Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michigan just shut down Athletics for two weeks

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ks/6694672002/
    Last edited by The Zlax45; 01-24-2021, 10:04 PM.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
      Michigan just shut down Athletics for two weeks
      This was because people tested for the new variant, close to athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

This was because people tested for the new variant, close to athletics.
        You'd do best to ignore Zlax's posts.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

You'd do best to ignore Zlax's posts.
          Just saying why.

Comment

Just saying why.
            Understood, makes sense. But engaging with Zlax will only end with you facepalming.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

At least now I don't have to try and remember about Wednesday/Thursday games next week.
              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
              7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Apparently this was not mandated by the school or conference but under Michigan's insane governor's directives through the health dept.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                  Apparently this was not mandated by the school or conference but under Michigan's insane governor's directives through the health dept.
                  Given the progress in this state WRT Covid infections and deaths, I would not characterize our governor nor the directives as insane.

"Patient Zero" is an athlete who traveled to the UK and back, and the contact tracing prompted this- as well as a directive that if you were in some stores in the area during a specific time- you get tested ASAP.

Comment

Given the progress in this state WRT Covid infections and deaths, I would not characterize our governor nor the directives as insane.

"Patient Zero" is an athlete who traveled to the UK and back, and the contact tracing prompted this- as well as a directive that if you were in some stores in the area during a specific time- you get tested ASAP.
                    Sorry but she IS a nut job and if she was in the right Michigan's Supreme Court wouldn't have ruled against her. The vast majority of my family lives in Michigan and I know of many businesses I solicit there who have been devastated by her and who may not recover.
                    You can rebuttal all you like about safety and saving lives but you will have those who agree with you and there will be those who agree with me. We have covid topics on forum here so I'm not going any further with this but the protocols the university has are adequate for student safety, they shouldn't have been forced to cancel EVERYTHING!

Comment

Sorry but she IS a nut job and if she was in the right Michigan's Supreme Court wouldn't have ruled against her. The vast majority of my family lives in Michigan and I know of many businesses I solicit there who have been devastated by her and who may not recover.
                      You can rebuttal all you like about safety and saving lives but you will have those who agree with you and there will be those who agree with me. We have covid topics on forum here so I'm not going any further with this but the protocols the university has are adequate for student safety, they shouldn't have been forced to cancel EVERYTHING!
                      ok, but if there was a better response from the government who could afford it, the shut downs would have been compensated for- and we would have had a win-win for everyone. Instead, we are all forced to go on our own, with almost no resources. Having seen the response to no shut down, I far prefer what we have. BTW, the MI Supreme Court judgement was that the emergency power time ran out, not that they were invalid. Which is why they were in place for an additional 21 days post judgement.

In terms of the athletics shutting down- it's a game. They all get to go to school on their scholarships, earn their degrees, and the good ones have been noted enough that they will still go pro. Missing two weeks isn't going to be a big deal. Heck, given the total lack of income from ticket sales, this saves money.
                      Last edited by MichVandal; 01-25-2021, 10:25 AM.

Comment

ok, but if there was a better response from the government who could afford it, the shut downs would have been compensated for- and we would have had a win-win for everyone. Instead, we are all forced to go on our own, with almost no resources. Having seen the response to no shut down, I far prefer what we have. BTW, the MI Supreme Court judgement was that the emergency power time ran out, not that they were invalid. Which is why they were in place for an additional 21 days post judgement.

In terms of the athletics shutting down- it's a game. They all get to go to school on their scholarships, earn their degrees, and the good ones have been noted enough that they will still go pro. Missing two weeks isn't going to be a big deal. Heck, given the total lack of income from ticket sales, this saves money.
                        Just to add to my summary that a total shutdown was not needed or warranted here's the student athlete's take on it. Also here on USCHO read the story about what Mel said about it as well.

https://www.michigandaily.com/sectio...eir-grievances

Comment

Just to add to my summary that a total shutdown was not needed or warranted here's the student athlete's take on it. Also here on USCHO read the story about what Mel said about it as well.

https://www.michigandaily.com/sectio...eir-grievances
                          It is what it is, and the athletes need to move on. It's not as if they are losing anything. Other than playing a game. They still get all of the benefits of being a student athlete, and have the same opportunities. And it's not as if the seasons has been canceled.

Forgive me for giving the benefit of the doubt to doctors as opposed to athletes.

Comment

It is what it is, and the athletes need to move on. It's not as if they are losing anything. Other than playing a game. They still get all of the benefits of being a student athlete, and have the same opportunities. And it's not as if the seasons has been canceled.

Forgive me for giving the benefit of the doubt to doctors as opposed to athletes.
                            What doctors? The B1G conference has the strictest Covid protocols in all of college athletics. Every member school has medical centers that are cutting edge in medicine in this country and whose doctors have contributed to the rules the conference follows and monitor and work with the CDC on a daily basis and you are implying the Michigan Department of Health is a source of greater knowledge on the subject?
                            I'm not trying to be insulting to you but I'm pretty certain the current protocols were more than adequate.

Comment

What doctors? The B1G conference has the strictest Covid protocols in all of college athletics. Every member school has medical centers that are cutting edge in medicine in this country and whose doctors have contributed to the rules the conference follows and monitor and work with the CDC on a daily basis and you are implying the Michigan Department of Health is a source of greater knowledge on the subject?
                              I'm not trying to be insulting to you but I'm pretty certain the current protocols were more than adequate.
                              Michigan Dept of Heath has more info than the athletes (and there are Doctors as part of the Dept of Health). If Ward Manuel had better info to say that this should have been held off, then he should have done more. What we don't know is who are the infected people and how much coverage did they have within the athletic department. That's the part that got the whole thing shut down. I'm pretty sure the the athletes don't know that, either. And thanks to HIPPA laws, that will never come out.

Ward Manuel probably does, since he had to have been presented with the data to shut down for 2 week- or at least a list of people who could have spread it.

When combining the data that this new strain spreads considerably quicker, and there's a tiny window to prevent it from spreading- this move makes sense to me. Especially when looking at the losses- which are some games and the ONE cross country event all year for the B1G.

BTW, given how there's still a hangover of the CDC from the previous administration, yes, for now, I do put more trust in the Michigan Department of Health. Especially when they are directly involved.

Comment

Michigan Dept of Heath has more info than the athletes (and there are Doctors as part of the Dept of Health). If Ward Manuel had better info to say that this should have been held off, then he should have done more. What we don't know is who are the infected people and how much coverage did they have within the athletic department. That's the part that got the whole thing shut down. I'm pretty sure the the athletes don't know that, either. And thanks to HIPPA laws, that will never come out.

Ward Manuel probably does, since he had to have been presented with the data to shut down for 2 week- or at least a list of people who could have spread it.

When combining the data that this new strain spreads considerably quicker, and there's a tiny window to prevent it from spreading- this move makes sense to me. Especially when looking at the losses- which are some games and the ONE cross country event all year for the B1G.

BTW, given how there's still a hangover of the CDC from the previous administration, yes, for now, I do put more trust in the Michigan Department of Health. Especially when they are directly involved.

The CDC says that the U.K. strain is between 30% and 70% more infectious than the original strain. That's a significant difference and, it caused major hospital bed availability issues in England when it really took off right before Christmas. Michael Osterholm is a weekly guest on a very popular talk-radio show in the Twin Cities and, two Thursdays ago he predicted that the U.K. strain would become the dominant strain within 4-6 weeks. And, that would cause Minnesota's daily case numbers to rise to possibly double what they were when we paused all youth and high school sports on Nov. 18 -- about 6,000 per day then so, between 10K and 12K with the new strain. Sorry Hockey buckeye but, science isn't on your side in this specific debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X