No announcement yet.

NCAA Tourney Team Selection Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now that the DU-CC series has been canceled, the only way for DU to make the tourny is win the NCHC playoffs.
    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Here's a good one for you, imagine you're on the committee and have these two blind resumes:

These teams have one common opponent, and each lost both times to that team.

Team A
      16 wins
      2-1 in OT
      2-2 in shootouts
      4 wins against teams with record of .500 or better

Team B
      17 wins
      2-0 in OT
      0-1 in shootouts
      3 wins against teams with record of .500 or better

One of these teams is considered a tourney lock. The other is considered to need a conference tourney win to get the autobid. Now without looking up the teams, figure out who makes the field and who doesn't.

Comment

That looks like a tie to me!

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
          Here's a good one for you, imagine you're on the committee and have these two blind resumes:

Team A
          16 wins
          2-1 in OT
          2-2 in shootouts

Team B
          17 wins
          2-0 in OT
          0-1 in shootouts

One of these teams is considered a tourney lock. The other is considered to need a conference tourney win to get the autobid. Now without looking up the teams, figure out who makes the field and who doesn't.
          And that team that beat both teams listed above is also on the bubble.

Comment

Team A
            16 wins
            2-1 in OT
            2-2 in shootouts

Team B
            17 wins
            2-0 in OT
            0-1 in shootouts

How many losses does each team have? If one is 16-2 and the other is 17-10, that makes a difference. Also, on the “wins over .500,” there is a difference between winning four games against 9-8 teams and four games against teams say 16-7. What are the actual records of the over .500 teams each beat?
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I’d also be interested in knowing the overall record of each team against other teams with winning records.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

So my curiosity got the better of me. I assume we’re talking about Quinnipiac as the lock at 16 wins and MTU on the bubble with 17?

Yeah, honestly I’m not impressed with QU’s performance this year. I think they’re a lock because I think the ECAC team gets an entry and I don’t see them losing. But if they drop a game this weekend and don’t win their tourney, they could easily get bounced by someone like BG who beat them.

The problem I see with Tech is that 14 of their 17 wins are against terrible teams.

If QU gets bounced from their tournament, I think they’re in for an interesting comparison against teams like Tech and BG. I just don’t see it happening.

Comment

This is going to be the strangest post season ever--on the heels of the strangest regular season ever.
                  A few observations. The Sioux and the Eagles are hands down the deepest teams out there.
                  The one and done structure of the conference tournys could lead to the largest imbalance in NC$$ tourny history.
                  The fact that several regionals may not include fans is killing me (I hear the jokes coming already)
                  Covid protocols could shrink a field of 16. Do you pick a few alternates for the first round--especially if CC sneaks in (I've lost count how many times they've gone down).
                  I suspect the committee will do something creative to replace PWR--not involving the much loved media poll leading to a couple of valid surprises.
                  Go Pioneers!

Comment

Team A
                    16 wins
                    2-1 in OT
                    2-2 in shootouts

Team B
                    17 wins
                    2-0 in OT
                    0-1 in shootouts

Good thing a blind resume would never happen, so this exercise is useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                      Good thing a blind resume would never happen, so this exercise is useless.
                      Yeah, it's so much better when you pick teams on their names rather than on their merits or lack thereof.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        So my curiosity got the better of me. I assume we’re talking about Quinnipiac as the lock at 16 wins and MTU on the bubble with 17?

Yeah, honestly I’m not impressed with QU’s performance this year. I think they’re a lock because I think the ECAC team gets an entry and I don’t see them losing. But if they drop a game this weekend and don’t win their tourney, they could easily get bounced by someone like BG who beat them.

The problem I see with Tech is that 14 of their 17 wins are against terrible teams.

If QU gets bounced from their tournament, I think they’re in for an interesting comparison against teams like Tech and BG. I just don’t see it happening.
                        And 12 of QU's wins are against terrible teams. Their only real quality wins are against AIC.

If they get an autobid, fine. But in no way should they be considered as an at-large.

After watching both teams, QU is not better. The eye test will be crucial. If the last bid were to come down to these two, I'd be interested to hear the rationale on why the committee would select them.

Comment

And 12 of QU's wins are against terrible teams. Their only real quality wins are against AIC.

If they get an autobid, fine. But in no way should they be considered as an at-large.

After watching both teams, QU is not better. The eye test will be crucial. If the last bid were to come down to these two, I'd be interested to hear the rationale on why the committee would select them.
                          If it comes down to MTU and QU for an at-large bid, I don't like your chances. The primary reason is QU is from the east, and honestly we're going to be a little short of eastern teams this year, given that the AHA normally gets only one, the ECAC has so few teams and HE is a scrambled mess. I just don't see them taking 10 western teams and 6 eastern teams, which is what I see as the primary problem for teams like MTU, BSU, Notre Dame, maybe even Omaha.

Comment

WCHA probably gonna get 3 teams in and it looks like people will be crying for 4

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              WCHA probably gonna get 3 teams in and it looks like people will be crying for 4
                              My guess is nine teams from the west, seven from the east. In the east it will be four from HE. If the AHA and ECAC go chalk, the ninth team will be between Clarkson, maybe Army or RIT or maybe a fifth HE team.

In the west, six are pretty much locks (UND, SCSU, UMD, MSU, MN, Wis) and the last three will be between Omaha/NCHC upset autobid, Michigan/B1G upset autobid, and a big glut of WCHA teams. It wouldn't shock me to see the west go 3,3,3, especially if Omaha continues to falter down the stretch and there are no upset tourney winners.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                                And now that the DU-CC series has been canceled, the only way for DU to make the tourny is win the NCHC playoffs.
                                Anyone see what happens if CC can't play in the conference tourney due to Covid? As much as I'd hate to see things easier for UND, seems like it would make sense for them to get a bye in the first round and then Miami plays the #2 seed.

Comment

Working...
                                X