Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA Tourney Team Selection Options

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Huh, that sounds really familiar. Learn from my experience, there is no room for such logical talk around the NCHC fans in this thread who think they are getting a raw deal because they didn't get 63% of their conference in the tourney field, including teams with losing records. I've tried to have that discussion several times and several ways (lack of play between conferences, teams w/ losing records don't belong in the tourney field, if you can't finish in the top half of your conference you don't belong in the tourney, etc). Trust me, you'll get no logical replies.
    Your obsession is really unhealthy.
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

    R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

    SCSU 2015-16 scoring by class through 40 games
    Seniors: 210 points (71G, 139A) from 5 players
    Juniors: 39 points (8G, 31A) from 4 players
    Sophomores: 99 points (49G, 50A) from 5 players
    Freshmen: 129 points (43G, 86A) from 8 players

    Comment


    • Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      Huh, that sounds really familiar. Learn from my experience, there is no room for such logical talk around the NCHC fans in this thread who think they are getting a raw deal because they didn't get 63% of their conference in the tourney field, including teams with losing records. I've tried to have that discussion several times and several ways (lack of play between conferences, teams w/ losing records don't belong in the tourney field, if you can't finish in the top half of your conference you don't belong in the tourney, etc). Trust me, you'll get no logical replies.
      You should tell that to Omaha, who finished in the bottom half of the NCHC a few years ago, yet made the Frozen Four. Of course, they were seeded 8th overall in that tournament, even though they were the fifth best NCHC team.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by lakersparty View Post

        This is all nice and all, but Minnesota teams couldn't even beat the Upper Peninsula schools to get to the WCHA final.
        I can name you a dozen teams easily, who have lost in their conf tournaments who went on to do well in the NCAA tourney, and could almost do it without looking past the Gophers, lol.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          You should tell that to Omaha, who finished in the bottom half of the NCHC a few years ago, yet made the Frozen Four. Of course, they were seeded 8th overall in that tournament, even though they were the fifth best NCHC team.
          Well I would hope they could make the Frozen Four with the teams they played that year. Omaha beat Harvard and the #16 overall seed RIT in the regional final to get to the Frozen Four. Wow, pretty tough road. I hope UNO sent RIT an thank-you card for knocking out the #1 seed so that they wouldn't have to play them. That season Providence (who was the #4 seed in their region) beat Miami (7-5), beat Denver (4-1) to advance to the Frozen Four before beating Omaha 4-1. Five NCHC teams in the tourney and none of them even made the championship game...

          So yes, sorry to those that prefer to discuss opinions and perceptions over facts, but my "obsession" for factual based discussions will continue.
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            Well I would hope they could make the Frozen Four with the teams they played that year. Omaha beat Harvard and the #16 overall seed RIT in the regional final to get to the Frozen Four. Wow, pretty tough road. I hope UNO sent RIT an thank-you card for knocking out the #1 seed so that they wouldn't have to play them. That season Providence (who was the #4 seed in their region) beat Miami (7-5), beat Denver (4-1) to advance to the Frozen Four before beating Omaha 4-1. Five NCHC teams in the tourney and none of them even made the championship game...

            So yes, sorry to those that prefer to discuss opinions and perceptions over facts, but my "obsession" for factual based discussions will continue.
            That #1 seed that couldn't find a way to beat the lowly RIT was also the #1 overall seed that year, as I recall. Who was that again? Hmm. I'll have to go back and check. Probably from one of the power conferences.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

            Comment


            • What's great about this year is that even the bottom seed is good enough to upset the number 1. It would not surprise me at all for lower seeds to win games.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

              It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

              Comment


              • Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                What's great about this year is that even the bottom seed is good enough to upset the number 1. It would not surprise me at all for lower seeds to win games.
                Oh, I agree 100%. I was thinking about that yesterday. It wouldn't shock me if any of the #4 seeds won, or if they got swept. I could see the NCHC going 0-4 just as easily as they could go 4-0. I think this is a really balanced tournament.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

                  Oh, I agree 100%. I was thinking about that yesterday. It wouldn't shock me if any of the #4 seeds won, or if they got swept. I could see the NCHC going 0-4 just as easily as they could go 4-0. I think this is a really balanced tournament.
                  I don't have access to watch anything. And, there are very few non-conference games this year. So, just curious. On what basis do you call this a "really balanced tournament"?

                  Not arguing. Just asking.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    What's great about this year is that even the bottom seed is good enough to upset the number 1. It would not surprise me at all for lower seeds to win games.
                    If the basketball tournament is a predictor.... #BuckleUp
                    It Happened!!!!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Numbers View Post

                      I don't have access to watch anything. And, there are very few non-conference games this year. So, just curious. On what basis do you call this a "really balanced tournament"?

                      Not arguing. Just asking.
                      I guess just looking at the regions, and the mix of teams in them. There just seems to be a good mix of east and west teams, regular season and conference tourney winners, traditional powers and non-traditional powers, teams that even before the pandemic maybe hadn't played before or hadn't played recently.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

                      Comment


                      • Since the seismic Holy Cross upset of #1 seed Minnesota in 2006, the top seeds in regionals have been vulnerable.

                        Counting that 2006 field, there have been 56 number one seeds in a region (4 per tournament). 23 of them lost to the #4 seeded team in their first game, that's more than 41% of them. The 2005 tournament was the last one where all the #1 seeds won their opening game of the tournament.

                        2006
                        Holy Cross 4, Minnesota 3 (OT)

                        2007
                        UMass 1, Clarkson 0 (OT)
                        Miami 2, New Hampshire 1

                        2008
                        Notre Dame 7, New Hampshire 3

                        2009
                        Air Force 2, Michigan 0
                        Bemidji State 5, Notre Dame 1
                        Miami 4, Denver 2

                        2010
                        RIT 2, Denver 1

                        2011
                        Colorado College 8, Boston College 4
                        New Hampshire 3, Miami 1

                        2012
                        Cornell 3, Michigan 2 (OT)

                        2013
                        Yale 3, Minnesota 2 (OT)
                        St. Cloud State 5, Notre Dame 1

                        2014
                        North Dakota 5, Wisconsin 2

                        2015
                        RIT 2, Minnesota State 1
                        Providence 7, Miami 5

                        2016
                        Minnesota Duluth 3, Providence 2 (2OT)
                        Ferris State 5, St. Cloud State 4 (OT)

                        2017
                        Notre Dame 3, Minnesota 2

                        2018
                        Air Force 4, St. Cloud State 1
                        Boston University 3, Cornell 1

                        2019
                        American International 2, St. Cloud State 1
                        Providence 6, Minnesota State 3


                        Comment


                        • Things I hope happen:

                          The refs do a good job! ( I know dreaming)
                          Barry Melrose keeps his mouth shut. ( Dreaming)
                          The underdog teams rule the day. ( I am so sick of the big name teams getting all the ink)
                          No one gets hurt.
                          We don't have ice or facility issues
                          No one gets Covid from this.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

                          It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

                          Comment


                          • ND is out according to several reports with Covid positives. Past the deadline to add PC but NCAA should make exception here and put them in. 2.5 hour bus ride, rapide test PC and they bus in on Saturday for game.

                            Comment


                            • NO exceptions. Walkover win for BC I guess. Good, ND didn't belong there anyway.

                              The fact that BC could benefit is going to make for some amazing reading. Schlossman is going to have a heart attack.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                NO exceptions. Walkover win for BC I guess. Good, ND didn't belong there anyway.

                                The fact that BC could benefit is going to make for some amazing reading. Schlossman is going to have a heart attack.
                                Real issue is BC gets to sit there and rest while St Cloud plays BU and winner has to play another game in less than 24 hours. Not ideal. Everyone else has to win 4 games to win title and BC has to only win 3.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X