Michigan Hockey 2020-2021 Yost town feels like a ghost town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostOfYost View Post

Don't forget, we still have the possibility of making up three games that were postponed due to the pause. 2 with Penn State and 1 with sparty, all games at Yost. The single sparty game will be easy to make up. The 2 with Penn State is a little more challenging.
    Based on how we are playing right now, well.... we may not make up many points.

Comment

Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

I can't disagree. 3-2 ohio tonight. That was a team loss but Portillo looked very shaky tonight.

Comment

The ship has been righted. 6-0 tonight, but yes ohio state sucks that bad. I'm still annoyed about last night.

Comment

The hard part is if they can really find the consistency- the one and done tournament makes that a real problem. Considering how good they have looked playing, the 12-8 record kind of points out there are significant issues.

Comment

Don't forget, we still have the possibility of making up three games that were postponed due to the pause. 2 with Penn State and 1 with sparty, all games at Yost. The single sparty game will be easy to make up. The 2 with Penn State is a little more challenging.
            That game with Li'l Brother was added back in for Wed. Mar. 10. That still leaves the weekend of Mar. 12/13 available with the b1G tourney starting on the 18th.

That must have happened on Friday when the B1G announced the jiggling of the basketball schedule.
            Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
            Row 1
            Seats 6 & 7
            Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post

That game with Li'l Brother was added back in for Wed. Mar. 10. That still leaves the weekend of Mar. 12/13 available with the b1G tourney starting on the 18th.

That must have happened on Friday when the B1G announced the jiggling of the basketball schedule.
              Incorrect. The March 10th game was already scheduled. I'm still guessing that PSU will be rescheduled for sometime (maybe) and the sparty game will be March 11th. Of course it looks like the B1G is going by percentage in standings, not actual games/points. The one game with moo is almost guaranteed, the series with PSU is in question now.

Comment

The hard part is if they can really find the consistency- the one and done tournament makes that a real problem. Considering how good they have looked playing, the 12-8 record kind of points out there are significant issues.

It's only 4 games. Any team can get hot and ride their goalie to a National Championship. My proof, 2007 sparty. They finished in 4th place in the CCHA that year, squeaked into the tournament in the last spot, and Lerg stood on his head giving them a National Championship. Well that and the team was rebelling against Comely and playing how they wanted.

Comment

The ship has been righted. 6-0 tonight, but yes ohio state sucks that bad. I'm still annoyed about last night.
                  To be honest I thought this would have been Friday's score as well going into the weekend with how our season has gone but we'll take a win if you give it to us.

Comment

It's only 4 games. Any team can get hot and ride their goalie to a National Championship. My proof, 2007 sparty. They finished in 4th place in the CCHA that year, squeaked into the tournament in the last spot, and Lerg stood on his head giving them a National Championship. Well that and the team was rebelling against Comely and playing how they wanted.
                    Last year, as the season was ending, I had a LOT more confidence that they could put together 4 games in a row. This year, I don't. Even though the team is more talented, and has much more dynamic play- it's just that even with the 2021 play being really good, it's not consistent enough.

It's certainly possible that we can, that's no question- it happens every year that *someone* does it- and Spary isn't the only team to pull that off when they were far from expected to do it.

I just don't have the confidence like I did a year ago.

Comment

This team can win the blowouts, but have really struggled in the close games. They have had the following weekends in 2021: UM 9 - MSU 0, then MSU 3-UM 2,
                      UM 5 - Wisconsin 1, then Wisconsin 3 - Michigan 2, OSU 3 - Michigan 2, then UM 6 - OSU 0.

Earlier this year: ND 3 - UM 2, ND 2 - UM 1

Other than the OT win in Wiscy earlier this year, Michigan has pretty much come up on the short end of the close games. 1-5 in one goal games. Not sure if that is just some bad luck (kinda like one run games in baseball, in some seasons, certain teams tend to excel in those situations, but that it usually tends to even out as the season continues on). That could be due to youth, and not making all the necessary plays in the tight games, or as others have mentioned, just inconsistent play (especially, no offense, in the MSU and OSU series).
                      Infrequent poster, frequent reader.

Comment

Last year, as the season was ending, I had a LOT more confidence that they could put together 4 games in a row. This year, I don't. Even though the team is more talented, and has much more dynamic play- it's just that even with the 2021 play being really good, it's not consistent enough.

It's certainly possible that we can, that's no question- it happens every year that *someone* does it- and Spary isn't the only team to pull that off when they were far from expected to do it.

I just don't have the confidence like I did a year ago.
                        In order to "just win 4 games" you have to win enough games to be given the chance at winning the last 4. Right now Michigan sits at 19 in the pairwise. Other than looking that up, I know nothing about the pairwise this year or how the lack of non-conference games has effected it.

I have no confidence that this team can string together enough wins for a conference tournament, let alone a run after that.
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

How can it possibly be Senior Night? I'm sad about not going to Yost all season, but not being there for Senior Night feels extra awful.

Thank you Seniors. It's been fun watching you these last 4 years, 3 of which we got to see in person.
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            How can it possibly be Senior Night? I'm sad about not going to Yost all season, but not being there for Senior Night feels extra awful.

Thank you Seniors. It's been fun watching you these last 4 years, 3 of which we got to see in person.
                            Apparently they are doing a live stream on the FB page.... but I'm not a FB member.

Crazy how this year went so fast for them.

Comment

Originally posted by kjaskolski View Post
                              This team can win the blowouts, but have really struggled in the close games. They have had the following weekends in 2021: UM 9 - MSU 0, then MSU 3-UM 2,
                              UM 5 - Wisconsin 1, then Wisconsin 3 - Michigan 2, OSU 3 - Michigan 2, then UM 6 - OSU 0.

Earlier this year: ND 3 - UM 2, ND 2 - UM 1

Other than the OT win in Wiscy earlier this year, Michigan has pretty much come up on the short end of the close games. 1-5 in one goal games. Not sure if that is just some bad luck (kinda like one run games in baseball, in some seasons, certain teams tend to excel in those situations, but that it usually tends to even out as the season continues on). That could be due to youth, and not making all the necessary plays in the tight games, or as others have mentioned, just inconsistent play (especially, no offense, in the MSU and OSU series).
                              Point taken.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

In order to "just win 4 games" you have to win enough games to be given the chance at winning the last 4. Right now Michigan sits at 19 in the pairwise. Other than looking that up, I know nothing about the pairwise this year or how the lack of non-conference games has effected it.

I have no confidence that this team can string together enough wins for a conference tournament, let alone a run after that.
                                I haven't heard anything (and no I haven't looked) but I have a feeling that the pairwise will be scrapped for this year. AIC is 7th right now. True they get their conference auto-bid pretty much every year but that's all they do. I'm not sure how they will do it but with no non-conference matchups that put teams in better conferences at a distinct disadvantage. And as you can see teams like AIC (a crappy team in a worse conference) sitting pretty.

That being said Michigan's lack of consistency troubles me.

I guess that I should have looked before posting.

"Disclaimer for the 2020-2021 Season: Due to a limited amount of cross-conference play this season, the PairWise Rankings will not be the sole determinant of this year’s NCAA tournament field. Subjectivity of an advisory committee will guide the selection of at-large teams and tournament seeding.

*Team's RPI has been adjusted to remove negative effect from defeating weak opponent.

The PairWise Ranking is a system which attempts to mimic the method used by the NCAA Selection Committee to determine participants for the NCAA Division I men's hockey tournament. The PWR compares all teams by these criteria: record against common opponents, head-to-head competition, and the RPI.

For each comparison won, a team receives one point. The final PWR ranking is based on the number of points (comparisons) won. Ties are settled by the RPI.

A more complete explanation of the workings of the PWR is also available in our FAQ. There is also a FAQ available explaining the NCAA Tournament selection process.

The PWR can be reformatted and redistributed by any media outlet or person, provided USCHO's URL (https://www.uscho.com/) accompanies the results.

Note: A team's record is based only on games against other Division I hockey schools which are eligible for the NCAA Tournament."

Last edited by GhostOfYost; 03-01-2021, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X