X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And BC tied one of those games!

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      BC always schedules home and home series with Denver, Wisconsin, played at Arizona State for two, Mich/Mich State. Not sure where you are getting your info from.

Pretty sure he's talking about this year's BC and QU, not the mediocre BC team you're referring to.
      You are correct. BC's a big name and fills the stands, so understand why they get the invites. Never questioning the quality or coaching of the top Midwest teams, we just rarely see a "national" footprint until the NCAA's start. Maybe I'm scarred, grew up on the range and could never get the cities teams to play us

Comment

• Hockey East teams rarely get on a plane because they don't need to do so. Nearly the entirety of three conferences (HE, ECAC, AH) is within a 10 hour radius of Boston. In looking at their member team schedules the last couple seasons (not even considering 2020-21 as no one traveled) I would say a very generous average would be 0.5 road trips that require a flight per season, per team. (I did not consider Notre Dame in that number as they were a conference member.) Meaning about once every two years a Hockey East team takes a non-conference road trip that requires a plane (that isn't the NCAA tournament). A long road trip for a Hockey East team is nine hours, and that is if the bus breaks down for four of those hours. From what I remember U-Conn to Maine was the worst trip in Hockey East and that was about a 5 hour drive.

A lot of trips for Western teams, 5 hours is the first rest stop, then back on the bus. In looking at the WCHA, and I'm going to even ignore UAH and the Alaska schools and just look at bus trips, by comparison, the worst WCHA road trip is Bemidji - Bowling Green which is 14 hours. Then throw the three UA_ schools back in the mix and you start to understand why the CCHA is reforming. The WCHA v2.0 was unsustainable from a travel standpoint.
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          Hockey East teams rarely get on a plane because they don't need to do so. Nearly the entirety of three conferences (HE, ECAC, AH) is within a 10 hour radius of Boston. In looking at their member team schedules the last couple seasons (not even considering 2020-21 as no one traveled) I would say a very generous average would be 0.5 road trips that require a flight per season, per team. (I did not consider Notre Dame in that number as they were a conference member.) Meaning about once every two years a Hockey East team takes a non-conference road trip that requires a plane (that isn't the NCAA tournament). A long road trip for a Hockey East team is nine hours, and that is if the bus breaks down for four of those hours. From what I remember U-Conn to Maine was the worst trip in Hockey East and that was about a 5 hour drive.

A lot of trips for Western teams, 5 hours is the first rest stop, then back on the bus. In looking at the WCHA, and I'm going to even ignore UAH and the Alaska schools and just look at bus trips, by comparison, the worst WCHA road trip is Bemidji - Bowling Green which is 14 hours. Then throw the three UA_ schools back in the mix and you start to understand why the CCHA is reforming. The WCHA v2.0 was unsustainable from a travel standpoint.
          Great info! Do you think that is by design, or by availability? Every normal year you have ECAC and HE east teams headed overseas for a tourny, so travel can't be an issue. Would much rather see a get together in Duluth in Jan than Dublin.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronRange View Post
            While I live in the midwest, I can't believe how Midwest biased this chain is. I'd love to see some of the so called power houses of the Midwest play BC or QU. It's a completely different style game. (Both have 2 players in the top 10 Hobey finalist btw) Last thing college hockey needs is a bunch of Busch Lt drinking folks watching UMD and UND beating each others brains in again. We have one chance to make this a "national" championship this season, hope the committee realizes that.
            Sort of like they did with the women’s bracket?
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              Hockey East teams rarely get on a plane because they don't need to do so. Nearly the entirety of three conferences (HE, ECAC, AH) is within a 10 hour radius of Boston. In looking at their member team schedules the last couple seasons (not even considering 2020-21 as no one traveled) I would say a very generous average would be 0.5 road trips that require a flight per season, per team. (I did not consider Notre Dame in that number as they were a conference member.) Meaning about once every two years a Hockey East team takes a non-conference road trip that requires a plane (that isn't the NCAA tournament). A long road trip for a Hockey East team is nine hours, and that is if the bus breaks down for four of those hours. From what I remember U-Conn to Maine was the worst trip in Hockey East and that was about a 5 hour drive.

You first said BC. I haven't studied other schedules but BC has traveled west a lot to play a lot of different teams.

Comment

• I think 0.5 is low. Without looking it up UMass played at Denver last season and at Ohio State the season before. Doubt they bussed to either of them but I suppose it’s possible.
                #NewMass

Comment

• Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                  I think 0.5 is low. Without looking it up UMass played at Denver last season and at Ohio State the season before. Doubt they bussed to either of them but I suppose it’s possible.
                  They bussed to tOSU, only time they got on a plane was to Buffalo.

Comment

• Lowell right on PCs heels in KRACH. If Lowell loses to UMass and Hockey East has to put forth their bubble option, who gets the nod?

Comment

• In five seasons living in Colorado and watching games at DU and CC, I’ve seen BC (3x), UMA (2x), BU, PC, MC, UNH, UML and UVM.

if you’re not getting HE teams in your building it may be that YOUR staff has other scheduling plans...
                      Last edited by Dan; 03-17-2021, 09:31 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

• What changes with BC losing? Probably not much. Do they lose their #1 seed? I don't think so. Still probably ranked above Wisconsin and St Cloud. I can't see any other way, because the committee isn't going with 4 Western #1s.

Only thing that really happens is Lowell still has a chance to mess up everyone's bracket.

Put Lowell in and you get:
                        West....3 from NCHC, 3 from B10, 2 from WCHA
                        East....4 from HE, 1 each AHA and ECAC.
                        Leaves 2 spots for Prov (HEA #5?) LSSU, Omaha, or at at-large from AHA. Personally, I take LSSU and Omaha, and leave PC out.
                        Last edited by Numbers; 03-17-2021, 10:45 PM. Reason: Originally had 2 from B10 - it was a typo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

There is nothing you could say or do that would offend me.

ND is the clear to beat and I don't think its close.
                          You don't think that BC/Mankato/WI/MN have a collective shot?

The dearth of comparative data renders these arguments specious, but I suspect that UND isn't looking at anything like a cakewalk.

Comment

• I'm most intrigued by Lowell losing to UMass in say an OT heartbreaker...would committee take PC or UML if they take a 4th HE team. I can't see 5 being taken.

Comment

• s
                              Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              I'm most intrigued by Lowell losing to UMass in say an OT heartbreaker...would committee take PC or UML if they take a 4th HE team. I can't see 5 being taken.
                              PC. No question. Winning a semi in double OT isn't that valuable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                                What changes with BC losing? Probably not much. Do they lose their #1 seed? I don't think so. Still probably ranked above Wisconsin and St Cloud. I can't see any other way, because the committee isn't going with 4 Western #1s.

Only thing that really happens is Lowell still has a chance to mess up everyone's bracket.

Put Lowell in and you get:
                                West....3 from NCHC, 2 from B10, 2 from WCHA
                                East....4 from HE, 1 each AHA and ECAC.
                                Leaves 2 spots for Prov (HEA #5?) LSSU, Omaha, or at at-large from AHA. Personally, I take LSSU and Omaha, and leave PC out.
                                The B1G is going to get three teams, minimum. No chance it’s two.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X