This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Maybe this is all a ploy by the 10 schools involved to make sure Alabama and Alaska properly support these 3 institutions?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      What if this is all about getting their attention to open dialog for there to be changes? Were the NCHC teams shady? At what point are you supposed to tell someone you're leaving? Do you tell your boss you're looking at other jobs or do you tell your boss when you have another job and you're leaving? Is either of those shady? They are being upfront and honest about their potential intentions to leave by the rules of the bylaws as far as I can tell.
      Upfront? They literally did a 5pm Friday news dump and then referred all questions to an outside party.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        Maybe this is all a ploy by the 10 schools involved to make sure Alabama and Alaska properly support these 3 institutions?
        Just because you keep saying it doesn’t mean it’s true.

“Hey! Properly support your teams! You won’t have a conference to play in to fully justify that support but do it!”

I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
          let the snarking and trolling begin! I'd like to see whatever the new league name is get transformed into something as good NaCHos. Even the coaches call it that.
          I may be wrong but I'm betting on the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (catchy name, btw).

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Upfront? They literally did a 5pm Friday news dump and then referred all questions to an outside party.
            What does the timing of the news dump change, would the story or outcome have changed? For the ten relatively small cities involved, it was going to be a big news event regardless of the date they announced their intent to form their own conference.

Will it become the LWCHA - Less Western College Hockey Assoc.?
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              Shouldn't the ploy also include LSSU and FSU?

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                What does the timing of the news dump change, would the story or outcome have changed? For the ten relatively small cities involved, it was going to be a big news event regardless of the date they announced their intent to form their own conference.

Will it become the LWCHA - Less Western College Hockey Assoc.?
                The timing meant that the involved wouldn’t have to comment on it directly for at least 3 days, in reality it’s more because this week is a holiday week. By doing it they essentially force the press to not come to them directly and go to their hired gun.
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I’ve avoided chipping in until now. The current WCHA is composed of mostly D2 schools with three at a distance. From an academic point students miss more class time (lots of air options to Alaska in the summer, not so much in the winter). From an athletic point 1-2 trips to Alaska each year. A game starting at 7 Alaska time is 11 or midnight for the visitors. I can understand why the other 7 want to avoid these.

So what’s next in my humble view...

Big 10 is expecting Illinois to pull the trigger soon...if Illinois pulls out they might take Arizona State or stay at 7.
                  Hockey East - Arizona State could end up here as strange as it sounds.
                  Atlantic - best landing spot for Alabama. If not here they would have to hope the 7 let them stay or go independent again.
                  NCHC - I don’t see any changes unless someone (WMU or Miami) wants out and Arizona wants in.
                  ECAC - no changes unless Ivy breaks away.

Alaska schools - I don’t see how both can survive. The best option might be to drop one and then try to convince the 7 to let the other stay since it would now be 1 trip a year. If that were to fail they would find it difficult to be successful as an independent as I can’t see how they could get more than a handful of home games.

That said, I would hope at least 2 of the 3 left out can find a way to continue.

Comment

• I enjoy seeing some Tech fans try to justify/rationalize the action of their university since people are calling it shady. No sanctimonious high ground anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
                      Yup. I can’t wait to see what school is next that BG and Mankato deems unworthy.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I love this statement by bale31 over on the SiouxSports.com message board. One team has joined D-I college hockey in these seven years, Arizona State. Yes, others have or are exploring, but only one team has made the move.

"....one of the positives that people have liked to point out over the last 7ish years is that the breakup of the old WCHA and CCHA and formation of BTHC and NCHC created all sorts of supposed opportunity to spawn new programs. Fast forward 7 years and no one wants to allow anyone new into their conferences. Big Ten has a superiority complex. The NCHC has a fear of others bringing them down. The WCHA has real financial issues. So, what opportunity is really is there for expansion? To go independent?

I guess this just leads me back to the point I tried to make in my original post.... college hockey lost it's innocence when all of these changes started. There is no "greater good of college hockey" any longer, if there ever was. Many of us idealized what college hockey was and it isn't that any more. It's all about how much money can go into each individual college's pockets. It's just unfortunate."
                        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
                          I enjoy seeing some Tech fans try to justify/rationalize the action of their university since people are calling it shady. No sanctimonious high ground anymore.
                          I can both call leaving bull**** and still think the way they’re doing it isn’t shady. I am not happy to for MTU to be on this side of things but I can certainly understand it way more than the NCHC formation.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
                            The sad irony is LSSU and FSU have both had years where they missed the playoffs, including very recently. No wonder they want to get rid of us...🙄
                            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                              I’ve avoided chipping in until now. The current WCHA is composed of mostly D2 schools with three at a distance. From an academic point students miss more class time (lots of air options to Alaska in the summer, not so much in the winter). From an athletic point 1-2 trips to Alaska each year. A game starting at 7 Alaska time is 11 or midnight for the visitors. I can understand why the other 7 want to avoid these.

So what’s next in my humble view...

Big 10 is expecting Illinois to pull the trigger soon...if Illinois pulls out they might take Arizona State or stay at 7.
                              Hockey East - Arizona State could end up here as strange as it sounds.
                              Atlantic - best landing spot for Alabama. If not here they would have to hope the 7 let them stay or go independent again.
                              NCHC - I don’t see any changes unless someone (WMU or Miami) wants out and Arizona wants in.
                              ECAC - no changes unless Ivy breaks away.

Alaska schools - I don’t see how both can survive. The best option might be to drop one and then try to convince the 7 to let the other stay since it would now be 1 trip a year. If that were to fail they would find it difficult to be successful as an independent as I can’t see how they could get more than a handful of home games.

That said, I would hope at least 2 of the 3 left out can find a way to continue.
                              The shady part IMO is how evidently they've been planning/talking about this for 3 years and didn't keep any of the three schools in the loop, which absolutely would have given them time to come up with a contingency plan and is also just the right thing to do.

I actually agree that, sadly, having only one program in Alaska would be not only more sustainable but would probably help a lot with competitiveness (better funding and less recruiting competition). As much as I want that program to be UAA I suspect that for valid reasons it would be UAF if either do survive.

Side note.. there are plenty of air options to Alaska in the winter.

Comment

• Another thing I find odd is that Huntsville is getting the shaft in this. While I hate it, I understand not wanting to have the Alaska schools in the conference although it seems one would be very workable.

Huntsville on the other hand just made a commitment to a new arena and really isn't that much of a travel burden. Somewhat far, sure, but not really that much compared to the footprint of the conference and not the time zone issue Alaska presents. Seems like a program making a long term commitment that should be a fine fit.

Comment

Working...
                                X