• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTUHuskies
    replied
    Re: New WCHA is dead

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    That obviously is a lie because PSU had a hockey team a year before the B1G had a hockey conference. If it was a steadfast rule, the B1G would have happen a year earlier.
    I knew they played one season as an independent but I thought that was logistics of scheduling and getting the other five out of their conferences. So as I said, I'm frequently wrong about what I think I heard

Leave a comment:

• Numbers
    replied

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    The first year for Penn State was their transition year. They played a mixed schedule that included club & D-3 teams. Then when they went full NCAA, that’s when the Big Ten league began.

This is the way I remember it as well. As I also recall, Alvarez in Wisconsin was the one who pushed that rule, although i can't remember the reasoning, and it really didn't have anything to do with hockey, but hockey got caught by it.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    That obviously is a lie because PSU had a hockey team a year before the B1G had a hockey conference. If it was a steadfast rule, the B1G would have happen a year earlier.
    The first year for Penn State was their transition year. They played a mixed schedule that included club & D-3 teams. Then when they went full NCAA, that’s when the Big Ten league began.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    WMU has value to the Nachos as Michigan is a decent/good recruiting base.

there isn't much value for Miami being in the Nacho. Outside of Miami and the random Blue Jacket's fan, very few in SE Ohio knows hockey exists. The value they might add is a rival for WMU and nice barn.
    Oxford’s in SW Ohio.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    I may be (and am frequently) wrong but I thought the B1G has had a policy that dictates the formation of a B1G conference if 6 or more member schools compete at the D1 level in any sport and all member schools playing in said sport are obligated to compete in the B1G unless there is no B1G conference in that sport.

If that is the case, as soon as Terry Pegula bought Penn State a team, the 6-team requirement was met and the other five had no choice but to leave the WCHA and CCHA.

IMHO neither the WCHA (10 teams) nor the CCHA (8 teams) would have folded. Both had a good mix of schools and other than the AK schools they had relatively easy travel. Having the AK schools split between the tow made having them in conference a bit more tolerable.

So, if I am right about the B1G, I lay the responsibility of this whole mess squarely at the feet of DU and UND as the Nacho instigators.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X