Northeastern Huskies 2020-21: A Season Like No Other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northeastern Huskies 2020-21: A Season Like No Other

We’re down to scarcely more than 24 hours (and counting) before puck drop so it’s finally looking like we’ll have a season of some sort. Nobody knows what that season might look like but at least it looks like a season. Harder than usual to make predictions given that NU has yet to play a game, so conditioning is going to play a big role in the early going. Although the pre-season prognostications I've read have NU finishing in the middle tier, I can see them making a run for the top IF… 1) The Young Turks, led by Sam Colangelo, Gunnarwolfe Fontaine, and the Jackson twins can produce up front to balance out what should be a veteran shut-down defense, and 2) Winderkind goaltender Devon Levi indeed proves to be the second coming of Cayden Primeau.

Bear in mind that, besides Levi, NU will start the season without the much heralded Colangelo, who is likely to make the Team USA final cut. Levi was officially selected to Team Canada on the heels of a 36-save shutout in Canada's last intrasquad scrimmage. So, both will be out of the picture at least until early January.

Something else to watch: Unlike his recent suave predecessors, the guy who’ll wear the “C” this year (Zach Solow) wears his heart on his sleeve and is something of a firebrand. That’s shapes up as a net plus given all the emotional ups and downs endured so far and still to come in this COVID-wracked year.

Hoping and praying we get to see a reasonable season. And BTW, NU has officially announced (to nobody's surprise) that no spectators will be allowed at Matthews in 2020. Will reconsider for 2021 based on the public health situation.

Finally, a huge shout-out to all the scientists and researchers who have pulled off a modern miracle by producing multiple apparently reliable vaccines in a fraction of what is considered normal vaccine development time.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Looking forward to watching the game online, that's a 6pm start tonight. Hopefully the Army/Navy game ends just in time.
    Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
    —H. L. Mencken

Comment

It's only one game but...
      • Scoring was distributed through four lines. Encouraging, since you can't have too much productive depth.
      • Connor Murphy looked poised and comfortable in goal. Wasn't tested consistently but made a few key saves early on and seemed to have good rebound control. Can't fault him on either of the two Mack goals.
      • Puck possession and O-zone time heavily tilted in NU's favor.
      • Defense appears to be as advertised. Not only in terms of protecting the net but also carrying the puck up-ice.
      • Conditioning doesn't appear to be a problem coming off the long layoff.
      Happy to finally see them get a game in. Hoping and praying this is just the start of a meaningful season.

Comment

A 6 point weekend, lots of scoring from lots of players. I am not certain MC isn't in a total rebuild, but I'll take it. GO HUSKIES!

Comment

Offbeat observations after two games:
          • While most of the pre-season hype about the incoming freshmen centered on Sam Colangelo, Gunnarwolfe Fontaine, and Devon Levi, it seems we will all learn how to properly pronounce "Agriogianis" rather quickly.
          • For his part, Gunnarwolfe seemed not only fast and slick but also not bashful about sticking his nose into the dirty areas.
          Both are locks to make the All-Name team.
          Last edited by Split-N; 12-14-2020, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I began wondering something tonight I never stopped to think about before. How does the co-op year work for athletes? Do they take it while playing? Do they take it the year after playing? Do they get their costs covered for a fifth year? Never considered it before.
            #NewMass

Comment

It was rebound city for Connor Murphy against a quality offensive team. Easily his worst game of the year. And goaltending issues notwithstanding, another overall blah performance.

Seeming inability to close out games when they hold a late lead is disturbing.
              Last edited by Split-N; 01-02-2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I didn’t watch the game but listened to the UMass broadcast. Sounded like NU dominated the third period and outside the two UMass goals, seemed like the entire period was played in the UMass end. I think a lot of games between these two the past 10-15 years has come down to who has had the better goalie, and I think last night was no exception. Was relieved when the game was over. Really thought UMass was lucky to come away with three points.
                #NewMass

Comment

Mark Divver @MarkDivver
                  Northeastern's Devon Levi says his injury is a fractured rib, which he played with at WJC, and he'll be out for six weeks

Comment

I'm not sure whether or not the NCAA gave everyone an extra year of eligibility, even if they play this season. But, if not, Levi would seem to be a candidate for a medical redshirt. I just can't see the merit in rushing him back to play what might only be a relatively few games.

Some of the Canadian media claim Levi's injury is a cracked (not fractured) rib. I've had both in my lifetime and can testify that both are incredibly painful. How Levi played through the entire WJC with that injury and picked up three shutouts along the way is almost mind-boggling. Hope for his sake that there are no lasting effects.

Comment

NCAA has given all players another of year of eligibility. This year counts for nothing in terms of their NCAA eligibility so he should still have 4 years after this season. In an interview, Levi said injured his rib making a save and twisting and not from absorbing a shot as some stated. He took Tylenol for the discomfort.

Comment

Solow gets mentionned as as candidate for an NHL contract ... do you think he could get it done? grit? skating? hockey-iq? scoring-touch? defense?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Danger View Post
                          Solow gets mentioned as as candidate for an NHL contract ... do you think he could get it done? grit? skating? hockey-iq? scoring-touch? defense?
                          He's certainly not shy about about mucking around in the dirty areas and is known for stirring things up. So I'd think he'd be high on any team's "grit list." And he has a knack for tipping pucks into nets. Pro prospects aside, this guy's growth and development has been really impressive. IIRC, he was something of a spare part when he first arrived at NU.

Comment

So no Beanpot tonight? It doesn't sound like we're getting that much snow!

Comment

It's been too up and down, I really am not sure who this NU team is. That said hats off to the number one in the nation lady huskies who are on their way to the hockey east final.

Comment

Working...
                              X