No announcement yet.

Starting D1 Hockey Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm originally from the Chicago area, and I'd love to see NCAA hockey there again. Northwestern? DePaul? Loyola? But I wonder if the area isn't hockey-saturated, with the Blackhawks, AHL Wolves and Ice Hogs, USHL Steel
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
      I'm originally from the Chicago area, and I'd love to see NCAA hockey there again. Northwestern? DePaul? Loyola? But I wonder if the area isn't hockey-saturated, with the Blackhawks, AHL Wolves and Ice Hogs, USHL Steel
      IL at large has about as many USAH registrants as California and Pennsylvania, if you want to compare how many teams are supported in those parts.

The biggest hurdle with the Chicago-area schools is that only UIC has access to an appropriately sized arena (3,000 to 8,000, depending on the school and where they’d be trying to fit into the landscape). And we’ve mentioned the issues there.

Money is the biggest (by a wide margin, I’d guess) obstacle for starting a program and that’s a pretty expensive obstacle.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
        I'm originally from the Chicago area, and I'd love to see NCAA hockey there again. Northwestern? DePaul? Loyola? But I wonder if the area isn't hockey-saturated, with the Blackhawks, AHL Wolves and Ice Hogs, USHL Steel
        Just my .02 but I can't see DePaul or Loyola happening. Neither is particularly deep-pocketed and therefore unlikely to invest in something that would compete against hoops for dollars and attention. Northwestern certainly has the resources but has signaled zero interest in following some of their B1G brethren into hockey.

Generally speaking, the big cities tend to be pro sports towns. Different story in places like Grand Forks where college sports is the only show in town.

That being said, Champaign-Urbana is far enough away from Chicago that Illinois could be a consistent draw. But waiting for Illini Hockey is stuff for a different thread.

Last edited by Split-N; 05-02-2021, 09:21 AM.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          Of all the schools listed above, the one that surprises me most about not jumping in is Arizona, if only to keep up with rival Arizona State. The Arizona club program, at least when I was there, had all the trappings of a varsity program, including nice arena, season ticket holders, hefty budget (at least for a club program). Also sorta surprised that UNLV hasn't taken the plunge although maybe the Vegas/Henderson Knights might not be enthralled about the prospect of revenue competition.

Don't know what to think about Illinois anymore. The silence has been deafening.
          I don’t really think it’s competition for the same dollar though. The same way the wild and goofs don’t compete for the same dollar. If anything, having thriving college and pro communities are mutually beneficial.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I think there’s something to the theory that NHL teams sort of create their own demand.

I don’t know entirely how to quantify (much less prove) that claim, but I get the feeling that there’s a certain percentage of butts in seats that you get regardless of what local engagement is with a sport on a youth/HS/college/minor league level.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              I think there’s something to the theory that NHL teams sort of create their own demand.

I don’t know entirely how to quantify (much less prove) that claim, but I get the feeling that there’s a certain percentage of butts in seats that you get regardless of what local engagement is with a sport on a youth/HS/college/minor league level.
              Hockey is like any religion: There are true believers before you arrive, but you still have to create converts also.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Lindenwood Hoping For Summer Announcement on D-I Move

St. Louis-Area School Targeting Fall 2022 For Upgrade to NCAA Varsity Status

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...For-Summer.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                  Hockey is an expensive, money losing sport, so any school that wants to start a DI team has to be prepared to spend and lose millions each and every year . . . . So any school interested in adding men's hockey needs to be able to budget for that every year.
                  Title IX compliance might also be part of the financial consideration. If a school is up against limits, adding a men's team might require adding another team opportunity for women.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

Title IX compliance might also be part of the financial consideration. If a school is up against limits, adding a men's team might require adding another team opportunity for women.
                    It might be the exact reason that having a women’s hockey team is a better indicator than anything else (it seems, at least based on the past 12 months or so) for starting a men’s program.

The only shame here (IMO) is that it’s Lindenwood, and not a resurrection of St Louis U, benefitting from the Blues’ generosity.

Comment

• Originally posted by slowe View Post

I hope that was referring to Illinois? Whoever “they” are can be confident sure, but in like 5-10 years or what?

It’s been killing me waiting. Supposedly they were going to announce the launch last spring. Then they said wait for the dust to settle on COVID. I’d say by this point everyone should have a good idea of how it will impact the financials of the donors, the school, and athletic (football) revenue.

The AD typically does an end of the year review around May / June. If he doesn’t provide solid info on hockey I’m going to…..well….do nothing but continue to wait in frustration.
                      It's IL.
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post

It's IL.
                        So which politicians need paid off to make this happen?

Comment

Or the reverse. Case in point: Syracuse, which already has a women's team. Apparently, Title IX is in balance on the shores of Lake Onondaga, so if Syracuse becomes the much-dreamed-of 12th men's team in Hockey East, it would have to either start another women's sport or pull the rug out from under an existing men's sport (which would not be basketball).
                          Last edited by Split-N; 05-06-2021, 07:13 PM.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                            if Syracuse becomes the much-dreamed-of 12th men's team in Hockey East, it would have to either start another women's sport or pull the rug out from under an existing men's sport (which would not be basketball).
                            Or football, and 'Cuse football has had *a lot* of lean years in recent times.

Comment

Or football, and 'Cuse football has had *a lot* of lean years in recent times.
                              Win or Lose, they still make loads of $ for the school
                              Can't we all just get along?
                              Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post

Win or Lose, they still make loads of $ for the school
                                Precisely. The net surplus has been reported to be around $15 million in recent years, although unclear how that breaks down via source (TV revenue versus Carrier Dome attendance, etc.)

Comment

Working...
                                X