NCAA Tourney Team Selection Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

North Dakota has said that they did not play a role in picking the time Friday, so I assume ESPN.
    Speaking of television slots... You would think for television purposes they would have jumped at the chance to put Notre Dame on Saturday night but that one got slotted at 1 pm on a Saturday afternoon.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
      Concerning Wodon and Moy....

Usually Wodon overthinks things, and that was true this year also. Usually Moy is more 'by the book'. In recent years, the committee has usually gone for "start by the book, and then make easy changes to get better attendance."
      While they are bubba’s, at least they are 2 guys who talk about it and give us something to read.....
      otherwise..
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        ELEVEN Former WCHA Teams made the NCAA Tournament. That's insane.

1. North Dakota
        3. Minnesota
        4. Wisconsin
        6. Minnesota State
        7. St. Cloud State
        8. Michigan
        9. Minnesota Duluth
        12. LSSU
        13. Bemidji State
        14. Nebraska Omaha
        15. Notre Dame
        I predicted this exact situation soon after hearing that PSU was going Div 1 meaning the creation of a B1G conf, the breaking up of the CCHA and the creation of the NCHC, effectively dividing up the old WCHA's teams into 3 different conferences, transforming one conference that was basically too good for it's own good, and another that struggled to compete, into 2 conferences almost perfectly balanced for maximizing their potential to get teams into the tourney and a 3rd almost as good as the old CCHA. Fans of B1G schools coming out of the WCHA were not very happy about their having to now be in the B1G vs the WCHA, so individually, Gopher fans most particularly, feel this did not help their team, and they are right, made it much easier for other Minnesota based teams to recruit against UMn and UW, so now we see ALL FIVE Minnesota based teams in the NCAA tourney, something that was basically impossible in the old format. And not only are they all in the Tourney field, they are spread out in a way that there could end up being an all Minnesota Frozen Four. It'd be a long shot with the top 2 Mn based teams in the same Region, but it's very realistic to imagine 3 getting in, so the only miracle that might be needed would be Bemidji's getting by 2 higher seeded teams. I think sh1t like this makes the tourney a bit more interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

They will now go on to win the whole thing
          I sure in the heck hope not! lol Never been a fan of Notre Dame, and only will cheer for them if they end up going up against BC/BU or Mich/Wisc. Crazy thing is the way this tourney is set up, I could end up cheering for Notre Dame 3 or 4 times?

Comment

• Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post

I predicted this exact situation soon after hearing that PSU was going Div 1 meaning the creation of a B1G conf, the breaking up of the CCHA and the creation of the NCHC, effectively dividing up the old WCHA's teams into 3 different conferences, transforming one conference that was basically too good for it's own good, and another that struggled to compete, into 2 conferences almost perfectly balanced for maximizing their potential to get teams into the tourney and a 3rd almost as good as the old CCHA. Fans of B1G schools coming out of the WCHA were not very happy about their having to now be in the B1G vs the WCHA, so individually, Gopher fans most particularly, feel this did not help their team, and they are right, made it much easier for other Minnesota based teams to recruit against UMn and UW, so now we see ALL FIVE Minnesota based teams in the NCAA tourney, something that was basically impossible in the old format. And not only are they all in the Tourney field, they are spread out in a way that there could end up being an all Minnesota Frozen Four. It'd be a long shot with the top 2 Mn based teams in the same Region, but it's very realistic to imagine 3 getting in, so the only miracle that might be needed would be Bemidji's getting by 2 higher seeded teams. I think sh1t like this makes the tourney a bit more interesting.
            The Beavers have done it before...
            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post

This is all nice and all, but Minnesota teams couldn't even beat the Upper Peninsula schools to get to the WCHA final.

Comment

• Originally posted by lakersparty View Post

This is all nice and all, but Minnesota teams couldn't even beat the Upper Peninsula schools to get to the WCHA final.
                Word.
                You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

• Originally posted by lakersparty View Post

Love this. Good luck to Lake State!

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                    I haven't heard any post-selection analysis, but I would suppose the only thing interesting is Notre Dame instead of Providence, right?
                    I'd like to hear official reasoning on Bemidji over Bowling Green (more wins vs top teams instead of pairwise?) and Why a 4th from NCHA & BigTen instead of another Atlantic team (Eye test has to be the only reason, right? Or would they really cite historical conference performance)?

Comment

• Mike Kemp mentioned Bemidji's record against top teams in WCHA compared to BG. BG was 1-7 or something and Bemidji had tougher schedule. The loss to NMU finished BG off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                        So, will the hockey tournament be as crazy as the basketball tournament has been? I've got an AIC-Quinnipiac final. *smilie*
                        That's why in a year like this one, I would have liked to have seen another Atlantic team (or 2) get a shot. They probably are not as good as the other conferences; but, that hasn't really been proven on the ice this year.

How crazy can the tournament really get? Quinnipiac's been to the frozen four recently. I think about the craziest thing one could hope for is a AIC/Omaha final, with Bemidji or LSSU also making the frozen four. I'm not sure that anyone in the BC/ND/SCSU/BU region would be a complete shocker. I guess Notre Dame being the last team in; but, they've also had recent success.

I would have been more intrigued to watch an AIC/BC first round matchup then Notre Dame (replacing Notre Dame with Canisius or Army and slotting them into the #16 overall)

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Mike Kemp mentioned Bemidji's record against top teams in WCHA compared to BG. BG was 1-7 or something and Bemidji had tougher schedule. The loss to NMU finished BG off.
                          Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
                            That's why in a year like this one, I would have liked to have seen another Atlantic team (or 2) get a shot. They probably are not as good as the other conferences; but, that hasn't really been proven on the ice this year.
                            Huh, that sounds really familiar. Learn from my experience, there is no room for such logical talk around the NCHC fans in this thread who think they are getting a raw deal because they didn't get 63% of their conference in the tourney field, including teams with losing records. I've tried to have that discussion several times and several ways (lack of play between conferences, teams w/ losing records don't belong in the tourney field, if you can't finish in the top half of your conference you don't belong in the tourney, etc). Trust me, you'll get no logical replies.

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• With AIC not playing since January, I thought there was a decent chance they would have gotten an at large had they lost the conference tournament. I can't really get on the committee for not putting Canisius or Army in. AIC got swept by Quinnipiac and a lot of people questioned QUs body of work. With that said, considering BG swept Quinnipiac...had the committee put them in ahead of Notre Dame I would have been ok with that. Plus you could had Jerry York taking on his old team! Better storyline than the boring Jeff Jackson.

I am a Hockey East "fan" and have no issue with HE only getting 3 in. That's why they are bubble teams. There was no egregious mistake in putting in Omaha/ND/Bemidji and leaving out the likes of PC/BG/DU/Canisius/Army.

Comment

• Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post

I'd like to hear official reasoning on Bemidji over Bowling Green (more wins vs top teams instead of pairwise?) and Why a 4th from NCHA & BigTen instead of another Atlantic team (Eye test has to be the only reason, right? Or would they really cite historical conference performance)?
                                In the USCHO podcast Kemp said that an important factor was wins against other tournament teams. He singled out Notre Dame and Omaha as two teams that benefited from this.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X