Iowa, Nebraska are possibilities for Big Ten hockey: Startribune.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    I understand what you are saying but we all know the old WCHA is never coming back. IMO, I love seeing new schools add the game of ice hockey because it means more Minnesotans will be recruited to their top quality Big Ten school.
    Attendance at UW is terrible and I thought it was the same at Minnesota?

There’s No doubt expansion is good for the sport overall and the quality and depth of Minnesota HS hockey can definitely stock at least 3 d1 teams with all Minnesota rosters. I’m Jealous!
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
      Not sure I qualify as an old timer (I was very young/watching the replays on PBS); but, I'd say Michigan and Michigan St were as big of rivals as Denver, CC, Duluth and Tech, if not bigger. Gophers and Sioux are 1,2...but after that, Michigan and Sparty are right there.

I miss the WCHA and the final 5 tournament too - the geography and easy travel made it great. But, that's gone. And I think many of the fans/graduates from the late 80's and 90's forget or don't realize how big the other rivalries were, because if they weren't watching as kids, they missed out on those conference games before they left to go to the CCHA. Even then, there was the showcase where Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan St were playing each other every year (with locations rotating).
      Great post. I started watching on tape delay in 84 and season tix with family starting in 85. I don’t Recall Michigan and MSU as big rivals but I did like the concept of the b10 challenge that started around 94? I’d prefer that to a conference.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Re: Iowa, Nebraska are possibilities for Big Ten hockey: Startribune.com

From what I have been told today rumor has it the USHL looked into this area for expansion but the USHL backed out because rumors of U of Iowa joining the icebox where too noisy for the league to move on it.
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Iowa cutting a fair few sports after this school year due to economic fallout of the pandemic.

Whatever odds we had for them given the “rumors” (and the arena that could possibly have ice), knock em down a peg or two.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            Iowa cutting a fair few sports after this school year due to economic fallout of the pandemic.

Whatever odds we had for them given the “rumors” (and the arena that could possibly have ice), knock em down a peg or two.
            https://www.thehawkeye.com/story/new...rena/42109659/

Schamberger said they are within a couple of weeks of finalizing an agreement with a hockey team tenant and said "there's been some good movement on that as of late." He expects an announcement to be made in the next few weeks. A letter of intent also has been completed for the arena's team store, Schamberger said.

Comment

Granted: that was published in June, before Iowa announced dropping a few sports.

The phrasing is interesting there. Suppose that was a potential USHL tenant as opposed to the Hawkeyes?
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                Granted: that was published in June, before Iowa announced dropping a few sports.

The phrasing is interesting there. Suppose that was a potential USHL tenant as opposed to the Hawkeyes?
                I will ask around and find out. It could even be a NAHL franchise.

Comment

The ECHL and SPHL have been courting the market as well. The ECHL commish recently said they didn’t have an interested ownership group yet but that could one of those “it ain’t totally true but it also ain’t wrong” if the ownership hasn’t officially applied yet.

Comment

Rumor has it the USHL wanted to have a franchise play in Xtream arena but the owners told the USHL they could only have a five year lease. So they backed out. I asked why? Iowa will likely play here if the school wants field a team. I haven't received anymore info. IMO, this project hasn't started same with the Huskers.

Comment

Working...
                    X