Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 2020-2021 Yost town feels like a ghost town

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

    Michigan Dept. of Heath has more info than the athletes (and there are Doctors as part of the Dept of Health)
    Only part of my previous post was concerning how the athletes feel about this, did you overlook the part how the combined medical centers of the B1G far exceed the Michigan Dept. of health in knowledge, experience and expertise? And did you also know that even with the new strain the CDC guidelines do not go as far as what the Health Dept. has forced upon you?
    My whole point is no other knowledgeable medical authority says what happened at Michigan was warranted.
    Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 01-27-2021, 07:20 AM.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      Only part of my previous post was concerning how the athletes feel about this, did you overlook the part how the combined medical centers of the B1G far exceed the Michigan Dept. of health in knowledge, experience and expertise? And did you also know that even with the new strain the CDC guidelines do not go as far as what the Health Dept. has forced upon you?
      My whole point is no other knowledgeable medical authority says what happened at Michigan was warranted.
      Did they all say they have the contact tracing info? That's the part that is the real open question.

      Local news is telling people if you were at X or Y store between A and B times, you should go get tested. This is far more reaching than normal exposure. For the nominal strain, the nominal process may be correct. This is the new strand, and contact tracing is why the whole thing got shut down.

      Again, the gain vs. loss makes this a lot easier than just whining about it. It's not a cancelation, it's two weeks with a finite number of events missed. The only group that fully misses out is cross country, since the ONE event for the entire season is during the shut down. Nobody is losing jobs, or companies being shut down permanently- games are being missed- and that's it.

      That vs. the spread potential based on the contact tracing, well... I really don't understand why people are so whiny about it.

      Comment


      • #48
        Considering we in the community know that a person with the new variant was at the grocery store and the mall, it is possible that if this individual is a student athlete they also used common resources/buildings on campus. I don't know if the academic center is open for the student athletes that are on campus, but if it is, that is a possible reason for wanting other athletes to quarantine.

        The Daily article said that as of Saturday night there were 5 known cases and 15 presumed cases of the B.1.1.7 variant in the athletic department. Sounds like it is already spreading.

        I get the student athlete frustration, and the point they brought up which is, this variant is here now, making the student athletes quarantine for 2 weeks may slow it, but it's going to spread, and then what do you do in 2 weeks when it's growing in the rest of the community? However, I'm with MichVandal on this, it's a handful of sporting events, those aren't worth risking someone's life over.

        I'll also defend Michigan's governor and her orders, because I can see the dates those orders went into effect are reflected in the data I've gathered on Michigan throughout this pandemic. I'm appreciative of her trying to keep as many of us alive as possible, but I also haven't had any significant financial impact from the pandemic which I know isn't true for everyone.

        Sad we aren't going to watch hockey tonight, but college hockey shouldn't be played on a Wednesday anyway.



        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.
        Arenas visited:
        7 B1G
        9 WCHA (all except Huntsville)
        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)

        Comment


        • #49
          To add to the information, students are being told to shelter in place. Not just athletes, all students. Until Feb 8.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

            What doctors? The B1G conference has the strictest Covid protocols in all of college athletics. Every member school has medical centers that are cutting edge in medicine in this country and whose doctors have contributed to the rules the conference follows and monitor and work with the CDC on a daily basis and you are implying the Michigan Department of Health is a source of greater knowledge on the subject?
            I'm not trying to be insulting to you but I'm pretty certain the current protocols were more than adequate.
            Dude, it was President Schlissel NOT Whitmer. Get your facts straight, and remember QAnon isn't real....

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              Apparently this was not mandated by the school or conference but under Michigan's insane governor's directives through the health dept.
              Uh, no.
              This WAS direct from Schlissel. There was a comment issued by the U saying the Governor's office and MDHHS had nothing to do with it.
              Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
              Row 1
              Seats 6 & 7
              Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass


              9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by JoeZ View Post

                Uh, no.
                This WAS direct from Schlissel. There was a comment issued by the U saying the Governor's office and MDHHS had nothing to do with it.
                Then I stand corrected and will make a more factual statement, he's as big a moron as Ohio State's recent string of President's.

                Comment


                • #53
                  I was worried about the 3 week layoff but that 2nd period was something to behold.
                  Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                  Row 1
                  Seats 6 & 7
                  Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass


                  9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                    I was worried about the 3 week layoff but that 2nd period was something to behold.
                    No kidding. Pretty nice to have that happen.

                    Also, it was nice to see the 25th anniversary to the '96 team on MGOBLUE. Good memories- we avoided going to EL for the Semi's based on what happened a few years before, and didn't think to go to the Semi on Thursday. That was the time you could get tickets on site, which we did among thousands of other fans coming down from Ann Arbor.

                    For some reason, coming back, we went to Yost instead of home, and didn't wait long for the team busses to arrive. Pretty awesome.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by MichVandal View Post
                      Also, it was nice to see the 25th anniversary to the '96 team on MGOBLUE. Good memories- we avoided going to EL for the Semi's based on what happened a few years before, and didn't think to go to the Semi on Thursday. That was the time you could get tickets on site, which we did among thousands of other fans coming down from Ann Arbor.
                      I had confidence and got my tix as soon as they went on sale. Had some great seats.
                      Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                      Row 1
                      Seats 6 & 7
                      Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass


                      9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        I have a feeling that the B1G "irregular season" title will come down to you guys and our Gophers.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          I can't understand how your team can't get the yellow in the helmet to match the yellow in the jerseys. I do say I did like the look today. Pretty sharp.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            I have a feeling that the B1G "irregular season" title will come down to you guys and our Gophers.
                            The scoring seems to be very dependent on the other goalie- they can almost score at will on some, but once a team changes- the goals dry up. We will see...

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              I have a feeling that the B1G "irregular season" title will come down to you guys and our Gophers.
                              REALLY?!?!?!
                              I see the Badgers and Gophers battling it out for the #1 seed in the conference tourney.

                              11 points is a lot to make up to catch the Badgers, especially considering the remaining games.
                              2 in Madison v Notre Dame
                              2 in Madison v OSU
                              2 in East Landfill

                              As opposed to
                              2 in Columbus
                              2 in Ann Arbor v Ariz. St.
                              2 in Minneapolis

                              As for making up those 11 points I don't see any way especially considering there are only 12 available considering those 2 against Ariz. St. are not conference games. The Wolverines would have to win out and the Badgers lose all. If anything I can see the opposite happening as much more likely but the badgers don't need to sweep. One win among the final 6 games puts them and the Gophers on home ice for the B1G tourney.
                              Last edited by JoeZ; 02-19-2021, 02:44 PM.
                              Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                              Row 1
                              Seats 6 & 7
                              Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass


                              9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by JoeZ View Post

                                REALLY?!?!?!
                                I see the Badgers and Gophers battling it out for the #1 seed in the conference tourney.

                                11 points is a lot to make up to catch the Badgers, especially considering the remaining games.
                                2 in Madison v Notre Dame
                                2 in Madison v OSU
                                2 in East Landfill

                                As opposed to
                                2 in Columbus
                                2 in Ann Arbor v Ariz. St.
                                2 in Minneapolis

                                As for making up those 11 points I don't see any way especially considering there are only 12 available considering those 2 against Ariz. St. are not conference games. The Wolverines would have to win out and the Badgers lose all. If anything I can see the opposite happening as much more likely but the badgers don't need to sweep. One win among the final 6 games puts them and the Gophers on home ice for the B1G tourney.
                                Don't forget, we still have the possibility of making up three games that were postponed due to the pause. 2 with Penn State and 1 with sparty, all games at Yost. The single sparty game will be easy to make up. The 2 with Penn State is a little more challenging.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X