to Fargo). As just mentioned, it's 655 miles from Sault St. Marie. That's probably a bit far.
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

If you're looking for some chaos, look to the women's bracket. The easiest thing for the committee should be evaluating teams within a conference. Yet nobody seems to know why UMD was picked and Minnesota was left out. And then you see that the UMD athletic director was on the committee...

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      If you're looking for some chaos, look to the women's bracket. The easiest thing for the committee should be evaluating teams within a conference. Yet nobody seems to know why UMD was picked and Minnesota was left out. And then you see that the UMD athletic director was on the committee...
                      Thankfully, the reintroduction of the "smoke-filled room" this year is only for one year. :-)
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The BC womens hockey coach was also on the committee....funny how that works.

Comment

• As a Lake State Lakers fan, I'm getting encouraged by our current coach and our very successful former coach both being on the committee.

Comment

• Ya but they were ultimately expected to be in. It wasn't a horrible decision like picking UMD over Minnesota. As far as I can tell there is no argument to explain that one.

Comment

Ya but they were ultimately expected to be in. It wasn't a horrible decision like picking UMD over Minnesota. As far as I can tell there is no argument to explain that one.
                              That's the funny thing about the smoke filled room. You can use whatever argument you want.

If we ignore the fact that UMD had a representative on the committee and Minnesota did not, they probably went with UMD finishing in second in the WCHA and Minnesota fourth (even though their records were almost indistinguishable) and UMD had a slightly better record against OSU and Wisconsin, due to the fact that UMD only played four games against them (2-2) while Minnesota was 2-7-1 against those teams.

I remember back in 1983, when the men's bracket still included just 8 teams, there was a similar issue in play between UND and UMD. UND finished ahead of UMD in the standings (also 2nd vs. 4th) but UMD had won the season series against UND. Both lost in the semi's of their league tournament. UMD was selected ahead of North Dakota in that case, and as I recall the case being made, it was due to the head to head results.

The Committees can decide what they want, then tailor their logic to fit the result. I expect the same from the men's bracket this year.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Robert Morris and Omaha both have reps on the men’s committee. The rest of the reps are either from really bad teams or else teams that aren’t playing. So congrats to RMU and UNO for their upcoming at large bids?
                                #NewMass

Comment

Working...
                                X